Trying to Break 80 Club

You gotta stop doing this! It's the kiss of death for me!

I couldn't help myself, always do it after the front nine too, nothing like a bit of added pressure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After a long year of ups and downs I finally got my game going a bit at the end of the season. One of my last rounds I was 6 over going into #17. Unfortunately I fell apart knowing what was at stake and went +3 on the last 2 holes....so mad! It would have been my first time shooting in the 70s on a par72 course. I'm still disappointed but I have a bright outlook for this year, I KNOW IT WILL HAPPEN!

After a long year of ups and downs I finally got my game going a bit at the end of the season. One of my last rounds I was 6 over going into #17. Unfortunately I fell apart knowing what was at stake and went +3 on the last 2 holes....so mad! It would have been my first time shooting in the 70s on a par72 course. I'm still disappointed but I have a bright outlook for this year, I KNOW IT WILL HAPPEN!
Did you learn anything from those last three holes?

My take-aways from my near miss yesterday were to play for the swing/trajectory you actually have not the one you usually have, take your time around the greens and take your medicine.

Knowing how close you are to a certain number can sometimes lead to the dreaded choking word. I've found that it's a little less stressful when you don't add up your score till the end. It'll remove the anxiety of trying to shoot a certain number and allows you to play a little more freely.

The bigger goal in that however, is learning to block out your score if you know it's been pretty error free. The one shot at a time mantra helps, but only if you don't let your mind wander in between shots and think, "gee, I wonder what my score is so far?" If that happens, ABORT STOP DOING THAT.

I need to trust my swing. The 17th is a tough hole and I left my second shot just short of the green in some rough with a tight front pin so I chipped on and 2 putted. I wasn't super mad at that bogey because it's always played tough for me. The 18th I fell apart. I hit my drive sky high(which I never do) and to the right in the rough behind some trees. I felt like my swing was totally different on that shot because I was trying to be way too cautious not wanting to mess up. And then things got bad when I duffed 2 straight punch out from the thick rough....

I had two chances last month to join this club and was pretty happy with my play going 82 82. Only one birdie on each round. Just played solid and kept it in play. My home course us a 130 slope and I went from a 12 to 14.7 by just playing poorly this summer. Trying to get the hdcp back down and keep my game more consistent. Breaking 80 at my home course would be a serous achievement for me. Hoping this is the year.

So close yet so far...

38 on the front but then I folded on the back like the Cubs trying to hold onto a division lead in June with a 45.
Oh well, 83 is my second best round ever and I learned a lot from that back 9. There were a whole lot of positives today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need to start following this thread. I remember 10 years or so ago when I was having trouble breaking 90. It was so bad, I had to laugh. I can't even remember how many times I shot 41 - 50 collapsing on the back until I shot an 85 to break 90 for the first time on a course with a 143/73.2 slope/rating. It got so bad, I made the guys I was playing with keep score and not tell me where I stood, even at the turn. One time, one of my friends told me there was no way I was going to finish in the 90s, trust him. It turned out I needed a triple bogey 7 for 89. I managed a quad 8 for 90...

In the last year with only 5 or 6 rounds, I shot 81 twice (my personal best). The first time, I didn't know what my score was; only that it was incredibly good for me. I pulled my tee shot on 18 into the water, took a drop, put my third just off the green, chipped up to inside 3 feet and lipped out the putt for an 81.

The mental aspect of this game is what makes it so much fun when you finally get there. This year I intend to break into the seventies. We shall see.

I'm in the other camp, I like to know. I have mentioned before that I break the scorecard up in to 6 sets of 3 and "allow" myself a bogey per 3 holes. Every 3 holes I'm aware of where I stand relative to that goal. In a way, doing it this way decreases the pressure over the total score because any thoughts about score are contained to the 3 hole set you are playing.

I'll try that and see how it goes. I basically took 9 or 10 years off, playing occasionally, and am only started focusing back on the game the last year and a half or so. But, I am shooting better than I ever did before so I am having a lot of fun with it.

I'm on a roll!

My drives aren't as good as I want to yet, but at least they're far and not (very) far offline.

Played 18 today for a round of 75, 37/38. Six bogeys and three birdies!

Great stuff, Floor! Congrats!

Wow nice round Floor!

Thanks, my game is really coming together. :)

I love my bag as it is. Driver is good, 4wood good, hybrid good, irons great, wedges good. Not entirely sure about the putter, I'd like to try something new there. I'm sort of in love with a Kenny Gianinni, the G-4 no-neck center shafted to be more exact.

I've been hitting a 3w stinger off the tees with really good results. It is so much fun to play second shot from the 150 marker +/- 15 yards. I think this shot is going to be a big key to me rejoining the club.

Didn't play as good as I've done recently today. I don't have the scorecard with me but if I recall correctly I've shot 80 today.
Pitches weren't working for me today and I messed up two approaches (flyer/skinner) where I shot over the green and had to shoot another 30-40 yard pitch :X

Last two rounds were 77 and 73. Amazing how much it helps to keep the ball in the fairway off the tee! Eliminate trying to guide the ball and just make a solid swing and a few up and downs does wonders.

Great playing guys. Deep into the 70s.

Another close, but not quite there. 82.
Was feeling like today was the day, till an OB induced triple on 17. Sent one OB on 11 too.
Other than those two treble swings, it was a pretty good day ball striking.

I forgot to update this thread after my last round, but with a fantastic round I broke 80 on Saturday with a 79. We were playing the White Tees which cuts the course difficulty down by a large margin but sub-80 is sub-80 right?
Can't wait to play again!

I forgot to update this thread after my last round, but with a fantastic round I broke 80 on Saturday with a 79. We were playing the White Tees which cuts the course difficulty down by a large margin but sub-80 is sub-80 right?
Can't wait to play again!

79 from the women's tees is still 79!

Fairway's and Green's, and Short game

76 yesterday, after I played an 18 hole match. (Fourball, we won at +1, 46 stableford)

Today I didn't break 80, shot 83 on another course. Tough day, cold putter, fast and hard greens, soft wet fairways. Also: the course I played today is MUCH longer then my homecourse. (The normal men's tees is 850 yards longer then the back tees at my HC. It's 1360 yards longer from the back tees)

Shot a 78 on a 140 slope course today. Had freezing rain falling on the back 9. My first time under 80. Shot 80 a lot of times though.

Back