At what point will you "Pick up?"

a 10 was generous!! LOL :beat-up:

I shot a 15 on a hole 2 weeks ago... I pick my ball up out of the cup and that's it.

I play it all out. The only time I will pick up is when I'm holding up our group then just add 3 strokes to where I'm at & get to the next hole.

Thank goodness those are far and few between now, but I still mark them down and it's part of the score I turn in for Hcap.

We generally play with a quad max rule to help speed up play.

What is a double par?

I hear people say they have never gotten worse than even a 10 on a hole! Even when they first started. I got a 17 once (horrible first hole which I tin cupped a bunch of balls in the water), which I never would have gotten had I picked up. Easy to brag about never getting double digits when you pick up before you get there!

I once made a 10 on a par 4 and a 12 on a par 5 on consecutive holes, on the first 9 holes of the 72 hole club championship (on my way to a 104 for the round). That's 13 over par on 2 holes, and I was carrying a 10 handicap at the time. Surprisingly I didn't win. :beat-up:

I once made a 10 on a par 4 and a 12 on a par 5 on consecutive holes, on the first 9 holes of the 72 hole club championship (on my way to a 104 for the round). That's 13 over par on 2 holes, and I was carrying a 10 handicap at the time. Surprisingly I didn't win. :beat-up:

Ouch...

During am everyday round its double par for me.

Tappin it up

8 is my max unless the course is empty.

I go with the old RCGA ESC limit of quadruple bogey for golfers with a 30+ index. I have also picked up after any especially poor shot, even if quad was not yet in play. Gotta do that sometimes to keep the raving lunatic golfer inside of me at bay.

This is not directed at any recent posts, but it has been brought up more than a few times:

ESC is NOT the point where you are supposed to pick up. It is simply the maximum score you can take on a hole when you are submitting the round for your handicap.

How are you ever going to participate in the Worst Hole of the Day thread when you pick up before you register a double par score on a hole? (Double par is the requirement for being eligible to post in that thread!)

My group used to say triple bogey max. Now we say double par max since we are supposed to be getting better. Luckily that rarely happens anymore.

In stroke play tournaments, no picking up unless I'm so slow that the group will be penalized. Then I'll take the X and play out the rest of the round for skins.

In casual weekend play, I will pick up for pace of play issues as well, though it rarely happens.. The number is not important, only the impact on the other players on the course. No one behind? I'll play it out.

To people who pick up, what score do you take? DO you take whatever score you were on when you picked up, or do you add more strokes, since you obviously aren't in the cup yet? If you are laying 8 and you are still 50 yards short of the green, do you take that 8? Or do you say "1 more to get on and 2 putt for an 11"?

How do you handle a match that uses total score? Say you and the other guy tie for total score, but you picked up and he didn't? Or say you beat him by one shot? How does that work? Who buys the beers?

Other than tournament golf, I don't ever play in total score matches. It's either a modified stableford format, skins, net skins, or ESC adjusted to be more fair to the higher handicap guys.

In stableford scoring, I can easily lose to a guy who shoots a gross score 16 strokes higher than me, but who manages a couple of birdies and a handful of pars. His two big blowup holes don't penalize him all that much.

To people who pick up, what score do you take? DO you take whatever score you were on when you picked up, or do you add more strokes, since you obviously aren't in the cup yet? If you are laying 8 and you are still 50 yards short of the green, do you take that 8? Or do you say "1 more to get on and 2 putt for an 11"?

How do you handle a match that uses total score? Say you and the other guy tie for total score, but you picked up and he didn't? Or say you beat him by one shot? How does that work? Who buys the beers?

We usually figure it's a wash since most often we earn our triple bogeys at this point. Usually when we bet it's skins, recently I've played poker neither of which rely on total score.

only pick up when holding up the group i am playing with or the group behind me. will pick up in match play when it is obvious i am beat.....and yes, i have had to pick up when playing against amsmith61 on more than one hole....lol

Cant remember the last time I actually picked up. Through all the struggles lately ive managed to refrain from it. Even with my tin cup moment a couple weeks back when I put 3 in the drink I played out the hole. Funny part is I put it within 4 ft the 4th time :). I imagine if I was affecting pace of play id pick up though.

I hear people say they have never gotten worse than even a 10 on a hole! Even when they first started. I got a 17 once (horrible first hole which I tin cupped a bunch of balls in the water), which I never would have gotten had I picked up. Easy to brag about never getting double digits when you pick up before you get there!

Lol. I carded a 12 and an 11 in the same round once. It was day 1 of our club championship. I felt pretty bad, until one guy came in and he talked about a 15. Made my twelve seem like a birdie. :D

I will usually pick up my ball when I reach my ESC score. But, if the course is not crowded, or my group is well in front of the trailing group, I may play it out just for the practice. Fortunately it doesn't happen very often.

I pick up fairly quickly. Taking a hole off really helps calm me down and saves the round for me. They're all pretty much practice rounds for me at this stage in the game anyway.

Picking up...

Picking up...

I have been playing golf for a little while now. I play with a bunch of different golfers. I do have a normal group I play with. Every once in a while I will play with a golfer who isn't having the best hole and they give up. And I've seen more than 15 different people do this.

So, my point is this. At what point have you had enough, and pick up? If you do this, how do you score the hole on the card? I for one will never pick up. I paid to play every hole and every swing. Take my lumps and move on to the next hole.

Thanks for reading guys. Look forward to your thoughts on this topic.

Mods, thanks for moving this. I searched for it but I guess I didn't search enough words.

Amphibians can Tapatalk... Fear the Frog!

Back