Callaway X-Hot 3 Deep Fairway Wood Review Thread

callypreowned has had consistently good feedback forever.

Really interested in a RH 13* version of this club. Anyone know where I could snag one for the $100-120 range? Also, has anyone had any good or bad experiences with www.callawaygolfpreowned.com? They have used versions of this club, but there are no pictures.
The "club condition guide" is pretty reliable, I have bought a few clubs from there & they have always been in great condition

Have had the 3 Deep in my bag for the last couple of rounds. The big thing was to get the right tee-height, somewhere in between my normal 3 wood and driver tee heights seems to work for me. This thing is a fairway finder! Distance wise it is very long and consistently long. I don't seem to get the odd flyer that goes for miles or the one that drops like a dead dodo at shortish length. A good striked driver is about 20 yards longer, but not as accurate consistently.

I am very pleased with this purchase! Last round I only used my driver twice, the rest was all 3 Deep on the par 4's and 5's. This game is so much more enjoyable from the short grass!:D

Really interested in a RH 13* version of this club. Anyone know where I could snag one for the $100-120 range? Also, has anyone had any good or bad experiences with www.callawaygolfpreowned.com? They have used versions of this club, but there are no pictures.

I got mine in that exact price range on eBay. Was everything it was described to be including what few scratches it had.

sent without the boss's knowledge...

I've read through the whole thread and have a couple of questions for you schmoes that I didn't see that you already answered. First question is -- while I know that they use a different form of the Project X shaft in these than what came in the X Hot driver and fairway woods, how does this shaft compare to the stock shaft (of the same flex) that came in the X Hot driver and fairway woods (not X Hot Pro as I never hit those)? I'm curious if they perform similarly/display similar characteristics. Other question is that I have read in numerous posts that finding the proper tee height is key to maximizing results so I was curious if there is a general consensus, say as to how much of the ball is above the top of the club at address? Thanks as always in advance.

I've read through the whole thread and have a couple of questions for you schmoes that I didn't see that you already answered. First question is -- while I know that they use a different form of the Project X shaft in these than what came in the X Hot driver and fairway woods, how does this shaft compare to the stock shaft (of the same flex) that came in the X Hot driver and fairway woods (not X Hot Pro as I never hit those)? I'm curious if they perform similarly/display similar characteristics. Other question is that I have read in numerous posts that finding the proper tee height is key to maximizing results so I was curious if there is a general consensus, say as to how much of the ball is above the top of the club at address? Thanks as always in advance.

I've not played the 'made for' red version of the shaft in the xHot range, but I have played the 'aftermarket' blue PXv that came stock in the 3 Deep.

I expect the red version was made to fit a broader number of people, so higher launch / higher spin / less tip stiff. I can say that the 6.0 PXv blue is a fairly stout shaft with a stiff tip section, certainly towards that end of the spectrum relative to other shafts in the same flex and weight category imo.

As for tee height, experiment and see what works best for you!

I concur with mab13. I even think that the stock 6.0 PXv is extremely stout, almost board like in my estimation. I can use stiff flex and some x-flex shafts but I did not like the feel for me.

Thanks. I ordered a 14.5 degree 3 Deep in regular flex from Callaway Used since I teeter on the edge between stiff and regular shaft. I've always found Project X woods shafts to be fairly stout. I have some trepidation since a few years ago I tried a 13 degree Tour Edge CB3 that I struggled getting air under but I think that was a fairly unforgiving club and 13 isn't enough for my swing speed. If I can hit the 14.5 I could see leaving the driver at home as my driving inconsistency and the strokes wasted as a result thereof is my biggest nemesis. Heck, I'm not even being internet length greedy here. If I could get 225 every time in the fairway with the 3 Deep I'd sign up today and my handicap would drop 3-5 strokes at least.

I'm actually going to sell my 14.5. Did not get the explosive feeling and sound I like.

I use a couple different tee heights so it probably just what you re comfortable with. I'll do one teed low and swing like I was hitting from the fairway, kind of like tiger's stinger and the other a lil higher with about a third of the ball above the face. It's a pretty versatile club overall

Last edited:
I'll be buying one this weekend.

I'm actually going to sell my 14.5. Did not get the explosive feeling and sound I like.

Surprised by this. Explosiveness was the first thing I noticed with the 3 deep

Since I ordered one and it wont be here until friday I had to go to the store and get friendly with it. This shot was a tad spinny, but it had a different shaft in it. But it will be great in the bag

je5egaby.jpg

Last edited:
Took a trip to the indoor driving range today with my recently purchased 13* 3 deep. I can already tell I'm going to love this club. The ball launches off the club on solid strikes and my shot dispersion doesn't spray everywhere like it tends to with the driver. Halfway through last season I basically stopped using my driver, and in return I hit more fairways and shot lower scores. I'm going to at least start this season with two fairway woods and no driver in the bag.

I'm very tempted to get one of this to replace my driver, I get 4-6 penalty shots per round because of my driver..

Got the 14.5 version of the 3deep. I've played 2 rounds with it. The first round i was killing it, easy soft swings go a long way, I'm a high spinner so no launching challenges here. Second round i played i couldn't hit it for some reason. Will try it for the third time tomorrow, I'm sure it will continue to impress.
Any ideas if there is really a noticeable difference between the 14.5 and the 13 degree version? , is it really longer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got the 14.5 version of the 3deep. I've played 2 rounds with it. The first round i was killing it, easy soft swings go a long way, I'm a high spinner so no launching challenges here. Second round i played i couldn't hit it for some reason. Will try it for the third time tomorrow, I'm sure it will continue to impress.
Any ideas if there is really a noticeable difference between the 14.5 and the 13 degree version? , is it really longer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I got 10-15yds more carry on the launch monitor when I tried them out. Much tougher to hit off the ground though. Needs a good swing.

Callaway X-Hot 3 Deep Fairway Wood Preview

Callaway X-Hot 3 Deep Fairway Wood Preview

Does the 3 deep Pro use a special ferrule or just a standard wood .335 ferrule?

Last edited:
I have used the 3 Deep and 5 Deep for 4 rounds now. I can hit them both from the deck as long as I put a decent swing on them. I don't find them any harder to hit than the Cleveland Mashies which were my previous fairway woods.

I have used the 3 Deep and 5 Deep for 4 rounds now. I can hit them both from the deck as long as I put a decent swing on them. I don't find them any harder to hit than the Cleveland Mashies which were my previous fairway woods.

I never thought the Mashies were that easy to hit from the fairway. Also, if you measure the club, the deep and the Mashie might have a very similar face height, while the Deep may actually be longer front to back (which puts more weight down, low and back aiding launch). I wouldn't be surprised to hear the 5Deep and the F5 play very similarly.

I never thought the Mashies were that easy to hit from the fairway. Also, if you measure the club, the deep and the Mashie might have a very similar face height, while the Deep may actually be longer front to back (which puts more weight down, low and back aiding launch). I wouldn't be surprised to hear the 5Deep and the F5 play very similarly.

You might be right. I had an F3 and F7.....and the 3Deep and 5Deep seem just as easy to get in the air.

Just curious if anyone has tested the x-hot pro 13.5° against the x-hot pro 3-Deep 13° ? My use would be as a tee club only. Also would like to see how the Mashie TF 14° and/or the 588, 14° compare to the 3-Deep 13° as tee only clubs.

It is my understanding that the x-hot pro actually spins less than the 3-Deep. Is this what you are experiencing ?

Back