Bridgestone J40 Cavity Back Irons

To me having gamed both for a good amount of rounds, the DPC to CB difference forgiveness wise is pretty dang noticeable, especially where most misses occur (toe side) for most am's.

For me, with both pretty much being a players type iron, I honestly don't see the benefit in a large percentage of golfers going CB. You get the same sleek profile with more forgiveness in one, to me you take that and run.

There are obviously exceptions to that and people will play what they want to play, but I just don't think the two can automatically be lumped together as interchangable. Thats just my personal take on it all though.

I don't think I said they were interchangeable. Just that I didn't notice as much of a difference between the two with my experience with them. Hopefully it didn't come off that way.

Hell, I went with the DPCs and I am happy with my decision! I just don't want guys to overlook the CBs just because they are "less forgiving" and more of a players iron. Take them for a test run, wine and dine them and who knows what could happen. I woulda killed for the Test Drive program last year, it sets you guys up wonderfully to get some experience with these bad boys.

Take everyone's opinion on them in, but let the results and conversation with your tour rep be the deciding factor, because that's what really matters in the end and is gonna give you optimum results.

I played the CBs for a while and they are GREAT clubs, and actually pretty forgiving for a "players iron". The only thing that can be intimidating about them is the top line as it is pretty thin looking. The head is not any smaller than any other players CB and feels a whole lot softer IMO than anything else out there. These are beautiful clubs and perform just as well.

After reading so many reviews and countless hours pondering, drooling, what have you I am leaning towards gearing up for the CB's. I ultimately will let the numbers, feel, and Tour Rep weigh in on my final decisions. The CB's are sleek and I can only imagine how they will look at address.

Luckily I will be heading to a fitter to hit these next week.

After reading so many reviews and countless hours pondering, drooling, what have you I am leaning towards gearing up for the CB's. I ultimately will let the numbers, feel, and Tour Rep weigh in on my final decisions. The CB's are sleek and I can only imagine how they will look at address.

I can't wait to hear how that process works out for you dude!!! Where are you going?

As my Capt said I can't wait to hear your results and see what you come up with! I'll be following along closely for sure.

I can't wait to hear how that process works out for you dude!!! Where are you going?

I am looking at Windmill Lakes GC in Ravenna, Oh. Just sent them an email. Also looking at possibly Firestone CC since it is literally in my back yard.

As my Capt said I can't wait to hear your results and see what you come up with! I'll be following along closely for sure.

Extremely excited about this as this will be my first fitting in over 15 years. I am sure the process will be more in depth then it was back in the day.

Not sure if this was covered already, but how much more forgiving are these vs the DPCs?

Friend has a mint set I want to pick up.

There is a vast gap between the two irons in forgiveness. The sweet doors are different and the perimeter weighting is different. Not to mention a thin sole so these are designed for a lower launch.

Anyone playing a GI club will be hard pressed to get the max out of their game with these clubs. That slight miss with GI that limps onto the front of the green will be short with these. That thin shot that holds the back of the green with GI will sail over with these.

MC staffers this is an individual choice that will ultimately affect your team one way or another.

My 6 iron came today. Bought it used off the bay, but it looks as close to brand new as I've seen. I was surprised it's definitely bigger than my ACP 6 iron. I can't wait to swing this thing Sunday.

J406i1.jpeg

J406i3.jpeg

J406i4.jpeg

J406i2.jpeg

It will be interesting to hear your feedback

It will be interesting to hear your feedback

I'm going to have the guy I go to on Sunday bend it 1* degree strong for loft and 2* upright to match the specs of my ACP's. My ACP's are also a 1/2 longer, but I don't want to regrip with a plug just yet. What do you think I'll see Freddie? Less forgiveness than the ACP's?

I'm going to have the guy I go to on Sunday bend it 1* degree strong for loft and 2* upright to match the specs of my ACP's. My ACP's are also a 1/2 longer, but I don't want to regrip with a plug just yet. What do you think I'll see Freddie? Less forgiveness than the ACP's?
Most certainly, but I think you'll be presently surprised when you flush it. I'd love to see your reaction once you blaze one into the air. It's something to behold. Then I want to see your face when you hit a shot you're not familiar with. The club will make you scratch your head, it's that good and can be very demanding.

Most certainly, but I think you'll be presently surprised when you flush it. I'd love to see your reaction once you blaze one into the air. It's something to behold. Then I want to see your face when you hit a shot you're not familiar with. The club will make you scratch your head, it's that good and can be very demanding.

I'll be sure to report back after Sunday with my findings. I'm kinda glad I found a 6 iron for cheap in the CB I think it will be a good determination for me whether or not I want to go combo, CB, or DPC.

Do you think you will try to find a DPC to compare?

JM

Jimmy I've got DPCs for you to hit when we get together sometime in April. You can put them head to head

Do you think you will try to find a DPC to compare?

JM

For sure. I'll be taking advantage of the test drive program once the weather breaks.

Jimmy I've got DPCs for you to hit when we get together sometime in April. You can put them head to head

Awesome!! Maybe I won't have to use the test drive program for irons then, that would be awesome Brad.

Awesome!! Maybe I won't have to use the test drive program for irons then, that would be awesome Brad.

PXi 6.0's in them, they should be stout enough for you

Another question I have I guess based on this irons, I just noticed the shaft is a Project X 6.0 but it also says flighted. What's the difference? I tried looking on Project X's website with no luck. Any characteristics I should look for that would be apparent in the flighted version vs the non?

PXi 6.0's in them, they should be stout enough for you

I actually will probably prefer them. I like a tad lighter iron shaft.

I actually will probably prefer them. I like a tad lighter iron shaft.

That's exactly why I chose them. Launched a bit higher than the flighted as well. Lighter and higher launch are right up my alley.

Another question I have I guess based on this irons, I just noticed the shaft is a Project X 6.0 but it also says flighted. What's the difference? I tried looking on Project X's website with no luck. Any characteristics I should look for that would be apparent in the flighted version vs the non?

I believe that a flighted shaft has the "steps" in them and a non flighted does not have the steps. Much like a graphite shaft has no steps.

I cannot comment to performance comparisons though.

JM

I believe that a flighted shaft has the "steps" in them and a non flighted does not have the steps. Much like a graphite shaft has no steps.

I cannot comment to performance comparisons though.

JM

I believe the flighted are designed to launch a bit higher than the originals.

Thanks Brad and Johnny. I can't wait to swing it and compare it to my ACP.

Flighted shafts have different launch characteristics throughout the set. Basically help long irons launch higher and keep short irons lower

Flighted shafts have different launch characteristics throughout the set. Basically help long irons launch higher and keep short irons lower

Thanks Kang. I'm completely lost when it comes to shafts and characteristics. Definitely something I need to up my knowledge on. I'm really excited to put this thing through it's paces.

Back