Callaway Apex Irons Review Thread

I just received my lefty Apex with 660 f3 recoils , sweet looking sticks but the recoils shafts just feel too lite for me . I can't feel the head though my swing .
I am going to send them back , not giving up on the Apex but I going to get fitted in the spring to see what shaft is best for me . Mean while I will stick with my x-hot pros with px 95 flighted shafts , which is seems to be a nice combo for me ,great sticks as well.

gb

Lurve!!!!!

Playing these today reminded me of why I liked them so much. Just such a unique iron package and with the graphite shafts the muted sound/feel is really something that I absolutely love.

Got a few more swings in today with the 6 iron from this set. I'm in love with the look, sound, and feel of the iron. I was swinging it with a KBS Tour (non-Tour V) Stiff which at the time I thought was the wrong shaft for me. Even with not so great contact, I was hitting it dead straight though. The numbers on the sim were about a club shorter than my SpeedBlades, but I didn't bring my SB 6 iron to compare (on purpose...ha) and I haven't been swinging a whole lot lately. My plan of attack for now is lessons starting Thursday, with a full shaft fitting in a few weeks, and this Apex head will no doubt be the iron head I match those shafts to.

The distance is insane with these and a bit inconsistent, at least for me. I'm also noticing now that I'm striking the ball more purely than ever, that these have a "clicky" sound to them. Might just be me and that constant metronome sound I always hear :act-up:

These are really good irons and I honestly can't say anything about them to deter anyone from buying them other than the top line being a bit thick on the scoring irons, which I assume is why Mr. Spicoli went with the Pros 7-P?

The Pros feel a little better too, in my opinion. Not that the Apex feel bad AT ALL, in fact they are the best feeling GI iron I've ever hit, but the Pros lean a little more towards a muscle cavity in design so they feel more solid, at least to this hacker. I would actually make the same choice as Mr. Spicoli due to this, Apex 5-6 and Pro 7-G - the 7 iron is the longest Pro club I feel like I can actually handle consistently.

Pondering Apex 5 and 6 irons after considering my current bag due to WCBM's thread. Mostly a Hawkponder at the moment, but it would be sweet to have the extra forgiveness these offer in the longer irons and I would only have to drop $275 vs having to pay for a whole set. Probably KBS Tour V or PXi shafts would be money. Ideally I'd want to pair them up with Apex Pro 7-G in KBS Tour V, but that could wait as my CMB's are a very similar iron.

Hit the Apex 5 iron again on Saturday, and yep, I need these. Like, right now haha. Was knocking it out to 185 carry no problem on good strikes, and I still got 170-175 even when I thinned it. That kind of low face forgiveness could be a game changer for me. The shaft still makes the club feel a tad whippy, so I'd definitely want to get fit to the right shaft, but honestly I could probably play these stock in 5 and 6 iron and have no major issues.

Unfortunately, my g/f would kill me if I bought more clubs right now hahaha. So, if anybody wants to trade an Apex 5-6 for a Mashie 3h and a TM Rossa Fontana putter, hit me up... :alien:

y3eva2u2.jpg

ede3ape8.jpg

vu7eqe7e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice looking combo brian

These are sick with the recoil shafts, I was getting 30 yes 30 yards more than my i20s I kid thee not.

Hit these again. Fell in love again. Actually hit the in the xp95's instead of the recoils. Had great success. Wish I had an extra grand laying around..

Anyone hit the Apex with the Callaway CG M75i Tour? Are they a quality shaft like UST/Aldila ?

I had a fitting session with a Callaway fitter today. I want/need graphite, so we started with the Recoil F4s. I was very disappointed with them. Horrible club, couldn't get any feel off the face, spun way too much.

We moved on to the only other graphite shaft he had, the M75i Tour in 'X' (6I SS around 90) The results were much better, totally different club. Spin went down a good bit. I was getting a much better feel off the face, slightly clicky. They certainly are not as nice as my MP52, but that was to be suspected.

I only got about 25 mins hitting both shafts so no where near deciding what to do. Very disappointed in the options I had. They don't do the 95/100s in Europe, so it either the M75s or bust. The rep mentioned they do a Aldila shaft as well, but can't find anything online.

Hit the 6 iron today at golfsmith and I think I'm in love. Whyyyyyyy do they have to be so exspensive haha. really though, these things are sweet. The forgiveness was amazing, I felt like I couldn't miss. Not to mention the soft feel and distance I was getting out of them. I currently game the X Hot Pros and the Apexs were a good 10 yards longer. I was carrying the 6 Iron about 175-180 on good strikes. Seriously considering trading in my XHP for these. Seems like I'll get some more forgiveness with the Apexs as well. I just can't get over how smooth and soft they feel!

Hit the 6 iron today at golfsmith and I think I'm in love. Whyyyyyyy do they have to be so exspensive haha. really though, these things are sweet. The forgiveness was amazing, I felt like I couldn't miss. Not to mention the soft feel and distance I was getting out of them. I currently game the X Hot Pros and the Apexs were a good 10 yards longer. I was carrying the 6 Iron about 175-180 on good strikes. Seriously considering trading in my XHP for these. Seems like I'll get some more forgiveness with the Apexs as well. I just can't get over how smooth and soft they feel!

You and me both bud. They are so awesome, but way too rich for my blood at the moment!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Hit these again. Fell in love again. Actually hit the in the xp95's instead of the recoils. Had great success. Wish I had an extra grand laying around..

Price tag is only thing keeping me from even giving them a swing. They really look great.

These clubs feel so good and well balanced with Fujikura MCI shafts.

Just sold mine yesterday. We had fun, but in the end I didn't like the all over the place distance.

Rap-a-tap Tappin' on my SG4

Still hitting 180 yard 8Is ? :banghead:

Not now. But did hit one that went 188. It was just all over the place and even with impact tape I couldn't see where the problem was. I've moved on now.

Just sold mine yesterday. We had fun, but in the end I didn't like the all over the place distance.

Rap-a-tap Tappin' on my SG4

Interesting. I haven't experienced the "hot" face issues as of yet. Admittedly, that was a concern when I saw it mentioned in the thread.

Were you seeing this outdoors or indoors (or both)?

Interesting. I haven't experienced the "hot" face issues as of yet. Admittedly, that was a concern when I saw it mentioned in the thread.

Was just coming on here to post the same. thinking back to guys hitting these last September and since gaming them, I dont recall anyone else running into this...yet

Both. I went to an outdoor range that was heated and saw a lot of the same. Sometimes it goes the right distance, other times it flies the target by a good distance. I wasn't catching it thin on these either. These were shots dead center and feel amazing, but then they just go forever. The launch monitor was more of the same. It got problematic with the 9i and PW especially.

I loved the feel of these and can see where the distance and forgiveness can really benefit a lot. However, where my game is right now and where it's heading these aren't right for me at this time.

Interesting.

I'll keep track of whether I'm experiencing this issue in the future.

After yesterday I still cant believe what happened last night, I went into to finalize the order today and talking to the staff in the shop and none of them had ever hit the recoil shafts before and they couldn't believe the difference either. 7-10 working days is too long to wait!!!!

Can you put a price on a thing of beauty?

No but my wife can, and when she looks in our hall closet and sees four full sets of clubs each in their own golf bag, let's just say she knows every club in there. Think she took inventory one day, i am sure of it.

Now when it comes to my other pricey activity, i am lucky she does not go rooting around in my gun safe.

Not now. But did hit one that went 188. It was just all over the place and even with impact tape I couldn't see where the problem was. I've moved on now.

Interesting.

I'll keep track of whether I'm experiencing this issue in the future.

I am surprised to hear this in part as i figuring the forging would reduce the chances of hot spots. I have tried clubs before that i steered away from, because of large distance gaps.

After yesterday I still cant believe what happened last night, I went into to finalize the order today and talking to the staff in the shop and none of them had ever hit the recoil shafts before and they couldn't believe the difference either. 7-10 working days is too long to wait!!!!

Which recoil did you go for and what is your SS ?

Back