With phone apps, why buy a GPS?

thewitt

Reaction score
Handicap
I purchased a Golf Caddie GPS a few years ago. I loved it. Knowing the distances to hazards, end of fairways, green quadrants, etc, made me a much better, faster player.

I laid off golf for a few years as my job moved me from the US to Malaysia, and golf was really not on the list for a while.

I started playing again this year, and was going to have my GPS mailed to me, but found that I would have to map my own courses as none of the tracks I played were mapped. It was time to start shopping for a new GPS or switch to a rangefinder, or something.

In desperation I downloaded Golf Logix on my iPhone, and found half the courses I play mapped already. I asked for two additional courses, and they were mapped in less than a week!

I used the app the day after I downloaded it, finding it easy, fast and accurate. All of the bunkers, hazards, everything - mapped and accurate.

The app used about 20% of my battery for 18 holes.

It does more than my Golf Caddie did.

Support is brilliant.

Why would I buy a stand alone GPS?

20 percent battery loss is solid. There had been some horror stories about apps draining much more than that and I think that's a large reason why people went away from them.

I agree with Mike. 20% battery loss is really good, my first thought when I saw the thread title was about battery life. I've tried a few on my Android phone and they just suck the life right out of it. If apps and newer phones give battery loss in the 20% range over the course of 18 holes, then I'd agree that GPS units might start taking a hit.

I've used this app a dozen times now on my iPhone 5S, and 20% is about the drop each time.

The app is designed so you hit the device off button on top after each use, then as soon as you unlock the phone - on the 5S this is simply by touching the home button with my scanned thumb print - it opens, connects, gives you yardage in seconds.

I immediately shut it off again when I drop it back in my pocket...

I have the iphone 5 (not the newest one) and use about 20 something percent during the round. I compare mine all the time to the guy I play with who has the Callaway unit and another guy in the group has a portable golflogix one and they are always within a yard of each other. I personally couldn't see ever buying a stand alone unit.

I use golf shot, and on an I phone 3(I think it was), it would use most of the battery up. On an I phone 4, it uses well less than half. You can listen to pandora and use golf shot at the same time no problem.
To answer the question. I do think the gps will update a little quicker and possibly be slightly more accurate than my phone ap. I have had times where my phone ap will be close to 5 yards different than the plate on the ground, but most of the time it's 2 or 3 yards difference or less. Also, if I pull up to the ball, it sometimes takes it 4 or 5 seconds to update since I generally put the screen to sleep after getting the previous yardage, or if not it will put itself to sleep between shots generally, so it takes it just a few seconds to find itself again, where a gps stays on and updates within a second generally.
That being said, I track all my rounds in the ap, and find that very helpful, so I can deal with the small issues above. It also gives yard ages to front, back, trouble and stuff like that, which is helpful.
20-25% battery life usage is about what I see with no music an a 4 hour round.

I remember when the handheld GPS first came out, I really wanted one. However it was just not affordable for me, especially during college. I downloaded the Golf Logix app last year and paid for the Championship membership. I really loved the app and the membership. I didn't see that much of a significant loss of battery, but I will say if you only loss 20% that is pretty solid.

I ponder the same question as to why anyone would buy a device when virtually 95% of Americans have smart phones and could download the app for free. I can see those who suffer from the huge battery loss might not enjoy it. The introduction of portable battery packs I feel is a great solution.

Something that I would like to test out though is a comparison of the Golf Logix App versus a Bushnell Ranger Finder and see how they stack up against one another. I have been thinking of picking one up but if there is not a whole lot of difference then I wont bother.

I'm very surprised with the 20%, especially with an iPhone. I can usually barely make it to lunch if I'm busy on my phone without using any kind of GPS.

I've used them in the past and got away from for a few reasons but mainly because of it killing my battery. The other is I found them not to be as accurate as an actual GPS. I now use a range finder because I got sick of guessing my yardages to the pin, unless you have a pin sheet you're shooting in the dark. It's always nice to know the front and back yardages but I'm usually a guy who plays a pin number and adjusts from there

Unit against phone, I don't see a lot of point in maintaining two devices, but for me, convenience of watch wins every time even if slightly less info.

convenience of watch wins every time even if slightly less info.

Agreed. I like to leave the phone in the bag and the less junk I have in my pockets the better.

I use am app called GolfSites on my iphone. It uses satellite imagery of each hole and will track performance of each club, stats (fairways, GIR, putts, etc...). Interface is easy, generally 2 clicks per shot - identify where you are (fairway, rough right, rough left, sand...) and what club you are about to hit. That's it.
I turn off the display between shots to conserve battery. Generally see about 20-25% battery usage during a round. More if I'm giving distance info to others in my group.
The app cost me $9.99 and came with 5 course downloads. Other courses downloads can be purchased for $1 each. I've used this app in US, Ireland and Scotland. Works well.

For me it comes down to the fact that I love my Golf Buddy and don't like the apps so much. This and the fact that the apps were a huge battery drainer, at least at one time. I'll stick with my GPS for now but I might change my mind when it comes time for a new GPS.

I use an ESN GPS watch (like the garmin) over my Iphone5 app because it is so much faster to get the information. Wake the phone, unlock the phone, find the app, launch the app, find the info vs. one quick glance.

I use an ESN GPS watch (like the garmin) over my Iphone5 app because it is so much faster to get the information. Wake the phone, unlock the phone, find the app, launch the app, find the info vs. one quick glance.

Though I'm sure the watch is faster, you over state the phone process pretty dramatically.

Once the app is running, you simply turn off the screen, then wake the phone and you are back in the app and showing the data.

I have a FrankenBattery so battery life is not an issue ever, but I still prefer a standalone GPS. My GolfLogix is shockproof and waterproof.

Though I'm sure the watch is faster, you over state the phone process pretty dramatically.

Once the app is running, you simply turn off the screen, then wake the phone and you are back in the app and showing the data.

Ya no kidding, I just open my phone and its running. I never have to go thru all those other steps excpt for the initial start up

I just used a Garmin S2 for the first time this weekend, and putting that up against my cell phone app with satellite views, the S2 still wins. Sure, you can get a lot of info from an app, but the dedicated GPS was easier and quicker. My phone GPS always seems to lose signal, but the Garmin hasn't had that issue at all. I see it as a jack of all trades, master of none sort of thing.

I really liked the Golf Logix app too but stopped using it because it seemed to bog down sometimes and almost fall behind.
I'd have to wait for it to calculate yardage. Might have been my cell provider though.

I purchased a Golf Caddie GPS a few years ago. I loved it. Knowing the distances to hazards, end of fairways, green quadrants, etc, made me a much better, faster player.

I laid off golf for a few years as my job moved me from the US to Malaysia, and golf was really not on the list for a while.

I started playing again this year, and was going to have my GPS mailed to me, but found that I would have to map my own courses as none of the tracks I played were mapped. It was time to start shopping for a new GPS or switch to a rangefinder, or something.

In desperation I downloaded Golf Logix on my iPhone, and found half the courses I play mapped already. I asked for two additional courses, and they were mapped in less than a week!

I used the app the day after I downloaded it, finding it easy, fast and accurate. All of the bunkers, hazards, everything - mapped and accurate.

The app used about 20% of my battery for 18 holes.

It does more than my Golf Caddie did.

Support is brilliant.

Why would I buy a stand alone GPS?

Once upon a time, the GolfLogix app was an absolute battery hog. It would drain 90% of my fully charged phone. Last year, they updated the software and it is now what you describe...about 20% or so ever since. The app works great and I don't see a need for a stand alone GPS.

One thing to consider is you may be able to use a GPS type device in a tournament, but you cannot use an App on a phone. May not be important to some, but could prevent a DQ for someone.

One thing to consider is you may be able to use a GPS type device in a tournament, but you cannot use an App on a phone. May not be important to some, but could prevent a DQ for someone.

Can you quote the 2014 rule for this please? I believe you are mistaken.

Can you quote the 2014 rule for this please? I believe you are mistaken.

Yep, the rule has changed.

Decisions_on_Rules_of_Golf_Info_Graphic-1.jpg

http://www.asga.org/public/userfiles/News/Decisions_on_Rules_of_Golf_Info_Graphic-1.jpg

For me I already own a GPS unit and when I am on the golf course the last thing I want to do is be looking at my phone. I am there to golf not answer texts or see who tried to call me. I really like being able to toss my phone in my golf bag and not be bothered by it, I wish some of the people I played with felt the same way.

For me data service on some of the courses I play is sketchy and the apps are sluggish at times.

I will be switching to a watch here soon

Back