On-Course Behaviors That Drive You Crazy

for me it's when paired up with a fairly novice player, who curses every shot.... i mean, I'm ok with the occasional %&@#! after a shot if it was a critical mistake that was contrary to the way you've been playing...but when you're a 20+ handicap like me, you really just need to accept it and get better, and not curse the gods like they must have influenced the shot's ill fate!

for me it's when paired up with a fairly novice player, who curses every shot.... i mean, I'm ok with the occasional %&@#! after a shot if it was a critical mistake that was contrary to the way you've been playing...but when you're a 20+ handicap like me, you really just need to accept it and get better, and not curse the gods like they must have influenced the shot's ill fate!

I can relate to that! And sometimes the player will follow the curse up with: "man, I'm so much better than this. I just don't know what's happening today". Yeah, right!

I hate being in a group and it seems everyone is rushing to finish the round and walking at a stupidly fast pace. I get out on the course to relax, not have a bloody workout!
I also can't stand hitting a shot into a bunker and getting there only to discover the last person in it didn't rake the bunker, AT ALL. I can handle it when they've been raked badly but not at all does my head in.

I hate being in a group and it seems everyone is rushing to finish the round and walking at a stupidly fast pace. I get out on the course to relax, not have a bloody workout!
I also can't stand hitting a shot into a bunker and getting there only to discover the last person in it didn't rake the bunker, AT ALL. I can handle it when they've been raked badly but not at all does my head in.

I've always felt the same way. I hate slow play and I hate speed golf. I hurry to get home from work to get to the course. Part of the enjoyment of golf is being away from work, leaving the worlds troubles behind and enjoying family/friends and the great outdoors.

The one thing I love about this topic and the slow play threads is none of here at THP are part of the problem.........

there only to discover the last person in it didn't rake the bunker, AT ALL. I can handle it when they've been raked badly but not at all does my head in.

when I leave a bunker I try to rake it but there is usually one huge problem.........there's no sand left in it to rake!

when I leave a bunker I try to rake it but there is usually one huge problem.........there's no sand left in it to rake!

Brilliant!

I've always felt the same way. I hate slow play and I hate speed golf. I hurry to get home from work to get to the course. Part of the enjoyment of golf is being away from work, leaving the worlds troubles behind and enjoying family/friends and the great outdoors.

The one thing I love about this topic and the slow play threads is none of here at THP are part of the problem.........

Agree with all you say.
To add to the highlighted part I know this will probably take some heat but a couple things more. I don't like being solicited, and when others are talking work and money etc...
I know business has some how become part of the accepted nature of golf but when I'm there its to get away from work, stresses, and the every day commitments for those few hours. Its kind of a bummer when any such discussions happen for anything more than a hole or two. When nothing but work and business is all that's being discussed and the conversing just keeps up through the whole round like as if the other two individuals in the foursome don't exist. And if you happen to be the only one not in the discussion? heck! may as well leave and go play alone. Especially when its the weekend. Leave the crap behind or go meet afterwards. In the meantime lets just have some good laughs and a good golf comradeship for the few hours and enjoy it without the everyday stresses.

The four (usually) old dudes who take 15 minutes to putt out on the green. Lord knows with that .25 on the line, you have to line up your two-foot putt from all four directions...

slow play
people with no concept of ready golf
the foursome where when its his turn to play has to pull out his laser
now this is fine except why cant they get their number when they
get to their ball
the guy who is waiting for the green to clear from 270 out
and his drive has travelled 230

People who tell you what you did wrong on that shot. Over and over again, when you've never seen them break 100

Then, when you start sending it back at them, whine to to their cart partner that you're kinda being a jerk. I laughed when I was told that.

Loud drunks who have no business playing in the first place.

Multiple things that have already been listed;

- People taking the course too seriously, or making aggressive decisions when they don't have to and complaining when it doesn't pan out.
- Someone else mentioned the "moper". My brother is a prime example. First bad shot he hits his rounds goes to hell, and that shot could be his drive on hole #1.

The guy who takes 15 balls to the practice green on Sat or Sun when the course is packed. Or the guy that is miserable for the rest of the day after a bad start on the first couple holes. Look around,have a beer and relax. You are not paying $ 50+ to be upset all day.

I spend about an extra 15-20 minutes per round picking up litter off the course as I go and it irritates the poo out of me. I get a discount off of my membership for doing it though after the owner saw me doing it.

that video posted was great..

I can deal with most things save the freakout / angry guy. I'm out there to have fun, score where I can, and enjoy myself. We all suck at this game. Stop it.

On another note, one that hasn't been mentioned is never knows where his ball goes guy. That would be me, btw. I mentioned it to my eye doctor and she said, "play with people who are patient. your ability to refocus quickly is impaired." I'm always afraid I'm driving people nuts because it is frequently hard for me to see where the ball goes off the tee...and i'm only 43. argh.

Agree with all you say.
To add to the highlighted part I know this will probably take some heat but a couple things more. I don't like being solicited, and when others are talking work and money etc...
I know business has some how become part of the accepted nature of golf but when I'm there its to get away from work, stresses, and the every day commitments for those few hours. Its kind of a bummer when any such discussions happen for anything more than a hole or two. When nothing but work and business is all that's being discussed and the conversing just keeps up through the whole round like as if the other two individuals in the foursome don't exist. And if you happen to be the only one not in the discussion? heck! may as well leave and go play alone. Especially when its the weekend. Leave the crap behind or go meet afterwards. In the meantime lets just have some good laughs and a good golf comradeship for the few hours and enjoy it without the everyday stresses.

I almost never play with people I don't know and had forgotten the "Invisible Man" syndrome. They are respectful, quiet, and considerate of each other but chat, rattle their equipment, and don't bother to watch where I hit my ball when it is my turn to play. I've headed back to the first tee a few times after a few holes of this sort of nonsense.

People who;
- Talk when others are hitting
- Dont let faster Groups pass when possible
- Constantly try hitting shots way over their own capacity which forces the Group to search their balls all the time
- Dont pay attention to where their ball lands = makes Group search
- Dont applaud my 330 drives :clapp:

I completely forgot about the guy that hits the cart gas and unlocks the break in your backswing! :mad:

Not that big a deal, it's not something that makes me angry but:

I seem to always get paired in the cart with someone who likes to mash the gas right as I'm taking a drink or leaning forward to grab something out of the storage compartment.

I can deal with most things, but there are 2 that get me everytime.

1. Don't talk or make noise in my back swing. I know a couple of guys that I USE to play with that do this regularly, and don't think it's a big deal.

2. Don't throw tantrums/ clubs. I have literally taken my bag off of the cart and walked back to the clubhouse because of this. We all get upset but come on, we are grown men, not children.

1 people that throw clubs
2 people that cuss a lot
3 people that think they know everything
4 people that have an excuse for every bad shot or complain about something when they hit a good shot

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

I almost never play with people I don't know and had forgotten the "Invisible Man" syndrome. They are respectful, quiet, and considerate of each other but chat, rattle their equipment, and don't bother to watch where I hit my ball when it is my turn to play. I've headed back to the first tee a few times after a few holes of this sort of nonsense.

Yea, I am always helping everyone in watching where balls go and help look as I get to the area. I had a bad experience where a pair of guys in a cart (I was walking) would never ever bother to help track my ball or bother pointing it out as they ride off. Even drive right past it to the point of almost rolling over it. They would even hit their ball without even realizing I had yet to hit. Yet here I was helping them find any and every ball they had to track and look for. It was just so darn disrespectful I eventually had to say something about it. I would help them find a ball and right from that point they would actually just drive on up right past my ball location without helping to point it out and just go up past it and hit theirs again. They apologized and realized how rude it was but then continued the same behavior anyway. I was like "what the ___"

I guess I'm new to this game and play with a select group of guys who are pretty laid back but ... is club throwing really as prevalent as it sounds? Even on my worst days I don't think I've so much as flipped or dropped a club out of my hands. I can't imagine chucking one.

Late to the party on this one, but I see most of mine have been posted already. Cigarettes/Cigar butts left on the course. Cans/Bottles/Wrappers left around the course. People that don't know how to walk on a green kills me. Guys who come out to the course to get hammered. I have no problem with guys coming out and having a few beers during the round, but keep it within reason. People who take a ridiculous amount of practice swings. Another thing that kills me is when 2 guys will be riding in a cart and the driver drops off the passenger to hit his ball, then leaves him there and drives to his ball. Passenger hits ball and stays where his ball was. Driver then hits his ball, gets back into the cart, drives back to where the passenger was dropped off and then advance up the to the green. Kills me. Just wait till your partner is done hitting it has to be quicker that way.

Back