Nike Covert 2.0 Driver Preview

Stiff flex for you hawk?

Yep. Stock stiff.

The KK Tini (spelling may be incorrect). It seemed fine. I suspect bigger swingers may look elsewhere though (see below).

Was it too soft for you? I just ask because I thought it was decent and I'm not a big swing speed guy with the driver.

Yes I found it was too soft, particularly in the tip. My swing speed floats between 110-115 and I struggle with active tip shafts. I'm playing the Aldila RIP Phenom in 70tx in my tour and love the stability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Makes perfect sense and I appreciate the feedback.

I thought Rory was playing the Kuro Kage TiNi, and he's definitely a big swinger. He's listed as playing the Tour-X, but I wonder what kind of tipping he puts on his shafts, if any at all. Seems to work for him.

I was able to stop by the local Mom n' Pop golf store today hoping to get a chance to hit all the newly released drivers. I've been playing the Callaway FT-IZ with the stock stiff aldila voodoo for years now and have finally decided to upgrade this season. I figured I'd stop in and hit all the drivers with the early hype such as the Bio Cell and Big Bertha. Unfortunately the shop did not receive these demos yet so I ended up swinging the Covert 2.0 Tour. Let me first talk about my swing so you have some idea of how to use (or not use) my review. I have an average tempo swing that is pretty smooth at the top. Ball speed with the driver of 155-165 mph. I have always had a low trajectory with a slight fade (something I'm looking to address with a new driver). Ok now on to the driver....

The set up of the Nike Covert 2.0 Tour was with the Kuro Kage Silver 60g Stiff with the clubhead set at 10.5 degrees. I love the look of this club even though its next to identical to last year. The traditional pear shape clubhead sets up well at address and I particularly liked the contrast between the red crown and black face allowing for easy alignment. The Kuro Kage Silver fits the feel I prefer in a driver shaft which is slightly active but stable enough to not hit a snap hook (could be that TiNi technology they are marketing in the shaft). I found myself happy with the launch numbers with a launch angle of 13-13.5 and average spin rates of 2800. For reference, I also swung the TM SLDR stock stiff and had spin rate closer to 3000 rpms (I felt the shaft was a little whippy/weak for my liking). Anywats, the area which really stood out for me in the driver was the fact that I found myself finding the center of the clubface over and over again. Not sure why this was the case but something just seemed to click. The shot shape was a slight draw with a nice tight dispersion with carry around 270-275 and total distnace in the 285-290 range. The one miss I can speak to was when I tried to go after it which resulted in a high push to the right that still went about 270 total and wasn't that far offline. Anyways, don't sleep on this year's Nike as it definetely blew me away with its performance. It will be on my short list when testing/demo-ing the rest of this years drivers.

I have the current gen Covert standard head with the kuro kage silver 70g Stiff and have loved it all last season. I decided to try the new offering and fell immediately in love with the covert 2.0 tour. It feels like a big 3 wood that I can tee low and bust it. I ordered it after 25 swings or so with the 60g x-stiff tour tour shaft. I would have went back with the 70g, but the 60g x-stiff felt fantastic and they didn't have a 70g one to test. I will try it with my current shaft in there when I get it. Ohhh one other thing. Last and new are cut to 45" which I like better and my 107--10mph avg swing speed I don't spray them as much and it feels closer again to my 3 wood.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk

Quite like the look of the ltd edition Perfomance model in black Nike are releasing in May

Quite like the look of the ltd edition Perfomance model in black Nike are releasing in May

Pictures?

suruhyme.jpg

Thing is I'm hitting my 2.0 performance in red with the Tini KK really well...

No it's just the performance model for now...

just picked up a 2.0 tour with the Silver KK TiNi...amazing feeling and really forgiving, compared it against the Alpha and the bio cell + order of best for me....
2.0 tour
Bio cell
Alpha

Amazing how Nike have disguised the 460cc head, it looks bigger than the 1.0 tour at 430cc, but not huge and a definite difference to the 2.0 performance, in fact it looks very similar to the Razr Xtreme at 440cc, but with 460cc for the extra forgiveness, thank you Rory for telling them to make it 460...lol

Arrived today.

baza5yta.jpg

a8u9ynag.jpg

vyjevumu.jpg

na8y8edu.jpg

Very nice. The head cover looks classy

Very nice. The head cover looks classy

I agree. Jury is still out on the grip but I'll give it a try.

I agree. Jury is still out on the grip but I'll give it a try.

Grips are easy enough to change

Planning on using my Fuel shaft from the covert 1.0, but wanna see how the Tini does outdoors.

suruhyme.jpg

Like the black, but I still really like the red look. I dunno it just pops for me with that white Nike logo on it.

So, I walked into the Pro shop to book a tee for the weekend and they had just got one of these and a Big Bertha in for demo, so I took them both down to the range :D

Now, I really wasn't expecting to like this as I wasn't taken on the original covert BUT wow!

I really was hitting it well...

Stock stiff KK but the loft was cranked up to 12*.. I will have them set it to 10.5* the next time I'm up there..

So, I walked into the Pro shop to book a tee for the weekend and they had just got one of these and a Big Bertha in for demo, so I took them both down to the range :D

Now, I really wasn't expecting to like this as I wasn't taken on the original covert BUT wow!

I really was hitting it well...

Stock stiff KK but the loft was cranked up to 12*.. I will have them set it to 10.5* the next time I'm up there..
Looks like you were striping the covert! How did it hold up to the BB??

I hit the 2014 Covert Tour yesterday- WOW! it's a sweet club. The club maker at the Golfsmith I went to was telling me that Nike has a patent on the following: when you adjust the loft on a driver you are also messing with the face (open or close), Nike is the only club maker that offers the adjustable loft without changing the face angle. I thought that was interesting (not sure if it's true).

It's a sweet club.

I hit the 2014 Covert Tour yesterday- WOW! it's a sweet club. The club maker at the Golfsmith I went to was telling me that Nike has a patent on the following: when you adjust the loft on a driver you are also messing with the face (open or close), Nike is the only club maker that offers the adjustable loft without changing the face angle. I thought that was interesting (not sure if it's true).

It's a sweet club.

I think they have the best adjustable hosel in the industry. At least in terms of allowing a user to pick a loft and a face angle, which is definitely important to me.

I think they have the best adjustable hosel in the industry. At least in terms of allowing a user to pick a loft and a face angle, which is definitely important to me.

that is one thing i heard few days ago while doing some research for a new Driver, and found very interesting. I am also hearing the 2.0 is a step up from last years' model.

Don't know much about the stock shaft though, but not worried think i have a few extras laying around if i need to make a change.

Back