Callaway Big Bertha Driver Review

You are my hero. Thanks bud!

No problem, I tried to figure all of this out with the optiforce and when I found the site with those instructions I made sure to bookmark them, they've proved useful!

Indeed it does. Good to know that the S stands for "stated loft"

I finally met Bertha tonight at Golfsmith. Mike, my guy there, saw me coming from clear across the store and smiled as he handed me the 13.5°head with the stiff shaft. I warmed up a bit and started in with Bertha. First thoughts were "wow, this thing is forgiving and sounds like a hand gun. " I was seeing between 9°- 13° of loft (fun fact, on average I have 5-7° of negative attack angle on the ball...) and 2900 - 3800 of spin. The bright spot was that no matter the angle, or where on the face I hit the ball, they all ended up within a 15yd circle, it was unreal. I liked the sound as it wasn't as "tinny" as the SLDR, just a nice solid shot sound. I tried the Alpha set +2° and while my spin numbers went down, the dispersion was much worse! I'll take the fairway all day with Bertha thank you. Can't wait to go back soon and play around some more with it.

typo's courtesy of Samsung Galaxy S4 autocorrect... Enjoy!

I went to GolfTown today to hit the BB and to my dismay they had 1 BB with a regular flex shaft in it beside about 25 BB Alphas.

I finally met Bertha tonight at Golfsmith. Mike, my guy there, saw me coming from clear across the store and smiled as he handed me the 13.5°head with the stiff shaft. I warmed up a bit and started in with Bertha. First thoughts were "wow, this thing is forgiving and sounds like a hand gun. " I was seeing between 9°- 13° of loft (fun fact, on average I have 5-7° of negative attack angle on the ball...) and 2900 - 3800 of spin. The bright spot was that no matter the angle, or where on the face I hit the ball, they all ended up within a 15yd circle, it was unreal. I liked the sound as it wasn't as "tinny" as the SLDR, just a nice solid shot sound. I tried the Alpha set +2° and while my spin numbers went down, the dispersion was much worse! I'll take the fairway all day with Bertha thank you. Can't wait to go back soon and play around some more with it.

So awesome to hear you made the right choice!

I went to GolfTown today to hit the BB and to my dismay they had 1 BB with a regular flex shaft in it beside about 25 BB Alphas.

You could take an alpha shaft and throw it in the standard Bertha

So awesome to hear you made the right choice!

Thank for the help

Awesome stuff TUT

You could take an alpha shaft and throw it in the standard Bertha

That kind of behaviour is frowned upon by the associates at that store. They cringe if you even ask to try a club at a different setting haha.

Thank for the help

TUT -- Are you going with the 13.5 degree for the King?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TUT -- Are you going with the 13.5 degree for the King?

Yes

Callaway Big Bertha Driver Review

Yes

Good for you! I'm really pumped to get my hands Bertha ?

Good for you! I'm really pumped to get my hands Bertha ?

She is all they say she is... i might end up at 14.5° or more when all is said and done. I can't wait to have my own in hand to work with and see what works best

Alright, I need a bit more education on this head. If I understand correctly, the head is high launch. What are the spin characteristics of it though? Is it a high spin head as well? I am more than likely going to go with an aftermarket shaft, so I am just trying to get as much info on the head as possible to help me make a more informed decision.

Alright, I need a bit more education on this head. If I understand correctly, the head is high launch. What are the spin characteristics of it though? Is it a high spin head as well? I am more than likely going to go with an aftermarket shaft, so I am just trying to get as much info on the head as possible to help me make a more informed decision.

It's more a mid/mid head for me FWIW. Not a high spin head IMO, def not low though.

It's more a mid/mid head for me FWIW. Not a high spin head IMO, def not low though.

Thanks buddy, I will consider head loft and shaft spin accordingly. BTW what are the characteristics of the red tie you use, as far as spin and launch are concerned?

It's a mid/mid shaft

So I got to hit this thing today, shwing! This thing is sweet, even though my swing was absolutely dreadful. On my good shots I was getting 3000-3200 backspin, ~12* launch, ~100 swing speed, high 140s ball speed, mid 270s distance. This was with bad swings where I was falling into my old habits of the first half of last year. Once I get my swing going, boy am I excite!

I also hit the Alpha, holy balls I want that thing when my swing gets better. Over 300 EASY. That thing is ridiculous. When I sprayed it though, yikes! My rusty swing was a tad dangerous.

The feel of both of these was incredible, and the sound as well. O actually think the regular Bertha was better on the ears, but both great.

So I just noticed on the Callaway website that they are no longer offering the Fubuki ZT as a free upgrade for this. Not sure that it really is of any concern to anybody but thought I would throw this out just as an FYI.

Got to Demo this today at Golfsmith. Aaron/Erin? Of Callaway was the rep there and he was AWESOME, PHENOMENAL KNOWLEDGEABLE etc. He set me up in the Bertha 9.0 adjusted to 10 N with the weight neutral as well in the Stiff Fubuki shaft.

started hitting and my carry distance was 210-220 and I was hooking some of my shots. It was a little frustrating, he stopped me and gave me some tips and long story short got my carry distance up to 240-250 and some nice tight draws, dispersion overall wasn't as tight as the bio cell when I tried that but boy did I love this club and the helpfulness of the rep definitely helped make this even more informative and enjoyable.

Also got a sleeve of the SR2s! I tweeted at Callaway and Harry to let them know how great an experience this was.

Last edited:
I just got home from trying the Bertha family at Golfsmith as well. My swing is a bit of a mess right now (thank goodness lessons start in 11 days), but really liked both heads. Spent a bit more time with the regular Bertha head and it is everything everyone says it is. One thing I did find interesting is that for me, the Fubuki Z felt stout particularly compared to other stock shafts. I got pedestrian numbers with the stiff version, and the regular felt much better and would definitely be my preference between the two.

Hit it at a demo day today in 20 degree temps. Luckily they had a trackman set up and this baby is hot. Very forgiving and it was great to see a few 1.49 smashes!

Glad people are starting to get to hit these and seeing what I expected most to see. Its a beast.

I went to the demo fitting day at golfsmith. Confirmed for me what I knew. 11° on the hosel, matrix red tie 8q3, sliding weight #2 fade, great launch great spin!

I went to the demo fitting day at golfsmith. Confirmed for me what I knew. 11° on the hosel, matrix red tie 8q3, sliding weight #2 fade, great launch great spin!
Matrix 8q3.....? Is that an 80 gram shaft in a driver? #beastmode

Back