Golf Etiquette - part 2 - Radios on the course

Let's not let this thread turn into an argument.

Smileys are your friend!

As has been said about a dozen times (if not more) in this very thread ... everyone here in this thread that plays music, plays their music so it's only audible to those in that group, and no one else.

Not exactly. There have been a few instances where they have mentioned hearing other forum members music while playing in a different group. "Loud" was mentioned more than a couple of times.

I only hope that where it was loud enough for other THPers to hear it, care was taken not to subject other paying groups not in the THP contingent to the loudness.

Though music on the course would not bother me - virtually nothing does - I would never play music on the course. Very inconsiderate of other players.

As has been said about a dozen times (if not more) in this very thread ... everyone here in this thread that plays music, plays their music so it's only audible to those in that group, and no one else.

By the way, when are we going back to playing in ties, suits, and bowler hats? Every generation has their own idea of what constitutes proper etiquette,

Respect for other players and for the course is not generation dependent. That's all etiquette is, just respect. Unless everyone in your group is from your generation and you know that they can live with your music, you shouldn't be playing it. That's a pretty simple rule of etiquette.

Also keep in mind that the rules prohibit music if it serves the purpose of assisting you in making a stroke, such as helping you keep a rhythm or tempo in your swing.

[h=2]14-3/17[/h][h=4]Player Listens to Music or Broadcast During Round[/h]Q.A player uses a device to listen to music, a radio broadcast or any other type of broadcast during a stipulated round. What is the ruling?
A.Under Rule 14-3a, a player may not use any artificial device or unusual equipment that "might assist him in making a stroke or in his play." Listening to music or a broadcast while making a stroke or for a prolonged period might assist the player in his play, for example, by eliminating distractions or promoting a good tempo. Therefore, the use of an artificial device to listen to music or a broadcast, whether or not through headphones, while making a stroke or for a prolonged period of time during a stipulated round is a breach of Rule 14-3. However, it would not be a breach of Rule 14-3 for a player to listen to a device briefly, for example, to obtain the results of another sporting event or traffic information, while walking between the putting green of one hole and the teeing ground of the next hole.
A Committee will have to consider all available facts and circumstances in determining whether a player using an artificial device to listen to music or a broadcast has done so for a prolonged period such that the action might have assisted the player in his play.

Definitely don't mind either way, as long as I can still hear the voices in my head its all good. I don't mind talking or movement in general as long as it is not sudden and loud. A loud Four in my direction during a backswing might affect me, but playing partners talking about the football game last night doesn't--so I don't sit and wait for silence pre-swing. I have had guys apologize after I hit not realizing I was ready or already swinging--I put them at ease letting them know its no big deal to me.

Respect for other players and for the course is not generation dependent. That's all etiquette is, just respect. Unless everyone in your group is from your generation and you know that they can live with your music, you shouldn't be playing it. That's a pretty simple rule of etiquette.
The meaning of etiquette extends well beyond just respect, however to the rest of your comment I wouldn't disagree with it. With that said, IIIRC, you inserted yourself into a scenario of a younger generational player and said you wouldn't last the turn because you wouldn't be able to stomach his music. Of course, you never gave him the chance to say that if you didn't want to listen to music, he'd abide by your wishes. To a man, everyone agrees that being rude and disrespectful is a no-no, and quite a few people have said that they'd turn their music off if others didn't want to listen to it.

fourputt said:
Also keep in mind that the rules prohibit music if it serves the purpose of assisting you in making a stroke, such as helping you keep a rhythm or tempo in your swing.
Pretty much, to a man, everyone has said that when it comes to competitive play, they wouldn't play music. Not sure there is any reason for anyone to get all bent out of shape however when a group of people are out, hacking it up, and keeping to themselves. Surely we can all agree that if a group isn't bothering or negatively impacting anyone else (or the course for that matter), they can conduct themselves as they wish.

Jake's little speaker was struggling at that volume level, but it was awesome. Glad there was a little inspiration haha

Anti music'ers would have hated us then on Friday as we had 2 speakers going on the course! Jake's speaker<Nate's speaker. He-He

I've never done it or heard music on the course, but I really want to try it after everything on here lately.
The cart girls at the Cowboys Club loved Jake and I's 90's hip hop cart music... just sayin..

Haha awesome. Old hip hop is some of the best music man. More late 90s/early 2000s, but one of, if not my favorite stations on Pandora is Country Grammar radio. Love it.

The only times I've heard music on the course it was obnoxiously loud and it ticked me off a little.
If groups kept it to a reasonable level and turned it down/off whenever they came within close proximity to another group I can't see why anyone would take exception to it.

Yes, unless Big Time goes elevator music on you..

Did I not change it once that crap started up! I can't control Pandora!!!!! Was pretty funny when the Eye of the Tiger came on right before your shot and you hit it about 10 feet. No Sleep Till Brooklyn took care of all that elevator music. Even after a few tunes it got Jake's attention.

I love having a speaker on the course. Never turn it up too loud to be distracting for other groups, and I always ask my partners if it is ok. Keeps the mood light and is quite enjoyable

Why do I feel like this scenario would play hell with my tempo… :bulgy-eyes:

I've only played with a few people that had music going and it doesn't bother me. All of them asked me if I had a problem with it so the consideration for others was there.

Anti music'ers would have hated us then on Friday as we had 2 speakers going on the course! Jake's speaker<Nate's speaker. He-He
Did you guys ever have your music synced? Dueling speakers FTW!!!

Jake's music>Nate's elevator music!!!!!

And I'm upgrading my speaker ASAP after hearing how great your's sounded!!!

It surprises me that so many people are so against music on the course. It adds so much fun to what is an already fun game. Relaxed rounds with buddies....music is a must for me!

It surprises me that so many people are so against music on the course. It adds so much fun to what is an already fun game. Relaxed rounds with buddies....music is a must for me!

That Saturday round ranks up there in favorite rounds. I bet that is a direct correlation to the loudness of the music. Boom!

It does make those rounds that go wrong soooooo much more tolerable. Kind of like when someone we know goes -4 in a 5 hole stretch and Tears for Fears comes on.

Yes, unless Big Time goes elevator music on you..
When I played with Nate he kept wanting to jam to boy band music, Backstreet Boys, NSync, etc.

Ok, this is getting ridiculous. It's Pandora's fault!!
Don't lie, they showed up on your recommended stations!!!

Don't lie, they showed up on your recommended stations!!!

I click the thumbs down button!!! In all seriousness, I'm still learning Pandora and figuring out key songs to plug in to get the type of music I'm wanting. I may need a Pandora101 Do's and Don't class.

Ok, this is getting ridiculous. It's Pandora's fault!!
Decoding Pandora
"Pandora’s approach more or less ignores the crowd. It is indifferent to the possibility that any given piece of music in its system might become a hit. The idea is to figure out what you like, not what a market might like."

Listen, the first step on the road to recovery is acceptance. You're not fooling anyone here, so stop fooling yourself.

Back