How to PROPERLY repair a ball mark

thanks for posting this smallville :)

Bought my Greensaver 3 yrs. ago best product out there imo...
408889871.jpg

I always fix ball marks BUT if some starter wants me to walk to a green to show me how to do it he'd be alone and talking to himself. Also I don't need to be schooled on mark fixing by some stranger I've been paired with!
I didn't think I needed to be taught either. I was wrong. Most are. Glad to know you're not, that is great!

Say I always see people do it a different way. And question for everyone, why do they call it a divot tool if its to repair a ball mark and not a divot???
People who know the difference don't call it that. In fact, most golfers don't know the difference between a divot and a divot hole.
I know the difference. But it is an accepted term that, when used, people know what is being talked about. I don't care what they call it as long as they know how to use it!

And yep, most people call the hole left behind the divot when in fact the divot is somewhere down the fairway.

Maybe I'm odd but I feel that to have some guy I've been paired with to start giving me a lesson on how to use my repair tool before we even tee off is out of line. What I've done while paired up with a non-repairing guy is just to fix his marks and and mine quietly. I see no reason to be that guy that has to instruct people. I love the game and want every outing to be enjoyable. Just my thoughts on it.

Maybe I'm odd but I feel that to have some guy I've been paired with to start giving me a lesson on how to use my repair tool before we even tee off is out of line. What I've done while paired up with a non-repairing guy is just to fix his marks and and mine quietly. I see no reason to be that guy that has to instruct people. I love the game and want every outing to be enjoyable. Just my thoughts on it.
Everyone thinks they are repairing them correctly, but if you watch, my guess is at least 75% of them are doing it wrong. Probably a lot higher percentage than 75.

I played with a guy who has played my course for 50 years. I noticed he was doing it wrong, so I pointed it out and showed him how to do it right. He blew it off that round, but the next time we played together, he was doing it right. So while my 30 years of doing it wrong was bad, he was doing it wrong for 50!

Why would you want someone to do it wrong, when it kills that pot of the green when you can show them how to do it correctly? They might ignore you, but they might not. And at least they know now, and might start doing it right after the round with you.

Luckily, I don't care what people think, so I can show them how to do it and they can tell me to eff off and I don't care. But if even a few people start doing it right, the greens will look a lot better. Brown spots on greens are so avoidable, so why not educate people?

I've always repaired my pitch marks correctly, but then I use a Scotty Cameron repairer which is virtually impossible to use any way other than the correct way.

A little refresher training is always a good thing.

I guess I've always been repairing ball marks correctly, good to know.

Good stuff and helpful too. I learn this at a young age, but it's always good to have a refresher from time to time.

I love my Greensaver ! So far, the best of all ball mark repair tools.

Good video , I think I've been doing it right but I haven't so this is definitely a great video.

Using Tapatalk

Those green savers are awesome... Why am I having such a hard time finding one to buy? How are these not sold in every Golf retail store across the country?

Those green savers are awesome... Why am I having such a hard time finding one to buy? How are these not sold in every Golf retail store across the country?

They come from the U.K Look for them on eBay.

This has been something in debate since I was a kid! At least there is a video out to show those new to the name or who don't know how (seems like a lot) to fix one. Sorry, I need to stop because this is something that drives me crazy on the course and I could rant for hours about this!!!! :angry:

Thanks for posting this Smalls! Thank goodness I've been doing it right for a while now (I think after reading a Golf Digest article) - but a video is nice to see! I'm going to forward this to the guy that's giving lessons to the juniors at our local course - everyone who plays sould see this before they're allowed to tee off.

Thx for the tips Smalls. It's very important that all golfers (recreational/Serious) know how to properly fix a ball mark on the green.
Treat the greens well and they may reward you in return.

I always fix ball marks BUT if some starter wants me to walk to a green to show me how to do it he'd be alone and talking to himself. Also I don't need to be schooled on mark fixing by some stranger I've been paired with!

Ive actually never had anyone be upset about me showing them the right way to fix a ball mark. As a playing partner I don't say something until I see them lifting and tearing roots. I'm also a nice guy so it's not like I'm running over and freaking out or something. I approach it with tact and patience.

if I just say nothing the greens would look pretty bad mid summer and that's bad for everyone.

On the flip side, when I was a starer I enforced pace of play and would make groups skip holes to catch up. Now that made a lot of people angry.

Thanks Smalls! I thought I was being courteous, the whole time I was jacking up the green. No good deed goes unpunished, right. Well now I know better, so I'll get it right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've always repaired my pitch marks correctly, but then I use a Scotty Cameron repairer which is virtually impossible to use any way other than the correct way.

I've always felt different about the Cameron tools as I've seen a few people with them set them down on the rounded part and pry up with them instead of pushing in.

This came to mind today during my round. I wondered the green and looked for incorrectly repaired marks

Our pro has always said, fixed wrong is still better than not fixed at all.....

Our pro has always said, fixed wrong is still better than not fixed at all.....

http://golf.about.com/od/golfcourses/ss/ballmarkrepair.htm

Repairing those little depressions is very important. Equally important is doing it the right way. Because while many golfers fail to repair ball marks - and shame on you if you are one of them - there are also many well-meaning golfers who do "repair" the pitch marks, only to do so incorrectly.

A ball mark can cause the grass in the depression to die, leaving not just a scar but also a pit in the putting surface that can knock well-struck putts offline. Repairing a ball mark restores a smooth surface and helps keep the grass healthy. But "repairing" a ball mark incorrectly can actually cause more damage than not attempting to repair it at all, according to a study done at Kansas State University.

The KSU researchers, whose conclusions were reported on Cybergolf.com, found that incorrectly "repaired" ball marks take up to twice as long to heal as those that are properly repaired.

Thanks for the video, good instructions. I have been doing it wrong, now I know!!

Back