Cleveland Smart-Square Putter Review

I have to say I had some high hopes for this putter. I really thought this was going to be the putter I was going to buy and really work on with my putting but it just didn't feel very good when I worked with it yesterday. I will agree with Jman, the squares are so much better than circles, but I absolutely hate the way the ball felt coming off the face. When it comes to putting I am a 100% feel person and I tried and tried to get used to this putter but just couldn't. I probably hit about 100 balls with it alone because I wanted I love the concept of the squares and how well they work for alignment but I couldn't over come the feel of it. Really wish I could have!!
What about the feel didn't work for you? What putters have you liked prior? Do you prefer inserts or non-insert putters?

What about the feel didn't work for you? What putters have you liked prior? Do you prefer inserts or non-insert putters?

The best way I can describe it is when I hit the ball (ProV) it felt like a rock was coming off the club face. I'm not expecting it to feel like jelly but with such a hard feel coming off the face I had a really hard time controlling the speed. Am I making any sense? Putters in the past year......huh lots because I've been struggling so bad with my putting. That's partly why I had such high hopes, this year I was going to get a putter work with it and not change it all year. I wanted to see if I could fix myself! But in the last year I've used TM Ghost with pureroll, Scotty, SeeMore with inserts on and on. For me, I don't if it has an insert or not, I just go by feel and I'm really having a hard time finding a putter that fits it.

The best way I can describe it is when I hit the ball (ProV) it felt like a rock was coming off the club face. I'm not expecting it to feel like jelly but with such a hard feel coming off the face I had a really hard time controlling the speed. Am I making any sense? Putters in the past year......huh lots because I've been struggling so bad with my putting. That's partly why I had such high hopes, this year I was going to get a putter work with it and not change it all year. I wanted to see if I could fix myself! But in the last year I've used TM Ghost with pureroll, Scotty, SeeMore with inserts on and on. For me, I don't if it has an insert or not, I just go by feel and I'm really having a hard time finding a putter that fits it.
That makes complete sense. I found the insert of this to be more firm than I was expecting--but I actually prefer that.

Too bad it isn't working out for you.

That makes complete sense. I found the insert of this to be more firm than I was expecting--but I actually prefer that.

Too bad it isn't working out for you.

I'm like you are, I like that boys a little firmer, gives me a nice little click at impact that I always gravitate towards, insert performance with a non marshmallow feel.

I fiiiiiinally got mine extended to 36 last night and have added the 40 to the head and she is a beast. I honestly can't wait to have it back in my rotation.

I'm like you are, I like that boys a little firmer, gives me a nice little click at impact that I always gravitate towards, insert performance with a non marshmallow feel.

I fiiiiiinally got mine extended to 36 last night and have added the 40 to the head and she is a beast. I honestly can't wait to have it back in my rotation.

I really wish I got the same results as you guys did. I love the concept of the putter and it truly love the look of it. The squares seemed to help with my setup and alignment greatly, just wish I could get the feel down.

I really wish I got the same results as you guys did. I love the concept of the putter and it truly love the look of it. The squares seemed to help with my setup and alignment greatly, just wish I could get the feel down.

Dude, everyone's different, that's the bliss of it all, some things just don't jive well with all of us. Nothing wrong with that, I would like to see a version of the SS in the "Classic" face milled line next year myself, I would own one in a second.,

Dude, everyone's different, that's the bliss of it all, some things just don't jive well with all of us. Nothing wrong with that, I would like to see a version of the SS in the "Classic" face milled line next year myself, I would own one in a second.,

I have to agree with you, I think a milled face would make the biggest difference in the world! Now I'm back to square, no pun intended, one with finding myself a putter.

I have to agree with you, I think a milled face would make the biggest difference in the world! Now I'm back to square, no pun intended, one with finding myself a putter.

The good news is there are SOOOOO many solid options out there, I hope you find something that fits all of your wants and needs!

The good news is there are SOOOOO many solid options out there, I hope you find something that fits all of your wants and needs!

Thank you. I've been pretty busy doing a lot of reading on THP trying to find the next best option.

Putting this in play tomorrow, and have a new found focus for my game on the green. Relying on this one to get my putting back on track, and meet some goals I have set for my game recently.

Well after a good effort with the 39" CB version, I am ready to try this in the regular size. The alignment is solid as almost everyone here has said, but the more upright longer shaft is just not right for me in this model. Hopefully I can get a trade on the regular size and review my results here.

I would really love to see a face milled version of this (hopefully stamped with a cleveland logo) but I might still get a cs version when Uncle Sam sends me my money.

Putting this in play tomorrow, and have a new found focus for my game on the green. Relying on this one to get my putting back on track, and meet some goals I have set for my game recently.

Good luck today bud. Dual axis alignment for the win!!

I am itching to get the Smart Square on the course...and sick of putting inside! Damn winter.

Yup I hear that. Planning another trip to golfsmith soon to play around with it.

So I finally got to mess around with this putter yesterday and I am still not sure about it. The store I was at only had a CB version and it just was not working at all. I will have to find a normal version and give that a roll though first before I come to some sort of conclusion.

So I finally got to mess around with this putter yesterday and I am still not sure about it. The store I was at only had a CB version and it just was not working at all. I will have to find a normal version and give that a roll though first before I come to some sort of conclusion.
I'm not a fan of the CB version myself. First, the one they have in my local store is 3 inches longer than it needs to be for me. And second, I just haven't jumped on the whole CB bandwagon yet.

I love the regular normal heel-shafted version.

I'm not a fan of the CB version myself. First, the one they have in my local store is 3 inches longer than it needs to be for me. And second, I just haven't jumped on the whole CB bandwagon yet.

I love the regular normal heel-shafted version.

Yeah I like to backweight my putters, which I guess is essentially the same thing, but I just don't like the longer shaft and gripping down.

I will have to try the normal version, I am sure it is much better.

Yeah I like to backweight my putters, which I guess is essentially the same thing, but I just don't like the longer shaft and gripping down.

I will have to try the normal version, I am sure it is much better.

For me 34" CS version was money. Have you tried the CS version?

No, I have not. The only version I have seen around here is the CB heel shafted one. I am not a center shafted guy though. I will still give it a roll if I see it though.

I got to roll the Never Compromise Sub 30 mallet that is a similar shape in CS--definitely want to give it a roll in CS.

Pretty awesome to see all the great reviews of this club.

Back