How Far Can Shaft Technology Go?

Golds

Reaction score
Handicap
NY Winter
With all the "ground breaking" designs we see come out for drivers and irons (speed pockets, different metals, thinner faces, going to the extremes of the USGA rules), how far can shaft technology go in the future that could be potentially "ground breaking." Obviously there has been an evolution in shaft design, but what is in the future?

Good question. Probably don't have the technical knowledge to really give a great answer, but if things remain the direction they've been going I think shafts will continue to evolve quite a bit. I think the biggest place companies could make an impact would be figuring out a way to take some of the mystery out shafts for the average guy.

Good question. Probably don't have the technical knowledge to really give a great answer, but if things remain the direction they've been going I think shafts will continue to evolve quite a bit. I think the biggest place companies could make an impact would be figuring out a way to take some of the mystery out shafts for the average guy.

I agree with more knowledge for the average player, I could also see based on history that some type of new material being introduced.

I think refinements to manufacturing processes and better materials are certainly things to consider too. As is swing modeling. The Velox line from Matrix is pretty high tech imo. They modeled shaft performance for various swing speeds and built shafts that performed better for each range. Also attempted to make selection a little easier.

I think it will depend on the changes that can be made to the manufacturing process. We are only a couple years into the 3D printer technology now. Give it another few years and let 3D printing evolve into more materials and it could be huge with golf shafts. I think you could have very customized bend patterns for each player since you don't need to create specific molds or dies that can cost money and take time.

I think refinements to manufacturing processes and better materials are certainly things to consider too. As is swing modeling. The Velox line from Matrix is pretty high tech imo. They modeled shaft performance for various swing speeds and built shafts that performed better for each range. Also attempted to make selection a little easier.

It seems like as more advanced the shaft design gets, the more niche-like it becomes. I don't see an average golfer going in and asking for a Matrix Velox to be fitted into his new driver. But what I can easily see is an avg player going in a retailer and buying the latest and greatest Driver. Which brings us back to more knowledge needing to be put out there for the avg person. I can honestly say I didn't really care about shafts until I joined THP, I knew they were important, but I never was considering getting fitted for one that can optimize my swing.

For many, the whole shaft business is a mystery they don't even know or care to open. They play with what they've got. But, for those who do care, the technology is a big deal. The manufacturers know it. I believe the next big step is going to be custom made shafts. Shafts that are made for the player, his swing with certain weight, bend profile, flex etc.

The shaft making technologies have come a long way, and I believe that soon, that can allow this to happen for a reasonable price.

For many, the whole shaft business is a mystery they don't even know or care to open. They play with what they've got. But, for those who do care, the technology is a big deal. The manufacturers know it. I believe the next big step is going to be custom made shafts. Shafts that are made for the player, his swing with certain weight, bend profile, flex etc.

The shaft making technologies have come a long way, and I believe that soon, that can allow this to happen for a reasonable price.

A Japanese shaft company is starting to do that this year. I forget which one but you have to go to them for a fitting and then they build the shaft for you from that data. Super Super expensive and I cant remember exactly what company it is.

I think the stock offerings will continue to be improved but until all store put stock in a quality fitting and having a good selection I dont see the shaft market growing much past what it is already. I think you will see more advancements in iron shafts than wood shafts at this point

A Japanese shaft company is starting to do that this year. I forget which one but you have to go to them for a fitting and then they build the shaft for you from that data. Super Super expensive and I cant remember exactly what company it is.

I think the stock offerings will continue to be improved but until all store put stock in a quality fitting and having a good selection I dont see the shaft market growing much past what it is already. I think you will see more advancements in iron shafts than wood shafts at this point

I agree, I think the next big push is in iron shafts as well. It'll be interesting to see where that market goes from here.

With all the "ground breaking" designs we see come out for drivers and irons (speed pockets, different metals, thinner faces, going to the extremes of the USGA rules), how far can shaft technology go in the future that could be potentially "ground breaking." Obviously there has been an evolution in shaft design, but what is in the future?

The C.O.R. limit with driver faces was reached a decade or more ago. Iron head and steel shaft technology has advanced very little since the Ping Eye 2 was introduced in 1982. In fact, 80% of all the strokes I take during a round are with a steel shafted club, so little scoring help can come from a slightly better graphite shafted driver or 3 wood. I hit my Taylor Made Tour preferred irons from 1980 with DGX100 only 2-4 yards shorter(probably because they are now too stiff) and no more crooked, than my 2012 irons with KBS Tour S flex shafts. Graphite shafts and driver/fairway head technology has come a long way but proper fitting is the key thing to maximizing distance and I doubt more than 5% of golfers have been fit properly for all of their clubs, including their putter. Many THPer's have been properly fit, but we are a strange group!

Ball technology has advanced leaps and bounds in the last 20 years. Drivers and fairway woods are amazingly more forgiving than they were 30 years ago, but haven't improved much in the last 5 years. IMO, the technology gains in driver and fairway wood heads will continue at at a snails pace over the next decade or two. Since I hit 80% of my shots with a steel shafted club, I don't expect any equipment improvements that will lower my index. 30 minutes a day of golf specific strength and flexibility exercises, however, will do wonders for my game.

Davis Love III was averaging 286.5 yards off the tee and 69.6% fairways hit in 1994 with a persimmon driver, 43.5" steel shaft and a much shorter golf ball(with a Pro V1 it would have been a 296+ yard average). Now the tour average is 288 yards with less than 69.6 accuracy. There is a lot of marketing hype, but it's still all about the Indian, not the arrow.

Last edited:
I think they will surprise us with shaft technology in the next decade. That said, I have no idea where they will go.

5 or 6 years ago nobody would have thought that a 40 gram shaft could be just as stiff as an 80 gram shaft and now that's old hat.

How Far Can Shaft Technology Go?

I have a dozen shaft designs in my resume, along with a pilot project for what could be a completely revolutionary shaft concept. The patents for the manufacturing technology for this shaft are held in another company in another industry, but they cooperated on a pilot. Whether it will ever result in a production shaft, I don't yet know.

The long and short of this means shaft designs will continue to evolve, technology and material changes will allow for completely different profile possibilities than we see today - not just a little stiffer here or a little softer there.

The real question is whether this will make it easier to hit more consistent shots or not.

Imagine if you might, a driver shaft that corrected your swing faults that today cause the shaft to react differently every swing. The shaft would keep your head square to the grip position at the impact position, regardless of whether you came over the top or from the inside. All this while still bending in equal amounts in any direction.

Yes it's possible. Yes it's currently legal under the rules of shaft design. Will that ever happen? It probably will.

No this is not my design, but it's certainly the next major evolution in design.

Imagine if you might, a driver shaft that corrected your swing faults that today cause the shaft to react differently every swing. The shaft would keep your head square to the grip position at the impact position, regardless of whether you came over the top or from the inside. All this while still bending in equal amounts in any direction.

Yes it's possible. Yes it's currently legal under the rules of shaft design.
I don't really know what exactly this means, but heck, I'll buy two of those.

Back