Is this even fair?

I would hate this hole. This is one that I would not be taking driver off the tee, and that rarely happens.

Is it fair? Yes, because everyone has to play it.
Is it a good hole, not in my opinion. It just looks like the trees have been left to grow out on a poorly designed hole.

Stupid looking hole imo. Trees are such a weak way to make a hole hard.

I agree that this hole is poorly designed but I find this take interesting. We have numerous courses up here that are just carved out forests basically and they are the toughest courses around. In comparison, links style courses are a breeze IMO but I've never thought of course designers using trees as poor course design.

*cough*#17 @ El Campeon*cough*

I hit the same fairway bunker both days......... and JB's statement: "Maybe you shouldn't play such a forgiving driver" since it was dead straight and I wanted it to cut.

But War Eagle backing one up off the green and into the water was the most unfair thing I've seen in a long time.

Stupid looking hole imo. Trees are such a weak way to make a hole hard.

I agree. 3 wood or hybrid off the tee and then maybe another hybrid in for me. We have a course close by that has a hole I hate (tight with tree's) so I just don't play there.

I am going to take this post from another forum where a member posted about Hole 3 at Lonnie Poole. At the time of this post it was a par 4 which makes it almost impossible to par. After a ton of complaints they changed it to a par 5 however it is still a tough hole and in competition they still play the hole as a par 4

No folks, thats not a typo. This is the all new North Carolina State University Golf Course and that is the yardage of this par 4 from the NCSU Competition tees. There are 4 other sets of tees and the yardages there are 526/501/468/450. Yes, thats correct as well, 450 yards from the most forward tees. I am going to put up a whole course photo tour tomorrow, but I wanted to deal with this one hole specifically, just because its such an oddity. I have nothing against the length; for a while on here I've said par 4's aught to make the best players hit Driver-3 wood for the two shots every now and then. However, this hole has it all. Its without a doubt the toughest par 4 I have ever seen.

The tee shot:

The landing area is roughly in the area of the main hill line you can see in the picture where the turf is slightly brown backed by the greenness. This hole plays slightly uphill off the tee. If you can't fly the ball 300 yards, your ball lands on an upslope in the fairway. Mine did and rolled out a little bit. Once over that ridge, the fairway slopes down towards that large bunker/waste area on the left.

The second shot:

Now, recall that I said the fairway sort of funnels the ball down near the bunker, a slight 'power alley' but with a major cost. You are looking at a 250ish yard second shot from a ball above the feet, downhill lie. Also, note the grown up waste area short of the green (in front of the bunker in case you don't understand). That is a creek basin and those weeds are roughly chest deep. No chance of finding a ball down in there, let alone playing a shot. And of course there is the humongous bunker short of the green as well, with the Tobacco Road style grassy areas mixed into the sand.

Closer view of the green:

Follow the top edge of the bunker around from right to left until it terminates and turns back right. The green right there is a false front and as you can see, it is fronted even more by fairway area that runs some 30 yards back short of the green. The slope of the green is not substantial, but at speeds of 10 (today, I am sure in competition they will be 11.5+) it is certainly enough to run the ball back off the front and down the hill a little ways if you don't crest over the ridge of the false front.

So, lets summarize. We have a 552 par 4 where unless you fly the ball 300+ off the tee, your ball is going to be landing on an upslope on an all ready uphill teeshot. Though I suppose you could bail it over to the right and have a flatish lie and 275 or so to the green. Now, after the teeshot lands on an uphill slope, you have either and uphill, ball above the feet lie OR a downhill, ball above the feet lie attempting to hit 3 wood or a long hybrid into an uphill green fronted by a watery waste area, a huge bunker; the green also has a false front and a closely mown area that will run the ball back some 30 yards if it lands short of the green. And the green itself, while not excessively contoured, is nowhere near large enough to hold a 3wood shot that lands on the putting surface.

I played this hole today and I hit 5 excellent shots such that I was able to tap in a 2 foot putt for Double. Ripped a drive about 300 yards straight over the ridge I commented on. Then I hit a great 3 wood, but from a downhill, ball-above-feet lie, it of course hooked. The ball bounced off the false front of the green and rolled back about 25 yards into the rough. From the rough, I hit as good a pitch as I think I could hit, it lands on the false fronted green, kicks right, rolls along the false front ridge and proceeds to roll back off the front down near the bunker, about 10 feet off the putting surface. Another good chip to 5 feet and a well struck putt that lipped out, plus the tap in gives 6 happy shots to complete this hole. I've have played 5 above average shots on a par 4 only to walk away with double.

What thinks all you of this monster of a golf hole??

Tough looking hole. Not of fan of that length/width combination, but I would probably go 5W/HY and hope for the best. 5 is a good score for me on that particular set up.

And forget it with that 500 yard uphill par 4! I'd be very happy with a 6.

Is this even fair?

I play a course semi regularly (Spring Hills in California - look it up and read the reviews) that has 17 ridiculously designed and unfair holes :lol:

Going 5 wood off the tee because I have the most control with it. Probably followed up with a 3 Hybrid or 4 iron depending on how well I hit the 5 wood. (Pending I put it in that walk way, I mean fairway)

March down the fairway with a pitching wedge. Longest club I can keep straight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would hit the longest club that gives me the best shot of being in the fairway. Likely a 3 hybrid. Even it it means that I am going to be a little short of the green with my second shot. I'd prefer to take my chance on getting up & down for par from short of the green then risk a big number from the woods.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To answer the question in the thread, I do not believe it is a fair hole. Now, looks like everyone is running scared from this golf hole! I would hit my driver, set up down the right side and draw into the middle of the fairway. ( no sissy fade here) Depending on how well I hit the drive, Use a 6 or 5 iron for second shot. I am going to play positive golf, set up and be trust my swing. I am no going to try and not do something, to quote an old golf buddy, "I did not come here to played scared" !

I would hit a low, cut 3W out to 240+ and play in from there. Low because those overhanging trees require it. Cut to keep from hooking a runner into the woods....

Respect and fear are two different things :)

I would hit a low, cut 3W out to 240+ and play in from there. Low because those overhanging trees require it. Cut to keep from hooking a runner into the woods....

Respect and fear are two different things :)

I fear no man or golf course....but a couple of women scare the hell out of me ///////111111111

Back