Have you reached your full potential

So you don't subscribe to the 'blind squirrel finds a nut' notion. What are you doing to improve upon those great shots?

Unfortunately, I have a subscription to this notion.

Back in high school (going on 10 years now), there was a week stretch where I felt and played like a tour pro. During that time, I broke the course record for nine holes by shooting a 32 and followed it up with a 33 the very next day on a separate course. I can still remember to this day what it felt like and can remember each and every shot. When I look back, the key for me then was FAIRWAYS and GREENS...and if the birdie putt dropped then it was a bonus. Unfortunately, life goes on and we all cant play 7 days a week, or even practice 3+ hours a day like it was playing on the high school golf team.

Hopefully I can get back to this one day!

Definitely have not reached my full potential. Short game and consistency will bring large dividends. Starting to see some work paying off, but much more work to be done.

Practicing the right things the right way will help me advance.

JM

If this question would have been asked in the fall of last year, I would have said yes.

After getting selected for the MC, I have tapped into a regime and feel that I can use to get where I want to be. I will say that due to limitations and past injury, I dont think my goals will be as lofty as they once were but I feel I can still make obtainable goals and be satisfied

I don't believe I have reached my full potential, and really not even close. I've shown the ability to have virtually any facet of the game I want to play working (basically anything but working the ball), just not at the same time. When I do that, then my full potential has been reached. It may take quite a few years to do that, but I'm up for it! Plus, I haven't had a single lesson and I know less than Freddie's forgets about golf and the swing.

I have not. Practice, lessons, and hopefully added consistency will show me what my potential is as a golfer in 2014.

No way, I know I have plenty of room to grow and develop.

I think the beauty of the game of golf is that you can never REALLY reach your full potential. It is a game of constant improvement in so many ways. I do not believe I have reached my full potential and use sites like THP, practice, and my local teaching professional to help be constantly improve.

I never really looked at my game with 'potential' in mind.. More or less I picked a number and tried to play to it, believing that I had the abilities to get there (which I get is potential to a point).

This will be an interesting year for me. I've reached my golf goals, now it's time to try and refine and improve in scores as well as other ways.

I know I have not. I think I have at least 10-12 strokes I can shave off my handicap, but I just don't have the free time to get there. Right now consistently in the 80's is the goal.

No, I know I haven't, not even close. I've played a lot of great golf in my life so far, and almost ALL of it came before my swing change. I know my swing NOW, is better than it ever was back then, so to have a chance to really practice on my swing and see where it can get me, is one of my goals.

I think mine is still in the getting better phase. Mainly because I know I can play smarter than I do!

Never! I'll admit that I've reached an age that my ability to improve the long game is starting to get away from me. I've got a long way to go to improve my short game. I've seen many folks older than I that could simply keep the ball in play, and then beat you to death with the short game.
I aspire to be that player, without losing too much distance.

Interesting question and one I have been thinking about a lot lately....I have been playing golf on and off for around 30yrs, mostly self taught, currently at a 7 index, I really think I am very close to maxing out my game where is stands today...I certainily will not get to the next level without instruction and fixing some fundemental flaws in my swing. I started with lessons and a commitment to practice with a purpose.

Not even close!

I think I reached my full potential in college. Once I quit for the long period of time and lost it, I don't think I will ever get it back. Mostly because with a family I don't think I will ever have the time i did back then

I've thought about this one for awhile, not so much about whether I've reach my potential (I haven't), but how I'd know if I did, and whether any amateur really reaches their potential. I read the OP right before I got in my car and drove to PT. For the record, I drive a mildly souped-up Mustang GT with a manual transmission. There's enough giddy up that, when you miss a shift or get in the gas too early, you definitely feel it. And because it was before 5 in the morning and I hadn't had my coffee and was a bit lazy, I felt it a couple of times. And because this thread was rattling around in my head I thought, "I'm always going to be improving at driving a manual transmission car." I consider myself a skillful amateur at driving. I've been fortunate enough to attend some courses and get in a fair amount of track time and learn some techniques that allow me to get around a course pretty quickly, as well as some evasive and interception driving techniques (getting away and catching people). I'm not a future race car driver. I'm not a future rally car driver or wheelman for a bank robbery ring. But so long as I'm aiming to, I can and will continue to improve at the art of driving. I'm always going to seek to improve. While my quantitative or professional limits may be reached, my ability to be self-satisfied with driving will never really be reached, while driving better is still a pleasant and enjoyable experience that motivates me to continue to enjoy driving and driving well.

What does this have to do with golf? To me, they have a lot of similarities. My quantitative limits have probably been reached in the sense that I'll never reach the point where I get paid to play golf, and I don't think I'll even reach the point where I'm taking down the club tournaments. In that sense, I've reached my golfing potential. But I can improve qualitatively. I can always hit better shots, I can move around the course better, I can view the course and play to what I've given better. I'm willing to take lessons to make that happen, put in the range work, change my mindset and how I look at a course or a shot to mitigate damage and maximize potential. For want of a better term, I can always play golf more beautifully. It's got objective and subjective qualities, in the sense that "beautiful" golf will result in a better score, but it will also, to my own view of how I play, have a pleasant nature that I enjoy about golf to begin with. Though I'll probably never reach a "beautiful" round of golf, the pursuit of it is its own reward.

This is probably a more philosophical answer than you were expecting.

I don't think I am even close. I know I have a lot more potential in me and now I am trying to find a way to unlock that potential.

Not sure when I will know when I am at the peak with no where to go but I am sure I will know when the time comes.

I believe I reached my potential about 2 years ago and have started the downhill trend from my peak, which I am ok with. Before I would practice everyday and went from a 25 down to a 5 in less than 4yrs, over the last 1.5 years I have slowly crept back up to a 11-12. However, I will call being a 11-12 very easy. I can go out and shoot 83-85 almost without trying on any course.

i alsolutely believe that i have NOT yet reached my full potential. inconsistencies in my game tells me there is a whole lot of room for improvement. i truly believe i can get down to scratch sooner or later. just need to put in the work and practice smart, and be dedicated to practicing

i think most have not reached their potential... but most never will due to limits on practice time coaching available and funds.

I am going to have to answer yes and no.

As of right now, I think I have reached my full potential because I don't have the time or desire to work on my game. I just enjoy going out and shooting bogey golf.

But I also feel that I have the potential to be a single digit handicap if I had the time to work on my short game. From 100 yards and in I waste so many shots.

No way, I still have a long way to go to reach the consistency I need. I've been taking lessons, and working on my game all winter long. Last year, I took the winter off, and swung a club very rarely, this winter I have hit balls at the dome, at the simulators, and in my garage, almost daily. Since this is only my 4th year playing, I still have a long way to go to reach my full potential, and I don't know that reality will ever equal potential.

THP #theking #imwithchad

I hope not! Don't even have an actual handicap yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really hope I haven't reached my full potential. I continue to improve slowly and I'm working on the parts of my game that need the most help. I would really like to be below a 5 handicap by this time next year.

Back