Project (A) review

JimB

Reaction score
Handicap
All,

TaylorMade sent me a sleeve of Project (A)s as part of that 20,000 sleeve promotional activity. I can sum up the experience of playing the ball in one word--WOW! This ball is a winner. I played this morning in 40 degree weather at my home course in Lawrenceburg. Shot 37 for nine holes with four one-putt greens and one no-putt green. Simply put, I have never seen a ball go into immediate top spin off a putter face before this one. I was using my Odyssey White Hot 9 putter (my Never Compromise is being regripped) and the difference in roll was amazing. Made a 27 footer on one hole and it was like the ball had radar. It was as advertised with more spin and more responsiveness around the greens. My first couple of drives went left (definitely more operator error than ball) the but I nearly drove a short par 4 after getting warmed up and I hit 5 of 7 fairways and 5 of 9 greens in regulation. The ball averaged about 8 yards more in distance as compared to the Srixon Q-Star that I normally play. I will make this ball available for my high school team to use in the coming season. Now if I can only convince them to send me one of those Speed Blade 6 irons (graphite senior flex) to play around with, who knows a conversion might be in order. What do you say, TaylorMade? Many thanks for the chance to play this excellent ball!

Sincerely,
Jim

I did not receive a free sleeve, but was intrigued by it so I bought a sleeve earlier this week. On Friday after work I was able to get about 13 holes in and I love this ball. Everything about this ball. Distance off the tee, wedges, putting. It was like this ball was made for me. I'm impressed.

I went that night and picked up a dozen. It might just kick the Callaway chrome out of my bag. I'm about to tee off in a few and I plan to play this ball again.

So far this has been the best new ball offering of the year for my game. So far I have tried the supersoft and x2 hot from Callaway and the B-330rx from Bridgestone.

I was reluctant to try the ball because I wondered if it even had a chance against my normal gamer, the Lethal. My driver swing speed is above 100 mph and I'm a high spin player. I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised. The project (a) is a solid ball. It checks up nicely around the green but it gives me a little run out that I have been missing in my short game. Full shot spin is very similar to the Lethal. But where the ball shines is on the green. It putts so nice and soft. I felt like the ball got rolling quickly. The cover held up great and I could definitely play the same ball another round. I'll probably play this ball through the next couple of months or at least until I go through the dozen.

Agree with the above. Didn't get picked for the free sleeves but used the $10 off coupon and ordered a dozen. Put them in play yesterday and today and am very impressed with the ball. Used the same ball for 27 holes and can still use it for the next round and that included bouncing off a few trees and a cart path over the last 2 days, very durable. Distance wise it is similar to other balls I play, but feels better off the putter. Spin onto the greens has been very good. I'll probably still use the Gamer for my everyday ball just for the price difference, but will definitely be using this ball for other rounds.

I rolled these on a practice green yesterday since I still have a sore shoulder. I was very impressed with how they performed there along with chips. I think these will be kicking the Lethal out of the bag...now gotta stock up!

All,

TaylorMade sent me a sleeve of Project (A)s as part of that 20,000 sleeve promotional activity. I can sum up the experience of playing the ball in one word--WOW! This ball is a winner. I played this morning in 40 degree weather at my home course in Lawrenceburg. Shot 37 for nine holes with four one-putt greens and one no-putt green. Simply put, I have never seen a ball go into immediate top spin off a putter face before this one. I was using my Odyssey White Hot 9 putter (my Never Compromise is being regripped) and the difference in roll was amazing. Made a 27 footer on one hole and it was like the ball had radar. It was as advertised with more spin and more responsiveness around the greens. My first couple of drives went left (definitely more operator error than ball) the but I nearly drove a short par 4 after getting warmed up and I hit 5 of 7 fairways and 5 of 9 greens in regulation. The ball averaged about 8 yards more in distance as compared to the Srixon Q-Star that I normally play. I will make this ball available for my high school team to use in the coming season. Now if I can only convince them to send me one of those Speed Blade 6 irons (graphite senior flex) to play around with, who knows a conversion might be in order. What do you say, TaylorMade? Many thanks for the chance to play this excellent ball!

Sincerely,
Jim
Jim, are u signed-up on TM "Golf Team Products"? Sign-up at www.golfteamproducts.com and you can get equipment, apparel, accessories, etc for cheap for the team! Great resource for teams!!!

I am signed up for the site and we plan to make use of it next season. Thanks for the suggestion. Sounds like you do something down there in LA. Good luck with your efforts.

JimB

I also played this ball for 3 rounds and really liked it. It's very close to the Lethal in many ways, just slightly shorter for me. It's a great ball in the $30/doz price range and IMO beats out the competition in that range.

Really enjoying the feedback on this one, excited to put this into play. Nice stuff guys!

Have played this ball for two rounds so far. The cover is very durable even after hitting a tree fairly hard the cover was still playable. I am finding that the ball is as straight and long as the E6. I am not seeing as much roll out with this ball as I was with an E6 but still not able to hop and stop the ball. This is a technique problem not a ball problem. Putting is where this ball really shines for me. The ball feels soft off the putter where the E6 was hard.

Thanks for the review. I can't wait to get my sleeve in hand and give them a try, I simulator tee time this Saturday so I hope I have them before that. I also hope I'm one of the lucky reviewers for THP as well.

Have any of you who have played the (a) also played the Cally sr2 yet and compare the two? Love the sr2 so far but if they are similar or equals I'll switch for the extra $15/doz is save.

Here is my review I posted in the othe project a thread a couple of weeks ago.

Put this ball in play today and was really impressed with it. The feel off the driver was better than the RBZu. Distance was about the same maybe a bit longer. Hard to tell without side by side comparison. The spin off the driver was about the same but where the Project A ball excelled was in the spin off the irons and the wedges. I still had a little bit of roll out on the 40yd and in shots but not as much as the RBZu. On full wedges and irons I was getting the ball to hop and stop on a regular basis. This ball felt great off the putter. It had a soft muted sound and wasnt clicky at all. The cover holds up alot better than other urethane balls I have played. I played the same ball through 15 holes and the cover had very little scuff marks. If i see the same results in my next round, this will definitely be my new gamer.

I am really excited to try this ball!

I received my sleeve from TaylorMade this afternoon. Will put them in play this weekend in Dallas

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glad to see so many positive comments. I've been working my way through a box over the past few weeks and I'm really impressed by this ball. I've been alternating between the SR2 and the Project(a) and if forced to choose I'd go long on the Project(a) at this point.

Glad to see so many positive comments. I've been working my way through a box over the past few weeks and I'm really impressed by this ball. I've been alternating between the SR2 and the Project(a) and if forced to choose I'd go long on the Project(a) at this point.

What gives it the edge?

What gives it the edge?

More me, spin off all my irons and wedges, real drop and stop performance. At the moment our greens are pretty darn dry and windswept so they are lightening quick, this ball is performing well on dangerous greens.

Better stopping power than the SR2? Wow. I thought the sr2 stopped on a dime.

Got my sleeve from TM in the mail today. Look forward to trying them next weekend.

Here is my review
First a little about my game I am a 9-10 HCP my driver swing speed is 105-110mph i am a high ball and high spin player normal spinning the ball is not something that i struggle
my normal Ball is
Lethal most of the year RBZ Urethane during the winter
For this test i played with all three balls one round was at an fairly easy course i have played before the other was at a very difficult hilly course plus i had several practice sessions chipping and putting

Driver
1.Lethal
2. RBZ Urethane
3. Project (a)
The lethal was the best for me it was longer and straighter than either of the others the RBZ Urethane spun bait less of the driver and had a slightly lower flight The Project (a) differences between the RBZU and (a) was only a few yards while the lethal was 10 yards

Fairway woods/Hybrids/ Long Irons
1. Lethal
2. RBZ U
3. (a)
There did not seem to be that big of a a difference the lethal was slightly lower spin and a bit longer not really that big

Short Irons/Full Wedges
1. Lethal
2. RBZ U
3. (a)
I have more control with both the Lethal and RBZ U nice mid ball flight enough spin to hold the green the (a) was too spinny for my I lost about 10yards per shot plus any slight miss was amplify additional the (a) ballooned a few times on me

Pitching/Chipping
1.(a)
2. Lethal
3. RBZ U
Around the green the Project (a) shinned it was easy to get to stop on a dime could get it to check easily The Lethal was second best not quite as much spin

Putting
1.(a)
2. Lethal
3. RBZ U
The Project (a) was the clear winner soft off the putter nice true tracking held its line the feel was the best of any ball i have tried i can't say enough about the feel off the putter i love it

Wind

1. Lethal
2. RBZ U
3. (a)
The project (a) was a horrible wind ball ballooned and seemed to get held up and was move about to the point during one round the wind picked up over the last three holes and i put the ball away because of how the ball preformed

Durability

All three were very similar there was some discoloration and small scrapes after a few holes but no different from last years TM balls which i felt were very good for a Urethane covered ball

Overall

1. Lethal
2. RBZ U
3. (a)
I liked the (a) close in and on the green but was not the ball for me from the tee or the fairway i am not the target demo for this ball for someone who spins it less it would be a very good ball it just spun so much for me that i was losing distance

I used this ball yesterday and played very well with it. The course was quite muddy and soft and the greens were bumpy and shaggy, so not the best conditions to judge a ball in but here goes.

Pros:
Awesome ball off the driver - feels soft and solid at the same time, workable without getting crazy.
Felt nice off the putter
Seems pretty durable for a urethane cover - I bounced it off the cart path twice and only have one minor scuff on it.

Cons:
Iron spin - I just couldn't seem to get this ball to drop and sit off my irons like the Z-stars do. They would drop and release quite a bit which I don't really like.
Wedge spin - I was expecting the performance around the green to rival that of the premium Tour level balls, but it just doesn't. This is probably a case of having the wrong expectations going in more than a lack of performance. It definitely has more bite than a Q-star or NXT Tour but falls short if you are used to a Z-Star or ProV1.

I will use this ball until my sleeve is lost but I'm unsure if I will buy more. With the Z-stars being the same price, the value just isn't here to me.

Have any of you who have played the (a) also played the Cally sr2 yet and compare the two? Love the sr2 so far but if they are similar or equals I'll switch for the extra $15/doz is save.

I just saw this comment but I've alternated the project (a) and the SR2 and they are very similar in all regards. I've give the SR2 a slight edge on greenside checking, which for me, puts it identical to the Lethal. I impart a lot of spin greenside but I'm not very aggressive greenside. Not a good combination. The project (a) gives me just enough check and roll to get it a little closer to the hole without having to alter my greenside game.

I got one of the free sleeves a while back, but just put them in play yesterday, because I was focused on testing the B330RX for the last month or so. I was really expecting to like this ball based on what I've read from others, but I did not seem to click with it at all. Off the tee, I saw more side spin than normal and lower distance than what I usually game. I get the side spin trade-off with greenside spin, but wasn't expecting to see my distances shortened as much as they were. Aside from not loving it off the tee, I really enjoyed the ball on approaches and putting. I hit some mid and short irons onto greens yesterday and the ball stopped very nicely. Even had a 3/4 swing PW out of light rough that stopped really quickly. The ball feels very nice off the putter, as others have mentioned. I don't see myself gaming it, though, because I have other options that are close on short game performance that work much better for me off the tee. All in all, not a bad offering, though.

Here is my review
First a little about my game I am a 9-10 HCP my driver swing speed is 105-110mph i am a high ball and high spin player normal spinning the ball is not something that i struggle
my normal Ball is
Lethal most of the year RBZ Urethane during the winter
For this test i played with all three balls one round was at an fairly easy course i have played before the other was at a very difficult hilly course plus i had several practice sessions chipping and putting

Driver
1.Lethal
2. RBZ Urethane
3. Project (a)
The lethal was the best for me it was longer and straighter than either of the others the RBZ Urethane spun bait less of the driver and had a slightly lower flight The Project (a) differences between the RBZU and (a) was only a few yards while the lethal was 10 yards

Fairway woods/Hybrids/ Long Irons
1. Lethal
2. RBZ U
3. (a)
There did not seem to be that big of a a difference the lethal was slightly lower spin and a bit longer not really that big

Short Irons/Full Wedges
1. Lethal
2. RBZ U
3. (a)
I have more control with both the Lethal and RBZ U nice mid ball flight enough spin to hold the green the (a) was too spinny for my I lost about 10yards per shot plus any slight miss was amplify additional the (a) ballooned a few times on me

Pitching/Chipping
1.(a)
2. Lethal
3. RBZ U
Around the green the Project (a) shinned it was easy to get to stop on a dime could get it to check easily The Lethal was second best not quite as much spin

Putting
1.(a)
2. Lethal
3. RBZ U
The Project (a) was the clear winner soft off the putter nice true tracking held its line the feel was the best of any ball i have tried i can't say enough about the feel off the putter i love it

Wind

1. Lethal
2. RBZ U
3. (a)
The project (a) was a horrible wind ball ballooned and seemed to get held up and was move about to the point during one round the wind picked up over the last three holes and i put the ball away because of how the ball preformed

Durability

All three were very similar there was some discoloration and small scrapes after a few holes but no different from last years TM balls which i felt were very good for a Urethane covered ball

Overall

1. Lethal
2. RBZ U
3. (a)
I liked the (a) close in and on the green but was not the ball for me from the tee or the fairway i am not the target demo for this ball for someone who spins it less it would be a very good ball it just spun so much for me that i was losing distance

This is a great comparison! I was going to ask for a direct comparison to the Lethal (which I can't find really anywhere anymore) - have you ever used the Pro V1X? If so, how does it compare?

This is a great comparison! I was going to ask for a direct comparison to the Lethal (which I can't find really anywhere anymore) - have you ever used the Pro V1X? If so, how does it compare?

I find that there are very minor diffrences between the lethal and Pro V1x in preformance feel & duribility were the main diffrences the cover on the ProV1x is softer so it scars easier but spins more around the green the lethal spun enough around the green and cover held up longer

So the (a) and the ProV1x should feel very similar around the green but for me the ProV1x would be better from tee to green

Back