Dollars to Donuts I'd hit that low lofted, long shafted Cobra PW farther than my Ping G2 PW.

Thing is, I have a 9 iron for that distance!!

Did you ever hit your Ping G2 PW next to a Ping K1 PW?

this thread has started to confuse me

I am getting there as well. Interesting how people just ignore info that comes directly from the source or just says it is marketing with no facts to back it up. Who doesn't want to hit he ball farther or launch it higher and hold more greens with greater forgiveness?

this thread has started to confuse me

Yea, me too. I thought that most say the most difficult shots are less than full shots. If that is the case it would seem the club companies could help us out more by giving us clubs that will hit those shots with a full swing. Just a thought.

What bothers me about the loft strengthening has been the compression on the long club end of the bag. Most players cannot benefit from 3* gaps and a few sets even have 2* gaps - there just is no point to having 6-8 yard gaps on that end. The OEMs know this but continue to pump out sets this way be they irons or the hybrids to replace them.

I am getting there as well. Interesting how people just ignore info that comes directly from the source or just says it is marketing with no facts to back it up. Who doesn't want to hit he ball farther or launch it higher and hold more greens with greater forgiveness?

I guess the thing is, who cares? Who cares that I can hit my AMP Cell PW as far as my i3 9 iron? I would take the AMP Cell irons over the i3 irons every day of the week(and I'm a PING homer). I would much rather be hitting that AMP cell 6 iron in to a green instead of the i3 5 iron. I dunno, just seems like much to do about nothing really.

What bothers me about the loft strengthening has been the compression on the long club end of the bag. Most players cannot benefit from 3* gaps and a few sets even have 2* gaps - there just is no point to having 6-8 yard gaps on that end. The OEMs know this but continue to pump out sets this way be they irons or the hybrids to replace them.

It would seem to me that they would have gone the other way in nomenclature. Call the new version iron a 6 iron where the old one was a 7 iron. Keep some loft integrity.

This is the perfect example of why we so often urge people to try things before criticizing. These are not any longer distance wise than other irons because of their incredibly high launch. In speaking with R&D when the set first came out, they spoke about how they had to drop lofts more because the sole design and weighting to not have even average swing speeds completely balloon the golf ball.

But then again, as we have learned, none of that matters, because its all marketing (have you seen a single TV commercial for this iron set)?

Hawk, I believe so. He He.

Bottom Line: Clubs are easier to hit and going farther. It's all good, regardless, of what's labeled on the sole.

Last edited:
I guess the thing is, who cares? Who cares that I can hit my AMP Cell PW as far as my i3 9 iron? I would take the AMP Cell irons over the i3 irons every day of the week(and I'm a PING homer). I would much rather be hitting that AMP cell 6 iron in to a green instead of the i3 5 iron. I dunno, just seems like much to do about nothing really.

Exactly, does it really matter what is printed on the bottom of the club?

Do you mean like the 2 degree difference between the G2 3 and 4 iron?

Honestly, in todays world I like that it's easy to just custom order clubs, you don't need to buy a full set. Then just get what you want and with adjustable hybrids and woods you can set your gaps however you want.

Maybe Luke List has the right idea:

raffaele-lukelist-namedclubs-640x360_zpsc91fd429.jpg

What we got 175? I'll take the fireball

Do you mean like the 2 degree difference between the G2 3 and 4 iron?

Honestly, in todays world I like that it's easy to just custom order clubs, you don't need to buy a full set. Then just get what you want and with adjustable hybrids and woods you can set your gaps however you want.

Yes but most consumers are not aware of this and end up with at least two clubs that they hit virtually the same distance. As a fitter, it makes it challenging to accurately gap for customers because I don't have the option (without playing with an adjustable head model) of tinkering with that end of the bag.

When ordering clubs don't most manufacturers allow you to have the lofts bent strong/weak to adjust a gap if needed?

This is a valid point.

This thread has become incredibly funny to me, as most loft threads do.

I give up.

I give up.
We're just arguing science at this point, right?

I give up.

arguing-on-the-internet1_zps5c757d7d.jpg

I understand the irony of this post coming from me.

When ordering clubs don't most manufacturers allow you to have the lofts bent strong/weak to adjust a gap if needed?

Yes, but two problems exist there. First, without the ability to hit a club at that loft, can you be sure that it is the right fit? You can extrapolate pretty well with Trackman though. Second, and the larger problem, is that most hybrids are not bendable and the bounce on long irons is minimal so changing the loft on those can cause some serious changes in the playability of the club.

Yes, but two problems exist there. First, without the ability to hit a club at that loft, can you be sure that it is the right fit? You can extrapolate pretty well with Trackman though. Second, and the larger problem, is that most hybrids are not bendable and the bounce on long irons is minimal so changing the loft on those can cause some serious changes in the playability of the club.

I see those problems but that may be one area the oems focus on in the future, alone with the high lofted wedge. This is just one example but the mizuno fly high hybrids allow for lie adjustments though I'm not sure about loft. When going thru a fitting however can't you just leave out one of the longer clubs if you see a gap that is too small? Say your 4 and 5 iron are only 6 yards different leave out the 4 iron and plan your hybrids/fws accordingly to have a better gap between your 5i and whatever your next club is? That's what I did when buying my last set. I have a 22 degree fw which is the same loft my set 4i would be. I didn't buy the 4i until I knew what gap I'd have between the 5i and fw.

This is why I really like the THP forums. The knowledge is outstanding.

Thanks.

You are not kidding. I am so glad I started this thread because I have a much deeper understanding and appreciation for the newer equipment now. Having said that, I fully plan on breaking 90 my first round in 30 years, causing a massive run on Eye 2's on eBay. Lol

Seriously guys, thanks for the education.

And...sorry for starting a debate that can never be settled! It was NOT intentional.

the larger problem, is that most hybrids are not bendable and the bounce on long irons is minimal so changing the loft on those can cause some serious changes in the playability of the club.

As I learned Friday with Adams, their hosels are longer to allow bending to whatever you want.
I'm out!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Year 2020 prediction:

40 degree Pitching Wedges with 36.5 to 37 inch shafts (launch high and travel Looong)

Players will carry 5 Wedges (including PW)

Old golfers will revel in the fact they're hitting their Pitching Wedges longer than ever. Conveniently forgetting their Pitching Wedges of yesteryear were two inches shorter and sported ten degrees more loft. "Awe, how grand, this New technology".

Last edited:
lets-beat-that-horse.jpg

Back