2002 Big Bertha Irons

twoods

Reaction score
Handicap
I just went back to these irons and must say, they might be the best Big Bertha irons ever made. Better than the 04, 06, or dare I might say any irons Callaway has produced since. I have not hit the Apex. I have played x12, x14, xhot, x2hot,Hawk eyes, razr, razr xf, razr hl, bb94, diablos both american and European versions, bb96, x20, x22, fusion, Cleveland vas purple, Ta5 gunmetall, TA7 gunmetal, CG black, HB3, 588 altitude, taylormade R11, Speedblades, 2.0's, R9, R7 draw, Ping eye, eye2, zing, zing 2, isi all models, i3, i5, g2, g5, g10,g15, g20, g25, mizuno mp 14, 33, 32, mx 23, warrior irons, Titleist AP 1's, Wilson with the fat shafts, Wilson fluid feels, wilson staff blades, Adams various models, and my first ever set of Spectras. Needless to say, of all these irons, the Big Bertha 02 irons combine the best feel and forgiveness for me and could be the best irons ever designed for the high handicapper. As an 11ish handicap, I think these irons are about as good as it gets. My other two favorite irons are the R11's and the 588 Alt's. To me these are the perfect blend of these two sets combined. The long irons are high launching and the low irons and wedges are like scalpels. I just wanted to bump this thread and see if there was any other BB 02 love out there.

I dont know about the 02BB but I use to be in love with my uncles x16s. Now those my friend are some great irons. Unmatched feel forgiveness and distance

I played them way back in the day. Liked them quite a bit and still have the 7 iron.
Dont necessarily agree about the assessment, but definitely glad you found something you are enjoying.

I'm wondering if we could be seeing an eventual return of BB irons as well?

I played them way back in the day. Liked them quite a bit and still have the 7 iron.
Dont necessarily agree about the assessment, but definitely glad you found something you are enjoying.

I agree with JB. I owned the 02 BB irons, played them for a year or so and loved em at the time, but that was some time ago and irons have changed a lot since. All that matters is that you like em and they do the job for you.

Did I mention that Arnold Palmer played these when they first came out!

I remember when they came out they were so easy to hit, but the size of the head was over whelming.

Does he still game them? I wasn't sure if he did, just remember seeing them in his bag on TV and on Cally's web site. Maybe I was a little over the top comparing the wedges to scalpels. Lol. But, these are very forgiving irons that are just fun to hit, and I love the sound of a well struck shot.

I remember when they came out they were so easy to hit, but the size of the head was over whelming.
I thought the same thing when they came out, but now they don't seem so big to me especially compared to Altitudes or Hb3's.

I hope so! Although, I liked the 02's better than the O4's, 06's, and 08's. Something about the material used on the club face is different and feels so much more solid to me. To me the irons accoustically sound as good as the new driver and 3 wood. Very powerful with almost a metallic wood like sound at impact. If they could reproduce this sound with a little thinner top line, I'm in.

From what we heard from Callaway, my guess would be no. They got away from the name for a few years because they just put it on any club and it got overused. Not saying there's a 0% chance, but my guy feeling says we probably won't see Big Bertha irons in the next few years, but you never know.

From what we heard from Callaway, my guess would be no. They got away from the name for a few years because they just put it on any club and it got overused. Not saying there's a 0% chance, but my guy feeling says we probably won't see Big Bertha irons in the next few years, but you never know.

with BB Drivers & FW's available, hard to fathom Irons are not far behind

I think my cousin had some '02 BB irons he gamed for a while. I had some '98 BB irons that I played for a long time, and it college too. Those were great clubs, and that 5 iron was my go to club and I never missed it! When I was getting fitted back in the summer of '99, that's the club I used. They had me warm up, then make 5 swings on their monitor, and I never missed the sweet spot once.
Anyway, not surprised your '02's are your favorite.

with BB Drivers & FW's available, hard to fathom Irons are not far behind

Just interpreting what I heard from the people at Callaway behind the names and technology. I could be way wrong, but Big Bertha was brought back because of the innovation and revolutionary tech they've come up with. If they have that in irons in the future, I could see it. And with the people at Callaway now, it's innovate or die (Odyssey too).

Just interpreting what I heard from the people at Callaway behind the names and technology. I could be way wrong, but Big Bertha was brought back because of the innovation and revolutionary tech they've come up with. If they have that in irons in the future, I could see it. And with the people at Callaway now, it's innovate or die (Odyssey too).

i was not in anyway questioning you, just from a marketing standpoint with the success of the new Big Bertha(s) release you would think Irons are in the works

The 06' model was the last set I gamed before coming back to the game last year. I seriously wish I still had them. Basic cavity back design no frills it just got the job done.

Was reading through old topics and came across this one on Big Bertha 2002. I have been playing my 2002 Big Bertha irons for over 12 years now. Still love them as much as the day I bought them. Just shot my lowest round ever last weekend of 78 (36 on the back 9) with them. I have changed drivers and 3 wood a few times, using the Callaway Rogue currently, so I am not completely adverse to new technology just haven’t found a reason yet to switch irons. Anybody else out there playing with some “outdated” clubs they still love?

Ping i3+. Extensive fitting session with a yardstick and the Ping chart. All my schit is outdated. The hole is still 4-1/4” last I checked.

Interesting... I had a slightly earlier version - the BB Golds with stiff RCH shafts. Still have them but when I came back to the game and had a few lessons - the lie and length wasn't quite right and they would have all needed changing, so bought a CPO set with the rights loft and lie.

But I would say in terms of standing the test of time - the BBs were great and I don't think I will sell them. Might try and put them back in service one day as the feel from the Gold heads was amazing.

A

Honestly I'm thinking about picking up a set. I have the 4 and on occasion throw it in the bag. I employed it as a sort of driving iron. I hit one of my best shots ever with that 4 iron some years back - a perfect draw about 210 out into a par 5 to set me up for an eagle putt (that I missed of course).

Really just always loved the look and feel of the 2002s specifically. And my game got so out of whack in the last few years I'm open to using shovels at this point.

Still use mine. Original owner. 4-W. Still have on the original grips.20230601_234804.jpg20230601_234959.jpg

After 26 years I just retired my 96BB. They had a good run. For a few seasons I even had a 2 iron in the bag. Darn things held up well. Gonna miss them but I do love my new Ping 425s with the geezer shafts.

Back