Membership/Daily Fee/Both?

Membership/Daily Fee/Both?

• Membership (I play the same course a lot)

Votes: 22 24.4%
  • Daily Fee (I pay to play wherever I end up)

Votes: 45 50.0%
  • Both (I have a membership, but play elsewhere often)

Votes: 23 25.6%

• Total voters
I played Windermere Golf Club when I was there in May. Way back in the neighborhood, but it was fast, fun and well worth the $22 I paid to play it! :)

I wanted to join a club near me but honestly it's cheaper for me to just go on golf now to play the same course. Also I play with a group of guys on Mondays and we all have ExecGolf cards and play a different course every week for $25 and when the snow birds leave here we get group golfer deals for a lot of courses for less than $20.

I have yet to find a membership that;s worth it unless I play 3-4 times, which I don't have time for. That and they charge extra for a cart which is silly.

I played Windermere Golf Club when I was there in May. Way back in the neighborhood, but it was fast, fun and well worth the $22 I paid to play it! :)

Thats my point I was thinking of joining there but for a weekday membership it's $269 a month plus cart fees and $60 restaurant money it's just not worth it, I could of got it on golf now hot deal for tomorrow for $29.

Thats my point I was thinking of joining there but for a weekday membership it's $269 a month plus cart fees and $60 restaurant money it's just not worth it, I could of got it on golf now hot deal for tomorrow for $29.

Yeah, better to catch it on golfnow.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

I'm currently a member at one of our local state park courses which allows me play at any other state park in KY at no extra charge. That's a plus. I really enjoy my home course as it's affordable and kept in great shape year round. We also will break up the monotony and play a different course every couple of weeks or take a weekend stay and play.

I play 90% of my rounds here on the AFB where I am a member. It's a nice course and cheap ($360) and they have a special with range balls, pay $50 for $75 worth of tokens. Pretty sweet deal I say. Never too crowded and always a good time with friends. They even let "single airman" play for free on Saturdays including a cart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a family membership that gives me unlimited golf, cart, & range privileges, plus fitness center & pool. It also gives me the same perks at a sister club 15-20 miles away. On top of that, there are 4 more courses within 120 miles that I can play for a $15 cart fee. Numerous other course spread throughout the midwest & SE for the same $15 fee. According the brochure, I have access to 549 holes with this membership. So far I have only played the two local courses, but I intend to get out to as many of them as I can this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am just a typical weekend warrior and I pay per play. I play at a really nice course all winter and spring and then I deal hunt and travel around in the summertime.
There is a course not far from home where I spend my summer week nights and shoot a quick 9 whenever I have time. It has a simple but tough layout and keeps my short game in shape.

I'd love to get a membership at some point, but I'm not sure there's any one course here I'd want a membership at that would be worth it with the season length. For now I just pay each time out and it works out OK for me.

Pay to play for me, most of the courses around here have a break even point of 40 something rounds and given our short season that is most of your rounds at one course. I prefer to have a little variety because there are plenty of good courses in the area.

I have a membership, but I can say that I wouldn't have that if I didn't really like the course. I play most of my golf there because it's close to home, it's already paid for, and I can play 18, 9, or even 3 depending on what I have time for and not worry about getting my money's worth. The practice area is fantastic and of course practice is included so I am not adding expense to hit the range often. It's also a great course IMO. Not too difficult and not too easy, with a nice variety of holes and some great scenery and wildlife (mostly geese, ducks, and herons). I also enjoy getting out to play other courses. Variety is the spice of life, after all

In the past I would buy someone's playing privilege's for a season at a privet course. I enjoyed that because they are great courses at a great price and you can choose what course to play each year. The down side was playing the same course every time got tiring. I`m no a bit of a golfing nomad and try to play a variety of courses each year. For me I want more that 18 or 36 holes to play but at the same time I want to have the practice area at my disposal.

Not quite a straight forward answer from me.....

I have just joined a club not too far from me, but it works slightly differently to most memberships where you pay your annual fee and play as much as you want

This club has a one-off lifetime membership joining fee (which was even lower in December so a couple of us took advantage of the offer) but you then pay reduced rate green fees when you play, so for those who don't get the chance to play 2 or 3 times a week during the year, you aren't worried about getting your moneys worth. You also collect points every time you play and after collecting a certain amount of points you get a free round

It has 2 loops of 18 holes, a loop of currently 13 holes and also has a range (both mats and grass areas) with a short game practice area and a couple of putting greens - you pay for these facilities as well, but it only costs £3 for a basket of 75 balls so not exactly expensive

This means we can play our 'home' club for handicap purposes and competitions, but we still have the freedom to play other courses when we fancy a change so I feel we get benefits of a membership without feeling like we are tied to a single club

I haven't worked it out, but I suspect that even if I was to play every week during our season it would still work out cheaper than paying for a yearly membership at a lot of clubs in the immediate area

This will be my first year belonging to a private club. It is only 15 minutes away, so I hope to be able to get down there at least 3-4 times a week. The course has some of the nicest greens I have played to date to far. Can't wait for all this snow to melt.

I am getting to the point where I would like to have a membership to play at one course a majority of the time, but of the courses around me - only one offers memberships. For me personally that course isn't worth the value of a membership and I am waiting for another course near me (changed ownership last year) to begin offering memberships.

On the flip side, I have 7-8 courses within a 8 mile drive that at peak times on the weekend are $30-40 a round - so not having a membership isn't a bad thing. One of my favorites to play is $20 to walk after noon. I like the idea that I can play different courses at anytime so any membership for me will have to give me flexibility.

I'm a daily fee guy mainly because I am in two leagues at two different courses during the week. I just can't justify the cost of a membership when I'm already committed twice a week to other places.

I've definitely considered it though.

I looked at a lot of clubs before making a decision and there were little things at some clubs that turned me off to them altogether. Some clubs charged per round on top of dues. Some clubs gave senior members priority of tee times, even though they were fine charging a hefty initiation fee. One club had a ridiculous non beverage minimum of $35 a month. At any rate, I realized very early on that a CC membership will not save you money on golf. So it's necessary to be comfortable with what you are spending and like the course a lot. Quite honestly, a CC membership is probably the only way I can keep golfing. My schedule is a little sporadic, so I like that I can show up whenever I can and play as little or as long as I can, without dealing with crowds or waiting for a tee time. That is the main benefit for me. But you will not save money on golf by joining a club, although the benefits outweigh the cost, at least to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Joined a private membership club which allows me to play quite a few "sister courses" in the area. Since a travel quite a bit, the club offers other courses, hotels and restaurants I can use. It also comes with several local dinner clubs which the wife and I take advantage of as well. She doesn't golf, but can still get in on some of the perks. So far its worked out pretty good.

In the past, I've paid for a yearly membership as I was golfing a ton, so it made good sense. I still played a little at other courses, usually once a month with friends. Now I work at a course, so play there almost daily, but will venture elsewhere once in a while.

FWIW, a lot of the private clubs that are part of larger corporations or partnerships will allow you access to play their partner/sister courses for a discounted rate. For instance, ClubCorp's ONE lets me play about a dozen courses here in DFW and a whole lot more all over the US for just the $17 cart fee. On top of that there are the partner courses that we get discounted green fees and the high-end private courses (TPC Las Colinas, Gleneagles, etc) that we get access to but pay a relatively high price. I know of at least one other around here (Dominion group or some such) that does the same thing and I know there are more like it elsewhere. So joining somewhere doesn't necessarily mean you have to play there all the time to get your money's worth

I'm in the middle. I am going to sign up for a range plan that lets me practice whenever I want and I get green fees 50% off the regular rate.

I would love to be a member somewhere, but the budget & kids don't make it a cost effective investment.
Mike where you thinking of joining?

Meadowbrook Farms here in Katy.
If it wasn't for the fact that it takes me 30 mins and tolls to get out there that is not that bad of a deal to be able to use range and 50% is great. I like that course. Wildcat for $60/month has unlimited range and 50% "Super Twilight", I wish they would do 50% all day, I may do their range plan during the summer.

If it wasn't for the fact that it takes me 30 mins and tolls to get out there that is not that bad of a deal to be able to use range and 50% is great. I like that course. Wildcat for $60/month has unlimited range and 50% "Super Twilight", I wish they would do 50% all day, I may do their range plan during the summer.

The fact that it is literally 5 min from my house is why I'm doing it. I have to pass by it everyday on the way home so no excuse to stop and hit a few or at least putt a little.

I've been thinking of doing one of two options. There is a club about 15 to 20 minutes away that used to be a higher end private club. They shuttered at the end of 2012, and a new management company came in and took over. They have a family membership for $60 a month for unlimited golf and access to the pool. I don't swim, but the wife does and wants to teach the kids. The boy and I can go play as little or as much golf as we want. Range balls are extra, $3 a bucket, I think. Cart is extra, but I will walk most of mine.

The other option I have is $35 a month, which gets into The Club. Then, you pay $20 a round, which includes cart, at like 6 courses in the city. The average fee I think is around $50 during the week at one of these courses, so $20 isn't bad. And it allows a little more change of pace, but would still end up costing me more. At $60 a month, I could still afford to play a round or two a month somewhere else.

Back