How Do You Play This Hole? 11 - Woodcrest Golf Course - Mayville, NY

FWIW, I like the hole. I like to see thinking man's courses and seeing a hole that could be played a number of different ways.

I agree. What I find funny is people dislike not being able to hit driver, yet I bet if we could look at stats and averages, if more amateurs left the driver in the bag on par 5's the scoring average would probably improve by a good bit.

Is this the hole?

59o61.jpg

Is this the hole?

59o61.jpg

Yes! hard to see the creeks, but that dark green around the edges of the hills is no mans land. That grass is grown up quite a bit.

I agree. What I find funny is people dislike not being able to hit driver, yet I bet if we could look at stats and averages, if more amateurs left the driver in the bag on par 5's the scoring average would probably improve by a good bit.

There is no way I am NOT hitting driver on this hole. Highly unlikely I am putting it anywhere near the end of the fairway (on a regular basis, anyway), and even more unlikely that the creek even thinks about coming into play.

Which tees are those distance from? Regular men's tees? Or are you just saying that no matter which tees you tee off from, to assume those are the yardages you will be facing?

I'm about 2 1/2 hours away, I'm going to have to come take a look for myself. :golf:

There is no way I am NOT hitting driver on this hole. Highly unlikely I am putting it anywhere near the end of the fairway (on a regular basis, anyway), and even more unlikely that the creek even thinks about coming into play.

Which tees are those distance from? Regular men's tees? Or are you just saying that no matter which tees you tee off from, to assume those are the yardages you will be facing?

Honestly, with the elevation increase, I could probably safely hit driver all day right along with you.

Plays way up hill so probably driver, whatever club gets me before the 2nd stream and 8i to the green.

Tapping away on my Galaxy 2 Note

This is easy.

Driver - 225 yards
6i - 160 yards
PW - 115 yards
LW - 85 yards
Putt
Putt
Routine Bogey

Make this hole tree lined the entire way, add mounding and sand along the fairway, add a little distance and substitute a lake for that first creek and elevation change, and we have #7 at my home course (and the fun doesn't stop for us there - 3 tier green with a big swale in the middle and sand on 2.5 sides). Brutal stupid hole. Here's what I do:

driver + pray (if drive isn't in the short stuff and out there toward the water we are dead)
hybrid
8i-ish

I like this hole imo. Even if my driver is working well that day at 260 to 280 I would probably land in the stream on the fly with my luck anyway. Looks like 5wood, 6iron, 7iron. Something like that. Of course they all have to be executed. lol but that's another story.

ojlbeo.jpg

I'm getting my distances based on the Google Earth ruler tool, which I've found to be pretty accurate. I didn't spot another tee box so I'm pretty sure the one I have marked with the white oval is the right one. From it to the other white oval just short of the 1st creek is 190-200 yds. The Google Earth ruler indicates it's about a 240 yard carry to clear the 1st creek, but it looks as though you'd have to hit a fade to keep it out of the trees on the left. The area between the trees at the 1st creek is only 40 yards wide, so I'd say going driver off the tee trying to clear the 1st creek is a very risky shot. I wouldn't try it.

Assuming I hit that 1st landing area off the tee I'm looking at about 130-140 to lay up short of the 2nd creek (2nd white oval). Hit that and I'm left with a 200 yard uphill shot to the green. The good news is that once you get past that 2nd creek the hole opens up, though it looks like that rough could be a pain to deal with. Unless I hit a really good 3rd shot I'm looking at an up-and-down for par.

My other option for my 2nd shot is to hit my 4 wood at the right edge of trees circled in red and try to cut it a little. If I hit it well it should leave me somewhere around the green oval; maybe a bit closer if the wind is out of the S or SW. If I hit it straight and don't pull it I should still be ok, likely just into the left rough a bit. I could very easily pull the shot into the trees circled in red (I don't think I could carry them; I'm assuming they're pretty tall). Without knowing much about them, this may not be a terrible spot to be in. It leaves about 130 yards or so uphill to the green and punching something that distance from the trees should be doable. I'm pretty comfortable with punch shots from the trees; I have to do it quite often at my home course. Worst case scenario with this shot is I block it right into that forest. I could be looking at double bogey if that happens.

4 hybrid, 4 hybrid, 60* onto green.

Thought hard about bout the elevation change taking away distance, probably adds another club so 4 hybrid could become 4 wood on the second shot.

Unless I can go driver and then have <210 yards to clear the rough around the second creek (depending on wind and elevation change), I go 5w or driving iron off the tee, and then hit what will leave me near the end of the 2nd fairway.

Driver into the woods or the creek. Pull another ball and go 3w,3w, 6i..take my double and run.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

3W, 5i, 7i if everything went as planned.

3 hybrid, 3 hybrid, 56 degree wedge, Ghost Spider for the bird !

I'm probably going Driver, 7 iron, 7 iron. Something to that nature.

7 wood
7 wood
PW

Every time I layup with my second shot on a hole like this I end up with such a poor result. If I thin my second 7 wood the ball will end up safe somewhere on the upslope.

Tough one for me if I am hitting my driver cleanly then I have no problem clearing the hazard. (by the turn my driver has either been shelved or is in full let er rip mode.
So if that is the case It looks like
Driver
3w
9i bump and run to green

IF for any reason I doubt the shot with driver it is
5w
3w
9i

From what I am seeing...it's 3W short of the first stream
7iron or 6 iron short of the second stream
then 8,9, or PW to the green depending on how far downhill it is and wind.

Looks like a beast of a hole. Kinda of reminds me of #8 at TangleRidge where we played the Texas Invitational last year....only it was playing into a 30 mph wind

Driver, hybrid to in front of the second stream and then a 7i/8i into the green. No way do I take a change and go for it.

Back