Project X graphite for irons vs Alidla Rip 95

ParParPar

Reaction score
Handicap
Hello all, I'm new here and have recently run into some frustration. I hope I'm in the right place to post this, i know some forums can be fickle. I have searched and searched and have resigned myself to posting on this forum. So any info is welcomed.

To make a long story short, i had back surgery about 5 years ago. This was due to me trying to make an arrest on a moron for taking a slab of bacon from a local Walmart. He was much bigger than i by the way!!

I quit playing golf for several years and in the last couple of years, i have picked it up again. I am currently using the Project X 6.0 for my irons and have begun to notice my iron swings are lazy. I hit my woods , hybrids, all shafted with graphite, quite well, and don't have any problems. I'm about a 5 handicap.

when all is said in done , my iron shafts are close to 130 grams. So i have made the decision to switch to graphite.

I have spoke with several places, and it seems they want to push whatever they have in stock, or whatever they will get a bigger cut on.

I have cut it down to Project X graphite for irons or Aldila rip 95 tour. I would like an opinion and if there is another shaft out there with similar charactistics please let me know.

Thabks again.

Last edited:
Glad to have you. There are a few guys that have played the PX graphite here and hopefully they'll jump in. Not a ton of info on the RIP Tours. I did a review of the Fuji MCI's last year and still really enjoy them if you'd like more info.

First off welcome to THP. I moved this over to the shaft section for easy finding.
I have played both and prefer the Project X line of shafts. To be fair though, that is what I was fit into a couple of years ago.
Now I have moved on to other graphite shafts with the Matrix Program being my favorite of the bunch.

Thanks guys. I'm really frustrated with this. I have referred to the forum many times when researching equipment. In my opinion it seems like the only place to get honest and unbiased opinions. So any help is appreciated.

Can I ask what brought you to those two shafts?

Absolutely, i currently play, and love the Project X 6.0 steel shaft. I wanted a graphite shaft that was lighter and behaved similarly with a mid to high kick, and low trajectory. Upon researching graphite, those were the only two that i could find that were in the same category.

now I'm not saying they are the only ones, but it's all i found. Also, the guy who i plan on ording the shafts from, said i should take a look at the Alidla when i asked if he could get his hands on the PX graphite for irons. They keep the Aldila in stock and have to order the PX. So he would rather sell me the Aldila.

Im im open to ideas. Im Not stuck on those two shafts. But like i said, those were the only ones that i could find, or either mentioned to have mid to high kick, in graphite.

In my opinion you have some other options.
UST Recoil were lower launching for me.
The Matrix Programs are classified as mid/high, but for me launched very similar to that of the Project X.
Its tough to fit without numbers, but you are on a good fence. If you like the Project X line, its a quality shaft. I did prefer the PX to that of the other in terms of feel through the swing. But that is a personal preference.

Absolutely, i currently play, and love the Project X 6.0 steel shaft. I wanted a graphite shaft that was lighter and behaved similarly with a mid to high kick, and low trajectory. Upon researching graphite, those were the only two that i could find that were in the same category.

now I'm not saying they are the only ones, but it's all i found. Also, the guy who i plan on ording the shafts from, said i should take a look at the Alidla when i asked if he could get his hands on the PX graphite for irons. They keep the Aldila in stock and have to order the PX. So he would rather sell me the Aldila.

Im im open to ideas. Im Not stuck on those two shafts. But like i said, those were the only ones that i could find, or either mentioned to have mid to high kick, in graphite.

I know it's really tough to get a good fitting since many of these shafts are expensive and not really available all over the place in fitting carts.

Here are some threads that you can check out...

RIP Tour
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...0082-RIP-Tour-Iron-Shafts-Anyone-Evaluate-Yet

Fujikura MCI
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?47063-Fujikura-MCI-Iron-Shaft-Review
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/?p=20350
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?45762-Fujikura-MCI-Iron-Shafts-Review/page5

Recoil
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?41818-UST-Recoil-Shafts-Review-Thread

Aerotech
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?44229-Aerotech-SteelFiber-Shaft-Thread

Matrix has a new Program offering coming that has similar technology to the MCI (weight moved lower in the shaft to offset swingweight issues). They are ultra expensive though. For that matter, so are the Fuji's too.

I can really only help you with the Fujis as far as true feedback goes. Didn't care for the Recoils. I will say that I watched my instructor hit the Fujis the other night, in a flex less than he would normally play, and his numbers were surprisingly good. A little high on the spin side, but not out of control and some great dispersion. He's a Fuji dealer and hasn't stocked them yet due to price/interest. For me, numbers show they are mid spin/launch, they feel super smooth, balance nicely, and just in general are awesome lol. I really do like them though. Wish I had 10 sets to put in every set of irons I review.

Cool, i will read thru the above information. If i have questions i will come back. My sons, 13 and 17 are both avid golfers. For the first time, my oldest out drive me. So i may be looking for a new driver..... That's a joke, i love my driver. They always have questions that i can't answer. I just hope i can offer as much as i get back. Thanks again.

Good luck and always here to help. If we don't know, we can hopefully point you towards somebody that can.

I've read the above listed threads and i am in even more of a quandary than i was before!! Ha!!

A friend of mine suggested the Matrix "kujoh" for irons as well. I think what i am going to do is paper, scissors, rock. I think when you get to this point all the companies are pretty darn good, and nothing is going to be terrible. In fact, it going to boil down to the intangibles and unless you get the chance to use each shaft, your not going to know any better.

I'm going to hit the Matrix Kujoh in a few hours.

I agree with you to an extent. There is a difference in feel among those I listed above, & I do believe the bulk of my preference is based on that versus performance. The Kujoh will probably be a pretty nice shaft. That series is sort of the budget line for matrix, but is still regarded as good quality. Let us know how it works out!

Well, i was disappointed. The Kujoh felt really flimsy to be blunt, i was using the stiff version, did not have xx. The pro said the same thing you did in reference to the Kujoh being the budget line. I found a place to swing the aldila, I'm off and will report back.

I have a feeling you'd like the recoil protos and maybe the Aerotech.

Ok, the Aldila RIP 95 iron shaft is a beast, in my opinion. I was highly impressed with the feedback on the solid strikes of the ball. If your off just a hair, it's going to feel much like the PX steel that I'm using now. The only downfall that i found was the graphics. I don't know what it is today with graphics, I'm 44 and never needed the fancy graphics to hit a ball strait before. Maybe I'm just getting old. Do graphics help? I hit a 5 iron and for all trouble i have gone thru it was worth it. I would have liked to have tried it in the 9-PW but that was not possible.

tomorrow i will travel to Houston to take the wife shopping (pit stop at club champion) and try the PX graphite for irons. I like the solid blue with little in the way of graphics. But from all the research, I'm seeing the Aldila being the more tried and true. So odds are the Aldila. Wait.... Tomorrow is Sunday. Chit!!!! Well..... Hopefully they are open,or it's going to be a long trip to the mall for nothing.

I switched from PX95 to the Rip Tours about a month or so ago. I went with the Rip 115s though. So far it was a good decision. It took about 10 rounds to get used to them though. I thought with the heavier weight shaft I might lose distance, but I've gained distance. Used to hit the 6i about 170, the last week or so, been around the 180 range. I didn't have the luxury or trying out different graphite shafts, so I just went with what I could find on the internet. I think before I change shafts again though I will probably try and order a shaft from each company I am comparing and try and test them before committing $300+ in the future. Maybe that is what you should try, narrow it down to 2-3 choices and try and order a shaft to try out, better spending $100 to find the one you like instead of $300+ and getting something you don't know if you will like.

My wife suggested the same thing. But i called around and drive to corps Christi, to San Antonio, and then To Houston the day. The Aldilla in my mind performed much better for me. Not saying the other shafts were not good, the Aldia was just a better fit. The ball flight and spin was perfect, so says the pro looking at the launch monitor.

My is has been a good and frustrating experience. I used to know what i wanted and would simply go get it. The golf world has changed significantly over the last 10 years.

About a month ago, i got a new driver shaft. I went and was fitted on a launch monitor and the shaft ( Oban Kyoshi white) has been the best addition to my set in years. It's added about 10-12 yards and fairway percentage went up 14%. My son has a program that keeps our stats. It's pretty neat. I love the shaft, it cost some coin, but worth it. I'm hoping to see the same result with my irons.

I'm kind of old fashioned for 44 years old. As i mentioned previously, the graphics were the one thing holding me back, like my son said, you play golf with a white driver shaft and your worried about graphics on your iron shafts?

I didnt know what to say.

Thanks all. If i can figure out how to post pics, I'll do it next week , of the new shafts.

Back