How many balls do you get through in a season/year, and why?

Mizuno Blue

Reaction score
Handicap
Bandit
After reading and being quite surprised by the amount of balls some people carry, it leads me to ask, how many balls do you get through in a season/year and why?

Now you may like to use a new ball every competition and retire a used ball to the practice shoot, or you play the same ball until its lost or scuffed too much.

Over to you....

I pretty much play mine til they are either lost or scuffed up pretty badly.

Its usually lost before its beat up beyond playability

I usually go through a couple a round. I will either lose one or hit at tree, path, or something that will damage the ball to the point that it goes in my shag bag.

For me I will play a ball until it gets scuffed, then it is retired to the practice kettle. Normally I will start the season with around 4-5 dozen with hopes of making it through.

I lose one per round and beat the hell out of another. Once every 2 months I get wild and lose 4 or 5 balls. I play around 100 rounds per year, so that's around 250 balls per year.

Like asking how many rain drop fell today. Not sure but I know its alot.

That's a tough one to answer for me. I don't typically lose too many and a scuff on my ball has to be pretty noticeable for me to get rid of it. Then again I do have those rounds where I seem to lose every ball that I have in my bag.

I play them until they are lost. I may lose a ball or two per 18? I would say I go through 4-5 dozen in a season? Never really thought about it though.

Pretty much one per round. Played 180 rounds last year. Looks like 15 dozen balls fo me.

I play every day, so it's a new sleeve every day, so figure 30 x 3, or 90 new balls a month, pro v1x, ouch.

Oh, most rounds I throw all three balls into a used ball area of my tour bag after the round and 1 of them is usually brand new, eventually they go into lakes while waiting on tees for golfers that take over 4 hours to play a round.

Guys look at me and ask why I'm hitting new balls into lakes, I say I used them once, and I need to get rid of them.

Play a ball until it gets scuffed up pretty badly. Usually get 2 - 3 rounds out of a ball. So that would equate to about 4 dozen per year.

I go through a bunch but I'm not very good. Add in that every ball I try seems to be attracted to water or tree lines and I can't keep them.
If one does survive 9 holes, I swap it out and it goes on the Wall of Fame.

I lose one per round and beat the hell out of another. Once every 2 months I get wild and lose 4 or 5 balls. I play around 100 rounds per year, so that's around 250 balls per year.

20 boxes :shock: are you sponsored, if not you need to be

I'm not sure if I have an exact number. Last year was the first year where I had multiple rounds without losing a ball (I played approx 35 rounds last year). I typically lose balls before they get too beat up to game on the course, when they do I leave them in my bag and hit them at the range. This year I found a great deal, and I bought 9 dozen E5s for $185.00 (I already have a dozen at home) My goal is not to have to buy any more balls this year and hopefully have some balls that I can carry over to next year or use them as practice balls.

All depends on the ratio of all the lost balls I find from these other guys to the amount I lose myself. Just kidding, I donate my fair share too. Usually lose at least one myself and 2 rounds may be a max if I can keep same ball. So if I was guessing I would say at least 5 boxes a season taking in me finding some decent ones to play on the course.

I go through, on average, two balls a round. I usually retire the balls to the shag bag at the end of the round or save them for winter play. I hit a lot of wedges and I'm hard on the balls so they get pretty scuffed up.

I play 30 rounds a year so 60 balls. I normally purchase 4 or 5 dozen Tour level balls at the start of the season and play them till they run out.

I'd have to say somewhere around 6 dozen. I play a lot during the season and it's about 50/50 on losing/scuffing balls where I don't use them anymore.

I probably go through around 3 dozen or so a season. I will play a ball until it is scuffed up beyond repair or I lose it. I don't lose all that many balls usually (I lose most of my strokes around the green...need to fix that haha), so it's common for me to only play 2 or 3 balls a round on most courses, saving the one I used on #18 to start the next round with. On courses without too many hazards, I can sometimes use the same ball the whole round as well. I will also play found balls as long as they are good quality and similar to what I am gaming at the time, so that cuts back on my purchases a bit.

I lose a ton of balls, and way before they get scuffed up. I'm sure I went through at least 20 boxes of balls in 2013.

I would expect a few of you hadn't realised how many you got through until replying on here! At present the average seems to be 4-6 boxes which is where I would put myself. The excessive end is 15-20 boxes, god they must be tough tracks!

For those averaging 4-6 dozen and based on Pro V's over here, that would be around £175 a year (£15 p/month), at the other end of the scale buying and getting through 12 dozen or more, that would be £420 a year or £35. per month!

I can go 3 or 4 rounds without losing a ball or it becoming too scuffed around my own track, but when I play some of the tough links courses over here, I expect, but try not to, lose a couple a round.

Last season I started with 7 dozen balls I had picked up on the cheap in the off season which lasted me the entire season. Very rarely will I play a ball that I find as I've become a semi ball snob so I'd say I put about 100 balls into play last season. I play a lot of links style course so a majority of the balls end up in knee high weeds. Also, I have a way of finding cart paths so I lose a lot of balls to cuts/scuffs.

I'm shocked that many of the replies are less than a sleeve of balls a round. I guess that totally depends on the type of courses you play and the placement of the OB/Water hazards but that number seems really low.

Last season I started with 7 dozen balls I had picked up on the cheap in the off season which lasted me the entire season. Very rarely will I play a ball that I find as I've become a semi ball snob so I'd say I put about 100 balls into play last season. I play a lot of links style course so a majority of the balls end up in knee high weeds. Also, I have a way of finding cart paths so I lose a lot of balls to cuts/scuffs.

I'm shocked that many of the replies are less than a sleeve of balls a round. I guess that totally depends on the type of courses you play and the placement of the OB/Water hazards but that number seems really low.

The course I play most regularly is fairly tight and tree lined, but there are only a few water hazards and the trees will sometimes kick your ball back into play if you hit a crap shot, so I rarely lose more than a ball or two, and sometimes can make it through on one ball (like last round).

Evry couple of rounds, I usually lose a ball. Just about every round, I scuff up a ball bad enough to retire it, usually from hitting trees and desert rocks.

As you state, courses do vary and we can all have purple days and horror days to boot.

However, with that said, if I was loosing a sleeve a round I would seriously question if this game was for me, either that or my course management needed to be addressed.

I played Burnham & Berrow (links) at the weekend, a very tough tight course with plenty of blinds shots and I'd not played it before, I lost 2 balls but they were both off the 18th tee, to say I was gutted would be an understatement, especially unbeknown to me I was leading the field and the last group in at that time. I've also played Hoylake (Royal Liverpool) and lost 2 balls, Wallasey (the home of Stableford) and lost none, Silloth 2 balls, West Lancs 2 balls (1 hole), Formby and many more tough links courses in wind & rain and I've never lost a sleeve of balls to my knowledge.

Back