Ran into some issues reshafting

Definitely not the thread I wanted to come across tonight. Well I hope all goes well Mike and I guess by the time I get started you will be a pro.

I only remove steel and always use a torch. The ferrel often sucks it up but, after the telling "puff of smoke" indicating the epoxy has given up, the shaft comes out easily. I find the shaft spine and re-install the shaft with the spine aligned. I don't do graphite, don't have the come-long or heat gun.

The swing weight deli a is easily solved by doing ONE club. If you have access to a shop that will put it on a swing weight scale for you, you can swing weight the new Five iron. If you know the original 5 iron swing weight, you will learn quickly if you are close. Remember that swing weight is affected by length of shaft and such. That's why you want to go with a totally finished club cut BUTT Cut to your length and grip installed

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here.

Swingweight needs to be measured and matched in all clubs. The weight difference from spec for heads and shafts means tip weights will be different for each club.

Use a split grip so the grip weight is the same for each club during the process. Grip weight does not impact shaft flex - which is what swingweight is fine tuning for you.

Sorry bro. This is my fear and why I wouldn't attempt this myself. I'd make a mess of things haha. Hope you get it figured out!

Thanks for all of the insight everyone. Going to focus on getting the tools necessary today to at least get all the shafts pulled and weights out of heads etc today.

Might pass on doing the reshafting this go around as these are kinda time sensitive and I really want to do it properly and don't wanna eff up the swing weight portion as it's sounding more and more critical.

Am curious though during the reshafting process how do you go about setting the weights at install? Fill the shaft tip with epoxy and just kinda wedge it in there?

Thanks for all of the insight everyone. Going to focus on getting the tools necessary today to at least get all the shafts pulled and weights out of heads etc today.

Might pass on doing the reshafting this go around as these are kinda time sensitive and I really want to do it properly and don't wanna eff up the swing weight portion as it's sounding more and more critical.

Good luck bro. Thanks again for sharing this. I have some shafts lying around and was considering playing with them. No chance till I have serious time to research and do it for me.

The two Apex sets I reshafted had larger headweight variances than their cast irons usually do which makes the tip weights very important. It looks like you have two challenges in reference to swingweight if you are someone concerned with it. First with a shaft and grip change, you will have a hard time hitting a target swingweight (let's say D2) without a good swingweight scale. Second, and Tim alluded to this previously, you also will be hard-pressed to match the SW between clubs without a scale.

The two Apex sets I reshafted had larger headweight variances than their cast irons usually do which makes the tip weights very important. It looks like you have two challenges in reference to swingweight if you are someone concerned with it. First with a shaft and grip change, you will have a hard time hitting a target swingweight (let's say D2) without a good swingweight scale. Second, and Tim alluded to this previously, you also will be hard-pressed to match the SW between clubs without a scale.

Ok thanks, not changing the grips on any of these so my problem isn't quite as bad as I thought, but I definitely don't want to mess things up long term with any of these sets. Probably will just work on the shaft removals for all the sets and then just send them to someone who knows what they are doing for the reinstall

Am curious though during the reshafting process how do you go about setting the weights at install? Fill the shaft tip with epoxy and just kinda wedge it in there?

You could do that, or just roll the sides of the weight in epoxy and insert, then continue the reshaft like normal.

You could do that, or just roll the sides of the weight in epoxy and insert, then continue the reshaft like normal.

Into the heads? Help me with this thought process. If I salvaged all the weights and swap out shafts between 4 sets would the weights in theory follow the shafts they came in originally or the heads? Or neither cause the new setup would probably change the weights needed

Weights are used to adjust the swingweight based on the head weight, shaft weight, and playing length. You can weigh these things and use a calculator to get close, however a swingweight scale is needed to be accurate. Free swingweight calculators can be located with a little googling.

Weights are used to adjust the swingweight based on the head weight, shaft weight, and playing length. You can weigh these things and use a calculator to get close, however a swingweight scale is needed to be accurate. Free swingweight calculators can be located with a little googling.

Thanks for the insight. I suppose I'll focus on getting everything disassembled and decide the plan of attack from there. No interest or desire to buy one of those crazy expensive scales though that's for sure.

Thanks for the insight. I suppose I'll focus on getting everything disassembled and decide the plan of attack from there. No interest or desire to buy one of those crazy expensive scales though that's for sure.

The swingweight scale is like $40 on golfworks

Yea for that price they should do them for you. What SW do you like your irons at?

Yea for that price they should do them for you. What SW do you like your irons at?

Haha I have no idea. ..never looked into it or tinkered at all. Sent you a pm

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here.

Swingweight needs to be measured and matched in all clubs. The weight difference from spec for heads and shafts means tip weights will be different for each club.

Use a split grip so the grip weight is the same for each club during the process. Grip weight does not impact shaft flex - which is what swingweight is fine tuning for you.

All very good points. My experience though in the sets I have done is that they are very close and thus weigh the same. I did Titelist AP1's and Hogan Apex and most recently Bridgestone J40DPC. At the very worst, I would use the corresponding swing weight that was with each shaft for consistency. That is to say if SW A came out of the 7 iron, it would then go back into the new 7 Iron. Does that answer your question?

JM

Ran into some issues reshafting

You can certainly take the approach of replacing the weights in each head that came out of the shaft for that head. That is better than nothing, and nothing will be randomly bad...

That approach does not take shaft weight variance into account however, but this will likely only result in 1 or 2 SW points difference in any case.

I've reshafted literally thousands of clubs, and seen every combination you might imagine. I do tend to get a little picky sometimes when it comes to matching shaft flex and feel.

You can certainly take the approach of replacing the weights in each head that came out of the shaft for that head. That is better than nothing, and nothing will be randomly bad...

That approach does not take shaft weight variance into account however, but this will likely only result in 1 or 2 SW points difference in any case.

I've reshafted literally thousands of clubs, and seen every combination you might imagine. I do tend to get a little picky sometimes when it comes to matching shaft flex and feel.

LOL, I see what you mean. I'm just not that picky I guess. :alien:

You taught me something today, so thank you.

JM

Into the heads? Help me with this thought process. If I salvaged all the weights and swap out shafts between 4 sets would the weights in theory follow the shafts they came in originally or the heads? Or neither cause the new setup would probably change the weights needed

Does this help Mike?

Does this help Mike?

Gotcha...at install of the weight do you put epoxy on inside of the shaft and then around the weight itself too and then slide it in?

Have done it both ways buddy. I generally look for a snug enough fit to just slide it in. When you pulled them, there was probably some old residue on them. That's usually enough for a good snug fit for me. All you are really looking for is enough of a hold so that it doesn't fall out while you are placing the shaft. Gluing and setting the shaft will take care of the rest later.

JM

Back