Swing speed down after hurting back

michaelb

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys,

Played my 2nd round today of 2014 after hurting my back January 1st. I played fairly awful.

The weird thing is that my swing speed for my driver was about the same as I was hitting it about as far as normally do, maybe a tad bit shorter.

But, overall, my swing with my irons was dramatically slower. I normally hit my 8 iron 145-ish. Today I was hitting it 130/135.

I wasn't in any pain, I just seemed to be hitting with a lot less juice than normal. I stopped by my local Roger Dunn after. My iron swing speed used to be low to mid 80's, and the monitor was spitting out 68 to 72. That's crazy. :banghead:

Has anyone had this happen to them? Or something similar? I might just need to get back in the gym double time as 7 weeks of no working out probably isn't helping either.

What's really annoying is I was contemplating making the switch from graphite to steel shafts, but with my game a hot mess, that might be the best idea right now.

Thanks all!

-Michael

I have had several injuries. Frozen shoulder in both shoulders, herniated disks, and more. After each recovery my distance suffers for a few months. A lot depends on your conditioning and age.

I found a golf physical therapist who works on PGA players and she gave me balance and flexibility exercises that help, a lot. Once you have back issues, constant attention must be spent on maintaining strength, balance and flexibility.

Hey guys,

Played my 2nd round today of 2014 after hurting my back January 1st. I played fairly awful.

The weird thing is that my swing speed for my driver was about the same as I was hitting it about as far as normally do, maybe a tad bit shorter.

But, overall, my swing with my irons was dramatically slower. I normally hit my 8 iron 145-ish. Today I was hitting it 130/135.

I wasn't in any pain, I just seemed to be hitting with a lot less juice than normal. I stopped by my local Roger Dunn after. My iron swing speed used to be low to mid 80's, and the monitor was spitting out 68 to 72. That's crazy. :banghead:

Has anyone had this happen to them? Or something similar? I might just need to get back in the gym double time as 7 weeks of no working out probably isn't helping either.

What's really annoying is I was contemplating making the switch from graphite to steel shafts, but with my game a hot mess, that might be the best idea right now.

Thanks all!

-Michael

Sounds very familiar to me. I went from hitting 9 iron from 150 to barely making it there with a 7 iron after some back issues. I think it's more the restriction in movement for me more than a lack of strength. I'm going to work on some core exercises to try to get stronger and more flexible. I can live with losing a few yards, but 25 yards with the irons is a little beyond what I can accept.

I have had several injuries. Frozen shoulder in both shoulders, herniated disks, and more. After each recovery my distance suffers for a few months. A lot depends on your conditioning and age.

I found a golf physical therapist who works on PGA players and she gave me balance and flexibility exercises that help, a lot. Once you have back issues, constant attention must be spent on maintaining strength, balance and flexibility.

Thanks. Appreciate the response. I'm not sure I am going to find a physical therapist (as I'm not in pain anymore), but will definitely google/look into flexibility and strength exercises to help get my back into shape again.

Sounds very familiar to me. I went from hitting 9 iron from 150 to barely making it there with a 7 iron after some back issues. I think it's more the restriction in movement for me more than a lack of strength. I'm going to work on some core exercises to try to get stronger and more flexible. I can live with losing a few yards, but 25 yards with the irons is a little beyond what I can accept.

Yep. Not only that, but making the club adjustment really messes with your mental game too!

I wouldn't make any club decisions right now until you know what's going on. For me, a back injury led to me swinging the club with just my arms, hands and an aggressive leg drive. This would work okay some days, but if my legs or left shoulder got tired (fatigued in the case of my shoulder), I couldn't hit a 5 iron 150 yards (normally a 8 or 9 iron) and even if I did it was a huge slice. I would check your range of shoulder rotation and make sure you are pain free throughout the swing. If there is any residual pain, you may be trying to protect your back by decelerating something and trying to guide the club into the ball. Maybe even without knowing it. Sorry to hear about your injury. Been there for what seems like forever.

Last edited:
It took me a while to get my speed back after hurting my back a couple times. I think it was a subliminal thing, where I was really scared to let it fly. I wouldn't make any equipment decisions, as I got fit for some clubs before I was fully back and was put into lightweight shafts, which have not agreed with me since getting back (actually ahead of) where I was.

When you go through a back injury (I'm recovering from back surgery) some of your muscles become inhibited and do not work properly. I'm in physical therapy right now and the first exercises they have me doing involve core muscle activation, glute exercises and hamstring stretches. I suspect that you have some of the same issues with your muscles and just need to work on them.

Here's a good article that will explain these muscles and what happens when you have a back injury.

http://www.peaksportsandspinept.com/articles/coremuscleactivation.cfm

Michaelb: You have my sympathies!! Been there, done that! It might help if you and other posters on this topic gave their age.

I started playing at 55, and am now 75. Sustained a number of back and shoulder problems requiring layoffs, (a couple over several years) and as I got older, each recovery took longer, with an initial substantial drop, gradual recovery, and over time, an overall gradual decline in SS.

If you are over fifty, I would think long and hard before switching to steel shafts, as generally, they are considered to be harder on the body, and, while usually slightly more accurate, play shorter at lower swing speeds.

If you are in your early forties or younger, perhaps, patience, exercise and practice will prevail. The body does have a strong tendency to protect its' self; it just may take a little more time.

The best to you in your efforts.

I'm 40, but had an incident that destroyed my entire back and neck.

I'll be 50 in June. I hurt my mid back in my late 20's. It's been mostly just an annoyance, but I am always aware that it is not right and I have definitely developed a swing based on protecting it. But it is not working very well any more.

I'll be 50 in June. I hurt my mid back in my late 20's. It's been mostly just an annoyance, but I am always aware that it is not right and I have definitely developed a swing based on protecting it. But it is not working very well any more.
I know how you feel, I damaged my back in my 20's and have to work around it too.

Try stretching about 15 minutes before you play. Your swing speed decrease is likely a result of decreased flexibility that came from not playing for 6 weeks. It took me a while to get my swing speed back to normal after my multiple injuries.

I went in for a lesson today and after seeing what is going on in video, it all makes sense. With lower back issues, I'm not creating any difference in between my shoulder and hip turn. They are turning together the entire time. That's not a recipe for any sort of power.

I'm hitting the ball straighter than I have in a while, just painfully short. I'm thinking about going to see a physical therapist to work on flexibility and range of motion after seeing my golf swing.

Michaelb: You have my sympathies!! Been there, done that! It might help if you and other posters on this topic gave their age.

I started playing at 55, and am now 75. Sustained a number of back and shoulder problems requiring layoffs, (a couple over several years) and as I got older, each recovery took longer, with an initial substantial drop, gradual recovery, and over time, an overall gradual decline in SS.

If you are over fifty, I would think long and hard before switching to steel shafts, as generally, they are considered to be harder on the body, and, while usually slightly more accurate, play shorter at lower swing speeds.

If you are in your early forties or younger, perhaps, patience, exercise and practice will prevail. The body does have a strong tendency to protect its' self; it just may take a little more time.

The best to you in your efforts.

Thx!! I'm 34. It's definitely something that I can work through and get my swing speed back, will just take a bit of time and some dedication to working out. Also starting some new stretching routines to help get the flexibility back.

Sent from this Tapatalk app thingy

Try stretching about 15 minutes before you play. Your swing speed decrease is likely a result of decreased flexibility that came from not playing for 6 weeks. It took me a while to get my swing speed back to normal after my multiple injuries.

Thx. Curious, how long did it take? A month or two?

The last time it took a full year, but that was because I had fusion. Generally with a strain or pull it would take about 2-3 weeks depending on how bad it was and how aggressive I was with treatment. Key is to take it easy. The back has a mind of its own and will fool you into believing you're fine until you try to push it. Next thig you know, you're alternating heat and ice, laying on the couch and hating life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you get older your flexibility definitely takes a hit. I work out at the gym and that doesn't help me with swing speed. Stretching helps more but us old codgers have to finally except the fact our bodies are slowing down and our golf swing will too. :D

The last time it took a full year, but that was because I had fusion. Generally with a strain or pull it would take about 2-3 weeks depending on how bad it was and how aggressive I was with treatment. Key is to take it easy. The back has a mind of its own and will fool you into believing you're fine until you try to push it. Next thig you know, you're alternating heat and ice, laying on the couch and hating life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely needed to take it easy for a couple weeks. Needed up taking 6. Now getting back in the groove. Have been stretching and rowing every day. We'll see Saturday how much improvement there is.

When you get older your flexibility definitely takes a hit. I work out at the gym and that doesn't help me with swing speed. Stretching helps more but us old codgers have to finally except the fact our bodies are slowing down and our golf swing will too. :D

So true. Finally talked my father into making the switch from stiff to regular shafts in his driver and irons. Has made a huge difference.

One of the things that may help after a back injury is focusing on a one plane swing ala Jim Hardy. It's easy on your body and pretty forgiving of a limited turn.

Swing speed down after hurting back

Played yesterday and got out to the range. Slowly getting my swing back.

Have been doing a bunch of exercises specific to golfers and back issues.

Interestingly enough, I developed a ton of bad swing habits to compensate for the back injury that I now have to work back out of my swing (such as swinging outside in and placing the ball too far forward in my stance).

Last edited:
Played yesterday and got out to the range. Slowly getting my swing back.

Have been doing a bunch of exercises specific to golfers and back issues.

Interestingly enough, I developed a ton of bad swing habits to compensate for the back injury that I know have to work back out of my swing (such as swinging outside in and placing the ball too far forward in my stance).

I could type the same thing and it would be exactly what I'm going through. Well, except I haven't found anything that resembles my swing yet.

What stretches and exercise are you doing? That is where I'm struggling.

Something else to consider is the tempo and length of your swing. Pre-fusion I was very long with my swing with a very fast transition and a big sweeping finish. What I learned is that I put the most stress on my spine during takeaway, transition and follow through. When I started up with lessons again I let my instructor know about my surgery and that my range of motion in my lower back is very limited due to 2 rods and 4 screws holding it together. We started working on a take away that was more hips than shoulders, a backswing that was much shorter (I get to 90, but its a short 90), and a smooth, almost deliberate transition. This created a smoother swing and a 3/4 follow through that puts zero stress on my back. I can actaully go out and play 18 if I have back aches on not worry about it impacting my swing. Now, teeing ip the ball, marking it and getting it out of the hole are a little different.

Someone mentiondd a single plane swing that that's a great idea too. Bottom line is to get to your pro and let him know about your limitations and get a swing that works more efficiently for you. I was a 23 before my surgery and played to a 12.5 my first year back. Last year sucked because of more swing changes and aweful putting.

Tapping away on my Galaxy 2 Note

Back