Lynchburg14

Reaction score
Handicap
Today was a total mess. I had the yips with every club in the bag. I could not stop topping the ball and even had some balls bounce backwards. If I did hit the ball it was a huge slice and made contact on the lower inner part of the club. The sad thing is I have been hitting balls of the mat all week making solid contact and then do this. It was so bad that it was comical today, I looked like I had never played golf before.

Anyone else ever just had a round where you could not hit anything right?

Yes, and unfortunately it was in front of a bunch of THPers. It happens, some days you just don't have it.

All to often sadly. But that is what we sign up for, the good and the bads.

Yep and I had them in the yard today while I was chipping. I hate the freaking yips ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the plus side I still had a fun day and I putted well. It just took me a thousand shots to get there.

Today was a total mess. I had the yips with every club in the bag. I could not stop topping the ball and even had some balls bounce backwards. If I did hit the ball it was a huge slice and made contact on the lower inner part of the club. The sad thing is I have been hitting balls of the mat all week making solid contact and then do this. It was so bad that it was comical today, I looked like I had never played golf before.

Anyone else ever just had a round where you could not hit anything right?

it was probably your shoes. I'm guessing they were new and an inch or so taller than your last pair. This is why you topped the ball all day. At least that's what I would tell myself :)

it was probably your shoes. I'm guessing they were new and an inch or so taller than your last pair. This is why you topped the ball all day. At least that's what I would tell myself :)

You know I thought that might have been the problem.:laughing:

I was like that today. Was walking on my own between a slow group of three and a group of five that kept wanting to play through, until I asked them exactly where they wanted to play thru to. Only played well on the two par 3s (bogey and a par) the rest was slice city. Lost 6 balls too on 9 holes. Heh.

I had a round like that last year. It was brutal! Ended up swinging straight armed the last half of the round just to make contact and hit it straight.
Next round I was fine. Golf is such a head game.

Had a round like that a couple of years ago. Paid for 18 and only played 9 holes. Had absolutely no idea where the ball was going and knew that before I got frustrated - it was better I left. I was by myself so I didn't feel bad leaving.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I had mine in the middle of my round. I was playing just fine until I got to the turn. For the rest of the day you would have thought I had ever held a club. The very next day I played and had no issues at all.

Had a round like that a couple of years ago. Paid for 18 and only played 9 holes. Had absolutely no idea where the ball was going and knew that before I got frustrated - it was better I left. I was by myself so I didn't feel bad leaving.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I think it may be better to do like you did and not ingrain the bad stuff. When you are with others or in a tournament you have to gut it out. ?

I think it may be better to do like you did and not ingrain the bad stuff. When you are with others or in a tournament you have to gut it out. ?

I honestly think it was. If I had been with others, I would have stuck it out so I was glad no one else was able to see if it. I stepped away from the clubs for a couple of days, went to the range and it was like it never happened.

I went through this awesome period a couple years ago where I created a hitch in my swing and basically got to the point that I was ready to hang up the clubs forever. I was dead set on coming from the inside and the only way I could figure it out was some sort of giant turn, hitch, and then some unexplainable move to the ball. It was sort of like taking Kenny Perry and Charles Barkley and making a really bad golfing love child. It took months and a bunch of lessons to get rid of it. In the process of working it out of my conscious I really just hated golf.

Had this happen at my lesson on Saturday! Was sh***ing wedges everywhere, it was awful. But luckily it was instructive, because the reason I was sh***ing is the same reason that I hit the ball too high with my short clubs - coming out of the swing early. Now I'm working on keeping down through impact, and have a couple drills for my next range session to address it.

I went through this awesome period a couple years ago where I created a hitch in my swing and basically got to the point that I was ready to hang up the clubs forever. I was dead set on coming from the inside and the only way I could figure it out was some sort of giant turn, hitch, and then some unexplainable move to the ball. It was sort of like taking Kenny Perry and Charles Barkley and making a really bad golfing love child. It took months and a bunch of lessons to get rid of it. In the process of working it out of my conscious I really just hated golf.

That's funny about the love child?. Lmao!!!

What's not funny is the yips and how they can put fear in your golf game /mind and take the fun out of playing?. It's like you have cerebral palsy and your rhythm goes completely out the window. The harder you try to fix it, the worse it becomes so taking time off is often the best solution.

always an interesting topic. I am not at the level of the OP or as amany of you and currently am a bit lost with my current lessons. but generally sapeaking it happens to us all at any level. Even when things are gloing ok (relatively speaking) you just cant do any of it at all that day. Leaves you dimbfounded like "what the heck?" "Are you kidding me?" "what am i doing". I know the feeling all too well.

A bit off topic but very funny and related except for another sport/game.
I use to bowl in a league for several years and there was this one evening that I could not remember whcih foot goes first. I total brain fart. Something i never thought about. The strangest expereince I ever had. Everyone was hysterical I looked rediculous. In between frames i was walking on the side and trying to determin which foot goes first. Somehting so second natured had just totaly left me. There were others who said (in between the laughing) it had happened to them in the past. All i know is that it was embarressing and yet funny as heck. Although we all had laughs it did not make for good scores for my team that night. It was quite a freaky thing. A seasoned bowler for years and yet it looked like it was my first time I ever picked up a bowling ball. LOL

So I went through a lot of dry swings today and my co-worker who knows my swing instanly said oh it is an easy fix you are coming up early. He showed me what I was doing and I could feel it but I have not been able to fix it yet. I told him that I was becoming the next Charles Barkley lol.

He notice that when I turn I was lifting my shoulders up and changing the plan of my swing. It made since on why I was topping everything but I can't seem to get it straight.

So I went through a lot of dry swings today and my co-worker who knows my swing instanly said oh it is an easy fix you are coming up early. He showed me what I was doing and I could feel it but I have not been able to fix it yet. I told him that I was becoming the next Charles Barkley lol.

He notice that when I turn I was lifting my shoulders up and changing the plan of my swing. It made since on why I was topping everything but I can't seem to get it straight.

I hope your buddy is correct and its that easy. Problem imo only is that unless he is trained and experienced in judging you he can only sumize what appears to be different about you. And even if it is correct there may be something else that is the cause and not just simply a "well, just stop doing that" type of thing. Just perhpas thats why you cant stop it.

IDK and am certainly in no position to say for certain but I can suggest it may be something in the postition of anything anywhere at all while at adress causing it that is not easily seen by just anyone. I or many of us can easily tell someone we are familiar with that they are lifting up and notice it hasnt been normal to the persons swing ever before. But what many of us cant say is that it is just that simple or what may be causing it. Perhps try not thinking about anything at all one bit. Sing a song in your head or something before you even set up and adress the ball and just maybe with a completely clear head what you been doing for so long will reappear. Who knows it may work but I do wish you luck getting it back.

After lots of swings the past few days I think I got it fixed. I have been working on staying down and getting my hips turned. I hit several foam balls today and they all felt good and had nice power behind them. So I took one ball outside at lunch and found the only green spot in the field and hit it. It was the best feeling I have ever felt when hitting an iron. The ball went straighter then any I have ever hit and I had the nice crisp sound when I hit it. Even had the divot fly after the ball. It was by far the best 7i I have ever hit. Now I hope I can keep this swing.

I hadthe full swing yips for 2 years....Sometimes they still creep in. I was like Charles Barkley out there. I've got it on video to prove it and it's ugly.

I hadthe full swing yips for 2 years....Sometimes they still creep in. I was like Charles Barkley out there. I've got it on video to prove it and it's ugly.

Prove it!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Prove it!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I've actually been trying for an hour to figure out how to get it off the video camera....may have to have my brother work with it. As I've said previously, my technology skills are lacking.....

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

When i get them its almost always after hitting off of mats, They should outlaw those things.
I have a tendency to hit behind the ball and skip in to it off the mat and drill it giving me the false impression of good contact.
What works for me is i will bend over until my back cracks, once it does the odds are you will stop topping the ball, Try it, a good tip a pro taught me.

Back