Do you gamble on the golf course?

captaincaution

@alekbabel -2022 Grandaddy!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Do you like to make things interesting and gamble on the golf course?

What are your boundaries when it comes to gambling, and what are your favorite games to play with more than pride on the line? Will you gamble with anyone, or do you keep it within your close group of friends or regulars?

So far, I've only wagered with a close friend of mine, and my future father-in-law. My buddy and I play a buck a hole, and a buck per stroke. Any ties carry like skins. With my future father-in-law, it was just a simple $1 Nassau.

Half the fun with my buddy is negotiating the strokes I get.

I gamble almost all the time on the course with my buddies. It's more like trading money, though, as all of us win and lose about the same amount of times.

We all throw a dollar down on every par 3 and play closest to the pin, but that's about it.

We might do skins for a couple of bucks, but none of my friends think they're good enough to gamble. $1 bills with THPers though.

Occasionally dollar closest to the pin on par threes or the two times my dad bet me $100 I couldn't make a certain shot that's it though.

Yeah, love to gamble on the course. It adds a tournament style competitive edge to the round. My weekly game is a $5 nassau for front, back, and total, with the ability to press any of the three games' remaining holes for another $5 per press.

It can add up if one of us has a stinker of a round but for the most part, we play really close and rarely give up more than $20.

sent without the boss's knowledge...

I used to play with my father and brother ... $1 par 3's, $2 birdies, $5 eagle and $1 per side & total but I had to give them strokes. They still got sick of always paying me so they quit playing for cash

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

The guys I played with last Tuesday asked if I wanted to get in on their little wager. It was only a dollar each and the winner picked up three bucks. I happened to shoot the lowest round and grabbed the prize :D. We use to have a bunch who bet every Saturday back home. Everybody had a few bets and you settled up when all was done. When I moved up here most of it is put a set amount in the pot and you win by the point/stableford system.

I travel to play with my close friends, so does my one buddy. We play for the open bed in the house. Loser has to sleep on the couch with lump in the middle. It gets serious.

Only with friends and relatives.
Yea, the stroke negotiation process is half the fun.

Yes. I play in a skins group on weekends and we often call $50 eagles and $100 hole in ones at the first tee. I've had to pay out on a few eagles and I've been paid a time or two. I know one weekend one of the guys in my group said "$500 hole in ones" and we all said ok. None of us were close that day so it was all well....

Nope, never have.

Nope, never have.

Same for me. I sure hate getting behind guys who are gambling and taking it way too serious. They spend forever on the greens.

I don't know if you'd consider it gambling, but my cousins and I will do highest score buys first round in the clubhouse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know if you'd consider it gambling, but my cousins and I will do highest score buys first round in the clubhouse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's still a wager in my book.

When I play with my 2 friends, the loser buys the first round. Then we each buy a round. That’s the closest I get to gambling.

Play a weekly scotch game for $1 a point. There have been some expensive rounds in there at 7 points available on each hole. It makes it a bit more fun.

Tapping away on my Galaxy 2 Note

Dollar a hole

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

I don't even know how to....

Seriously. I have no clue about nassaus or pressing or whatever. Looks like I need to go do some Googling!

sometimes we play $20 a man 2 v 2 & sometimes we play losers pay the cart guys $20 or $30 at the end, that one depends on where we played could be more at certain places

We play for quarters. Low score on the hole (use handicaps), bullet which is a putt that is longer than the flag. If more than one player makes a bullet then no winner. By the time we figure everything out at the end of the round, we are talking about winning or loosing a buck or two at the most.

Play a weekly scotch game for $1 a point. There have been some expensive rounds in there at 7 points available on each hole. It makes it a bit more fun.e

I'm not familiar with this game. Can you explain it?

Usually just for lunch or drinks afterwards. I wouldn't wagering a little something tho. The "posse" at my local country club plays a game called Vegas every Saturday and Sunday which can get crazy expensive.

Typically only $1 skins with a big group. Most get covered, but if you get one it's worth 11-15 bucks. Money goes into the beer pool...

Had a fun time taking some money off locals at an Orlando course during the PGA Merchandise Show several years ago.

I arrive with the reigning ladies long drive champion, to hook up with a local twosome on the first tee. They were in their 20s and good players. They see the old guy and the girl and decide to get us to bet with them.

We play best ball teams, $5 a hole, $5 individual closest to the pin, $5 individual skins, loser also buys lunch and beer after.

My partner says this sounds good... It's more than I ever bet, but I'm not going to back out.

The starter says "Your girl can hit. Her tees are up here." She looks at me and shakes her head. I say she will play from the same tees as the men, and no she can't hit yet.

We wait and finally the starter insists we go. The group is just to the green.

She steps up and drives it 300+ and it rolls onto the green at 325... Stops about 12 feet away. The group on the green claps...

The guys can't believe it, one hits his drive into the crap right, the other hooks it onto the driving range left. I hit a hybrid out to 225 and drop a wedge to 3 feet for my birdie. We win the hole with an Eagle on her 12 foot putt.

The boys win 2 holes and one closest to the pin all day. They kept swinging out of their shoes to try to keep up. She hit her drives into the junk on a few holes, but I played those very conservatively and we halved or won on my ball.

Had the lobster roll for lunch.

So....be careful who you bet against if you don't know them. Could be ringers :)

Played Bingo/Bango/Bongo once with my uncle and grandfather. Only bet a quarter for each point, but I know personally I played it like it was $25. I wanted to win. Liked that I could get into that mindset, but at the same time not have to worry about losing much if anything.

Back