Is this even fair?

I would probably go Hybrid off the tee and leave myself a 5 or 6 into the green. Play for bogie. Par is a win.

The game you speak of is foriegn to me haha. Great to have all shots in your bag man.

If you play in wind or tight courses, you have that shot, just choke down 2 inches on club and 3/4 swing it with hands a little ahead of normal address position with ball teed lower. Bingo, the ball comes off the face of a driver or 3w very low and straight like a bullet. Perfect for chutes. I have a chute on a course I play, if you can't hit that shot you will hit a tree anyway you look. Plus if you can hit the stinger with some lenght, you have to draw it a bit, or another set of trees near the 100 marker block you. It's a 400 chute hole, that looks like nothing on paper, then you see why it's one of the toughest holes on that course.

You card a birdie on that hole, even with 80 guys in the field and 50% of them 'pros', you might get a skin, it's the one hole that a birdie often holds up on.

420 yards from the tips, or where you play? If I'm on a course with that design playing from my 'tee it forward' designation, I'm calling it bad course design.

Holes like this should allow for an iron off the tee leaving a mid iron in the green (IMO). At 420 yards, I'm not hitting anything other than driver because that still leaves me a mid iron into the hole even if I hit the fairway.

I'd go with a driver stinger, longer approach.

That hole looks like a majority of my course!! You have to learn to play the punch shot or learn where to miss

I played an 18 hole course similar to that hole in upstate NY near Lake George with my brothers while on vacation. It was like playing pinball golf. Got my first birdie ever there on a pitch shot out of the woods on a par 3.

420 yards from the tips, or where you play? If I'm on a course with that design playing from my 'tee it forward' designation, I'm calling it bad course design.

Holes like this should allow for an iron off the tee leaving a mid iron in the green (IMO). At 420 yards, I'm not hitting anything other than driver because that still leaves me a mid iron into the hole even if I hit the fairway.

Just the 2 tee locations, men's and women's. It is a poor design IMO.

Ugh, don't like that hole at all. I would hit hybrid, 9 iron and wedge it close for the Par. Not ideal, but Pars are perfect IMO.

As several of you stated you have to hit your tee shot low, sometimes even the 2nd shot. You need to hit a minimum of 250 down the left side to have a normal approach with a mid iron.

4 or 5 iron off the tee and leave yourself a knockdown shot to get it through those trees, holy cow that's tight!

A course near me (Deerfield CC) has a hole just like this only with a creek in the landing zone and creates an incredibly tough uphill approach shot. I finally managed to par the hole last summer and you would have thought I eagled the hole given the way I celebrated.

My approach though is I am trying to hit to a number that gives me a manageable approach shot to the green. That has usually meant a 3 wood off the tee and hoping/praying I am putting myself into a position for a clean approach shot.

You know, (with due respect) some of you guys are talking as though everyone has your talents. Truth is that the masses who play this game are (unless lucky) rarely making these shots to pull this hole off. It is a ridiculous hole even for the average avid golfer. Both long and very tight leaving very little room for error and no real design allowing for a fair chance for anything less than almost perfect. Decent (relatively speaking) doesn't even cut it here imo. The only way this hole begins to even become fair is if it were a tad longer and made a P5 where 3 shorter irons would possibly be a route that the average golfer may consider would be a fair chance at par. Perhaps 3 8irons or something like that or whatever. Even you better players do not have much relief for being anything more than a little less than perfect. Bottom line this hole imo is not fair.

OOhh.. looks fun!

Stinger 4 wood dead center hoping it trickles to the left for the approach shot. I usually get this shot to go around 250. This would leave me a 7i into the green that I can hit pretty high and land soft, or play a high 8i to the front part. Only other way would be hybrid to 220 and 5i in to front of green and hope it rolls up to pin high.

This hole is for sure a "par is great" type of hole.

Agree rollin. It's a stupid hole. Long is one thing, tight is one thing, but long and (ridiculously) tight while forcing a low trajectory is lame.

Which I saw you hit on Sunday. Then smoke a hybrid to a wonderful layup yardage. And then...

It was an iron I hit

and then the festivities began

Agree with Rollin. Says a lot when I'm not all that upset with a double on this hole considering the trouble you can get into.
They should just dogleg it more right and call it a par 5.

Agree rollin. It's a stupid hole. Long is one thing, tight is one thing, but long and (ridiculously) tight while forcing a low trajectory is lame.

It's almost Mickey Mouse hole design. Ridiculous. If you shorten that hole to a 350 yard par 4, totally changes how the hole is enjoyed.

Even better, take a whole bunch of yardage off, make it a "reachable" par 4. But I hate long for the sake of long.

Strong 3 wood off of the tee, then an iron at the green.

Jackal

It's almost Mickey Mouse hole design. Ridiculous. If you shorten that hole to a 350 yard par 4, totally changes how the hole is enjoyed.

Even better, take a whole bunch of yardage off, make it a "reachable" par 4. But I hate long for the sake of long.

Yep. 350 yards changes things altogether. That or hire a tree service to at least maintain that bird's nest.

Reminds me of a putt putt course.

Hit through the tunnel before the windmill slaps the ball.:bad:

JAckal

A course near me (Deerfield CC) has a hole just like this only with a creek in the landing zone and creates an incredibly tough uphill approach shot. I finally managed to par the hole last summer and you would have thought I eagled the hole given the way I celebrated.

My approach though is I am trying to hit to a number that gives me a manageable approach shot to the green. That has usually meant a 3 wood off the tee and hoping/praying I am putting myself into a position for a clean approach shot.

That hole is very annoying, I usually play a hybrid and let the ball go down to the small area before the water. I've played with guys who clear the creek but still that second shot is so uphill.

Barring a chainsaw, I would stay back with a 3W or 5W off the tee and hit the same club on the way in. That's a tough looking hole for sure.

I would go Driver, I've been hitting it pretty straight but after that I'm sure i'd miss that small green. Looks brutal to get on with the approach shot.

Wow! That hole does look rough. If I was trying to play smart, (which seldom happens) I would probably tee off with my 7 iron which goes 140 - 150 yards. That should get me to a spot on the fairway short of the pinch point, and I should at least have a line to, or nearby the green with my 3 hybrid, which goes about 200. Pitch it on, and try to get it close.
If I don't hear the crack of wood on my second shot, I should be golden.

Back