Have you reached your full potential

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
I am wondering if you feel you have reached your full potential as a player. If so, why? What is about your game that lends you to believe you can get better? Are you taking steps to reach your full potential?

If you have reached your peak, when did you know you? What are you doing to maintain? Are ok with the fact you are stuck with the game you have?

I sure hope not. I feel like I have a lot of room for improvement in all areas of the game. For me getting better means taking lessons, spending more time on the practice green and range and practicing the right way.

I don't think I have.

I have seen glimpses of what could be and hope someday with instruction and practice to be able to put it all together.

Barring injury...no. It's really hard to practice and play as much as I need to in order to improve. A 10 and 11 year old make that difficult but I'm OK with that. One day they may take up the game and I can't imagine how great it would be to play and practice with them. If not, when they become adults and build their own family then my calendar will open up a little to play/practice more.

Since I have started playing golf I always asked myself this question. I believe I will never reach my full potential. I think I will never know how good I could be because I always seem to be learning. If I think back to a few years ago when I thought I was playing well I could look at video now and say wow my swing was terrible. I think golf ios a sport where you never stop learning and you can always improve.

I don't think it's ever possible for an amateur golfer to reach a peak. There is always something that we can work on.

Absolutely not and I'm just beginning the journey to hopefully realize/gain some of my potential. Not to mention that less than a year ago I actually had a handicap 3 strokes lower than current - I know there is room for improvement.

I can honestly say I haven't reached my full potential. I have never taken lessons (scheduled to start next week) so the skies the limits. I feel these lessons will give me the foundation to build upon to better my game.

Good question FK. There comes a time when you reach diminishing returns physically. But if we continue to learn to play smarter and more efficiently with our games. Then there is room for improvement. Short game work can always use work. So I don't feel like I've reached my potential. I also recognize that it takes an investment of time to get there. Which for me is cool cause it's something I enjoy doing.

I believe I haven't. Mainly because I see glimpses of playing really good golf. Taking a few swings and swing decisions and improving them and my score can drop quickly. Still fairly healthy and fit so no reason not to become a better player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think it's ever possible for an amateur golfer to reach a peak. There is always something that we can work on.

Yeah I have to disagree. I have seen 1000s of swings in my life time and done just don't have the aptitude for golf.

Yeah I have to disagree. I have seen 1000s of swings in my life time and done just don't have the aptitude for golf.

I never look at it that way. Good point.

God, I hope not!! I am still horrible and if I am as good as I am going to get it is time to sell the sticks.

No way. It will take lessons and hard work but with the right help and more practice, I am sure I can take my game to the next level.

I know I have a lot of room for improvement. I feel like when I hit those great shots, that is my full potential. Until I can replicate those great shots 90% (I guess) of the time, I will continue trying to improve. I know I have those shots in my game, but being able to consistently hit them is what is keeping me from my full potential.

My personal best is a 73, shot about 7 years ago. Last year, I shot 73 five times. I'd say that's a sign that I'm getting ready to bust through. Gotta keep working on my driver.

Debated this one in my head more than a few times, usually when things aren't going as well as I'd like. I always wonder if there's just a point where you've maxed out everything you can possibly bring to the table.

However, I choose to believe that I have a lot of room to improve and can make those improvements if I work hard enough and smart enough. Short term, I think if I can even improve my full swing by a medium margin that my short game and putting will combine with it to make me a pretty decent golfer. Long term, I think improved fitness, instruction, and work can improve my swing to the point that I consider it good.

At a low point I actually remembered something you said Freddie, which was basically that I had to have really good hand/eye coordination to hit the ball with the move I was putting on it, which was actually a motivator. It told me that I have at least some physical ability lol. Now I just need to learn how to use it better.

Never satisfied. Really working hard in my lessons on hip turn and then getting the hips started first. Feels so unnatural to me. Really struggled this last lesson. Right when I thought I was getting a lot better, I go in for a lesson and one new move has thrown a wrench in things. I know I have a lot of room for improvement in many areas. Just have to put in the work.

I certainly have not reached any. I think one may feel they would realize the amount of play and practice they put into it would allow them to be perhaps content at a certain level while still not believeng they have reached full potential but two different things i guess. But I have not reached either one of those stages yet.

No I don't think I'm even close reaching it. I've seen glimpses of how well I can play and believe I can do it consistently and even better.

I'm taking a ton of lessons and working my butt off in between to improve my swing make it more consistent so that I have better and more consistent results. I will spend more time this year working on my game than ever before to see where I can push myself to as a player.

I hope not. I know it's harder for me to learn things as I get older, "old dog, new tricks" and all but I like to think I can still improve some.

Certainly have not. I see too many glimpses of what could be to say this is as good as it well ever get.
I can hit the shot I'm trying to hit sometimes but if I can do it once, I can do it again. If I can do it twice, I can do it a third and so forth.

My personal best is a 73, shot about 7 years ago. Last year, I shot 73 five times. I'd say that's a sign that I'm getting ready to bust through. Gotta keep working on my driver.

So what did you differently to shoot those (5) 73s?

I think reaching one's potential is getting the most out of what you are capable of doing at a particular moment in time. My potential at 20 was different than at 30, 40, 50, 60, etc... Right now I am not getting the most out of my potential, but I'm OK with it. The price I'd have to pay in extra practice time would cut into other activities that I enjoy in my retirement years.

Certainly have not. I see too many glimpses of what could be to say this is as good as it well ever get.
I can hit the shot I'm trying to hit sometimes but if I can do it once, I can do it again. If I can do it twice, I can do it a third and so forth.

So you don't subscribe to the 'blind squirrel finds a nut' notion. What are you doing to improve upon those great shots?

Back