Big Bertha Alpha Driver Review

Swing was a little off early today as I was struggling with the low tee height in the sim, but man, on the ones where I was able to get the tee to sit up a little I was crushing it.

So I tried to go get fit for the Alpha at Club Champion on Friday and after rescheduling with them they still didn't have the new Bertha clubs in. Never mind that all the golf stores had demos of them that day or a week before in most cases. Anyway that is another story...

I went to the launch event on Saturday at the PGASS in Roswell and spent probably over an hour of the Callaway guy's time hitting the Alpha and Bertha FW. They finally had one with and X-stiff shaft. And that thing bombs. After hitting it some and playing with the setting some, I ended up at 8° and gravity core down. I was launching them around the 12° and 13° range and low spin. Then I let some other people that showed up have a turn while I went out to the car to get my driver to compare. I hit about 6 shots with my driver set at 9.5° and then hit the Alpha. ALL the shot with the Alpha were flying where the shots with my driver ended up. I love the sound and feel. I also really liked the Fubuki ZT. Here is one of my shots from that day (not one of the best either)
ECA8B077-87E7-49B8-A3C9-9BA9D37E63F5_zpsrlgtvtau.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
I don't know what is up with the smash factor as it seems slightly low to me. Anyway

So I actually ordered an Alpha that I hope will get built and sent to me early enough so I can play with it before Hilton Head.

On Sunday I went to the PGASS in Duluth to hit the Alpha again just to get some confirmation of what I was seeing the day before. The Duluth store is generally not as busy and I spent about another hour hitting the Alpha and Bertha FW. This demo was the x-stiff Fubuki ZT and somebody had it set to 11°, core up, and the 3g weight in the heel and the 1g weight in the toe. So 4g lighter than standard. The 11° and core up was almost comical for me. High spinning moon balls. I flipped the core down and cranked it back down to 8° and got this
7608EAE9-62A6-44FA-BE22-193611034DF3_zpskv4bnzzk.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
BOOM. I think I made a good choice, despite the weird smash factor (maybe it was because a couple swings later the ball disintegrated). This thing feels like a cannon. I guess it is named appropriately.

Nice, Will. Those are really solid numbers.

I didn't even think about the total weight added to the club by using the heavier weights. I went 3/7 heel/toe. I may try the 1/5 and see what the result is. Neat!

The more I think about it the more I am sure 10.5° will be mine

Nice, Will. Those are really solid numbers.

I didn't even think about the total weight added to the club by using the heavier weights. I went 3/7 heel/toe. I may try the 1/5 and see what the result is. Neat!

Interesting indeed!

From our central nj thread after our Sim round today
What did I learn today...? That the Alpha is a BEAST! I laid down a 300 yard bomb that I walked away smiling about only to have JLukes step up and top it with 311yd MONSTER right down the pipe. The Alpha is on my short list for sure. Believe the hype.

From our central nj thread after our Sim round today

Alpha is legit. Took Joe a couple holes to get dialed in and some weight changes, but once he got that all squared away he was bombing them right down the middle. I'm not one to buy into hype but the alpha is all that and more.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I think I'm starting to have driver envy...yup, I think that's what it is.

Pondering swapping the 7g and 3g weights with 3g and 1g weights

Pondering swapping the 7g and 3g weights with 3g and 1g weights

I'm going to play around with this as well. Lowering the total weight seems like a good idea.

Such a great looking club.

eduhu8y4.jpg

qevupy8u.jpg

I'm going to play around with this as well. Lowering the total weight seems like a good idea.

I have to ask you and Jlukes. You guys were both fit at one of the best places in the world to get fit for this club. Why alter what they fit you for?

I have to ask you and Jlukes. You guys were both fit at one of the best places in the world to get fit for this club. Why alter what they fit you for?

No crap guys would kill to have someone of that caliber tell them exactly what is the right setup for them.

JB, unfortunately we didn't have time to play with the weights when we were out there. In fact, at the time, I wasn't even aware that it would come with a lighter weight kit.

The focus of the fitting was really launch/spin/carry optimization. Not having touched the weights, I want to see how they change the ball flight.

In the sims I am getting some weird crazy ball flights. I do have mine pretty much exactly the same way I was fit. Just have to put the 1g weight back in the toe. Right now I am making the same swing but trying to keep the giant draw to a minimum.

I need out on a course. Bad.

JB, unfortunately we didn't have time to play with the weights when we were out there. In fact, at the time, I wasn't even aware that it would come with a lighter weight kit.

The focus of the fitting was really launch/spin/carry optimization. Not having touched the weights, I want to see how they change the ball flight.

That should be the focus of every fitting. You got to optimal numbers for your swing without a need for a change in weight. I am baffled why you would change that when it has not really hit the course as of yet.

Dan, what's your current weight config? Wouldn't you want the heavier weight in the toe to minimize the draw?

That should be the focus of every fitting. You got to optimal numbers for your swing without a need for a change in weight. I am baffled why you would change that when it has not really hit the course as of yet.

Just cabin fever speaking, really. Haven't even touched the lighter weights yet. Just too much time on the launch monitor leading to cabin fever.

I actually was not fit with the Alpha while at the ECPC. I went through the fitting with the Apex, then I let some others get on the LM to make sure everyone had a turn since we had a pretty tight turnaround. I wasn't able to get back on a LM with the woods before the bus headed to Palm Springs.

I took a lot of swings with the Alpha, BB, X2Hot and various shaft combos. I also talked to one of the fitters about the shafts (i.e., how the ball flew, dispersion), and based on those discussions and what I was seeing on the range I went with the Alpha, BB 3W and Tour Green for both. But, I did not put either on the LM, and other than flipping the gravity core down, I did not adjust the Alpha at all. Everything was stock setting, and I was frankly hitting a really straight ball that way.

It's all good, though. I'm glad that everyone was able to get some time on the LMs.

ATL,
I got what your throwing down. We saw what went on out there...:angel:

Dan, what's your current weight config? Wouldn't you want the heavier weight in the toe to minimize the draw?

I have the 7 gram in the heel and 3 in the toe. I don't want to get rid of the draw weighting. Just want it to be a little less right now.

I actually was not fit with the Alpha while at the ECPC. I went through the fitting with the Apex, then I let some others get on the LM to make sure everyone had a turn since we had a pretty tight turnaround. I wasn't able to get back on a LM with the woods before the bus headed to Palm Springs.

I took a lot of swings with the Alpha, BB, X2Hot and various shaft combos. I also talked to one of the fitters about the shafts (i.e., how the ball flew, dispersion), and based on those discussions and what I was seeing on the range I went with the Alpha, BB 3W and Tour Green for both. But, I did not put either on the LM, and other than flipping the gravity core down, I did not adjust the Alpha at all. Everything was stock setting, and I was frankly hitting a really straight ball that way.

It's all good, though. I'm glad that everyone was able to get some time on the LMs.

I really hope you can get your Alpha dialed in buddy. You were hitting it great in Cali and it was much longer than the RFX. Hopefully we can get a round in soon and maybe I can help you find something as well.

I have the 7 gram in the heel and 3 in the toe. I don't want to get rid of the draw weighting. Just want it to be a little less right now.

Got it. I wonder if the 5 in the heel and 3 in the toe would do the trick

Got it. I wonder if the 5 in the heel and 3 in the toe would do the trick

Tried that. No bueno. For what its worth, every combination is no bueno right now. I get so flat when swinging indoors I don't know if anything would help. Right now I have to stand so wide open and I still have like a 3 yard draw. It's quite ridiculous.

Back