Planning a party for your wife

Erky

Reaction score
My wife's 40th birthday is coming up. She wants to have a party at our house, and it's my job to make it happen. Here's the catch:

My wife is a professional event planner for a Fortune 500 company. Before that, she was a wedding planner for Walt Disney World Fairy Tale Weddings, then was the corporate events director for another very large company, as well as working in various high end resorts as a conference manager, etc. I am intimidated by her standards. She threw me a spectacular 40th birthday party in November, and I need to return the favor. Where do I start? Is it acceptable to ask my wife to help plan her own party? Do I engage her mom, who is a whiz at this stuff too? Is that cheating? I am just horrible at this stuff, but I don't want to make her plan her own party. Help me, THP!

Definitely seek assistance. The mom is a perfect place to start.

Cut your losses and just move out into the garage now.

WOW, Erky, brother....In THIS situation, I would say it's OK to ask for help from her Mom. I'm sure your wife knows something's coming, and my guess is she understands your limitations, and knowledge compared to hers. At least I hope so for your sake. I wish I could help, but I'd be just as lost as you.
I would suggest that you take cues from YOUR 40th party, do a lot of similar things she did for you, but lean them towards HER likes, not yours. That's where I would start anyway. Can't go wrong copying a party she threw for you, just tailor some things towards her.

Keg of beer and order pizza!!!!

Being married this long I'm sure you know what your wife likes and doesn't like. The key here is to make it memorable and not try to out do her bc of her background. Seek help from her mom, but ultimately trust your gut.

get her to plan a "friends" party and just use all of ideas.

I have a wife with pretty exacting standards as well. The best advice I can offer, other than those already mentioned, especially making use of her mom, is be as structured as you can, plan early, and have a framework in place for what kind of party you want to throw her. Date and venue first, number of guests second, and as its a not a surprise, dont be afraid to consult with her on that. Also, I know it can be intimidating, but have faith in your knowledge of her and use that knowledge to create the framework. Once the framework is in place, set the details as best you can. At that point, when you are talking details, I would say its ok to consult your wife some on it. Not in the "heres what I have planned, what do you think" but the "would you prefer this, or this" as it a) lets her know how much effort you are putting in b) ensures you are tailoring it to her specifically and c) she can anticipate a fun party.

All that being said, provided that all the right people show up, you've picked a good location for it, and the food and drink are sufficient, it will be a good party as its really the people being there that will make it great for her, so don't worry about messing it up, just put the effort in, it will be fine.

Just throwing this out there some sort of slide show about her and your life together I have seen some really good ones done usually a big hit at the party can't hurt. The women always love this sort of thing . Maybe throw some funny things in as well???

Most definitely involve the mom. Hopefully the effort put forth will win you points.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Definitely get help from her mom.

Back