Wilson FG Tour Ball - Review Thread

fupresti

Former Big Deal
Reaction score
Handicap
Marriage
I think everyone started getting their 2-ball sample packs this week, and I had the chance to put it in play this AM.

I had largely written off Wilson Golf as the OEM best suited to stock Wal-Mart with starter sets. But my eyes are open and I see that they are making some really great equipment and deserve a look. That being said, the ball itself performed exceptionally. I generally play a 4 or 5 piece performance ball so this is in my wheel house.

Off the driver, it is long and produces a great ball flight. Side by side with my Bridgestone B330 in limited play was about 5-7 yards longer then the B330. This is entirely unscientific, but it certainly was not lacking in distance.

Feel is great. I know its sold as "softest tour ball", but it doesn't feel mushy. It feels like you make good, solid contact.

Spin on shorter irons and approach shots? This is a PW from 140. Enough said.
exmZb74l.jpg

Durability is where this ball shines. I hit a ton of short irons in my 9 holes and the ball still looks brand new. I mean, its still shining. Very impressed as I felt the new B330 had given up some in the durability department.

I will spend some more time with the ball, but I am thoroughly impressed with my first 9 holes with it. It seems like it came ready to compete and I think I would have no problem making this a primary gamer.

I just got mine this week and will be taking them out tomorrow. I was surprised how sticky the cover felt to the touch, I'll be curious to see what kind of spin and feel I get with these.

Just got mine today. Will get them on the course next week

No TM or Wilson balls yet for me...gotta go chase down the mailman, apparently he's stealing my golf balls :)

I am persona non grata with these internet entries. I entered both on FB and Twitter, and have heard and seen nada. Wilson Staff, why do you scorn me so?

I am persona non grata with these internet entries. I entered both on FB and Twitter, and have heard and seen nada. Wilson Staff, why do you scorn me so?

Likewise deuce

I think everyone started getting their 2-ball sample packs this week, and I had the chance to put it in play this AM.

I had largely written off Wilson Golf as the OEM best suited to stock Wal-Mart with starter sets. But my eyes are open and I see that they are making some really great equipment and deserve a look. That being said, the ball itself performed exceptionally. I generally play a 4 or 5 piece performance ball so this is in my wheel house.

Off the driver, it is long and produces a great ball flight. Side by side with my Bridgestone B330 in limited play was about 5-7 yards longer then the B330. This is entirely unscientific, but it certainly was not lacking in distance.

Feel is great. I know its sold as "softest tour ball", but it doesn't feel mushy. It feels like you make good, solid contact.

Spin on shorter irons and approach shots? This is a PW from 140. Enough said.
exmZb74l.jpg

Durability is where this ball shines. I hit a ton of short irons in my 9 holes and the ball still looks brand new. I mean, its still shining. Very impressed as I felt the new B330 had given up some in the durability department.

I will spend some more time with the ball, but I am thoroughly impressed with my first 9 holes with it. It seems like it came ready to compete and I think I would have no problem making this a primary gamer.
Glad you gave the balls a chance. I truly believe W/S is making some of the top golf equipment, from tee to green, in the world right now. Makes me extremely happy that THP has gotten involved with them also.

Good to see you got a chance to try these balls out and they have given you great results. I just got my wilson balls last week, but with all the snow on the ground can't test them out yet. I am really looking for a ball that I can trust on for distance and for great control around the green. Guess I will have to wait and see if this ball can do this.

Haven't gotten mine yet, but I am really excited after hearing your thoughts on it. I was really hoping this ball would be able to hold its own in the highly competitive market, and from what you have said, it sounds like it will do just that. Thanks for the feedback.

I just received a note from them today asking for my address. They has misspelled my name in twitter but fortunately my buddy caught it and shared the instructions with me.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

ha2e7eza.jpg
got mine all marked up for a spring try out. Like the fact that thru have you a$10 coupon on your first dozen.

Sent from my ALCATEL_one_touch_995S using Tapatalk

was hoping to get in on the free sample, but will have to wait and see if I can find a sleeve or something to try down the road. Good info fupresti.

I can't wait to put these into play today, I'm really going to focus on the short game side of things, for me at least I don't notice a huge deal off the tee and approach, but once I get to the 100 yard tree and in I sure notice quite a bit of differences between balls.

What is the price point for these? I like the duo and if these are not much more I'm going to ponder these.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

What is the price point for these? I like the duo and if these are not much more I'm going to ponder these.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
I believe the MSRP is $44.99

Wilson FG Tour Ball - Review Thread

I am mid round with this ball. So far I find it to be very impressive with approach shots and nice off the putter. Other conditions make it hard to assess off the Teebox.

Here are a couple of shots. First is a 9i to an uphill elevated green from 140. The ball bounced once then spun back a tiny bit to a complete stop. I put a tee in the green to make it easier to see where the ball landed.
hyma2ygy.jpg

Next up is a PW uphill from 135. The ball rolled back about 10 inches.
tagehu8e.jpg

The greens are wet and that is helping, but the ball is performing.

I'm playing side by side with the lady precept and they seem comparable off the putter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Isn't there an email address we can write to in regards to getting the two pack from W/S? I remember reading something about giving them our twitter handle ... can't locate that post now.

ETA: Found it.

Last edited:
Should be able to share some thoughts and data on this one sometime soon thanks to drp. Feels very nice off an iron.

Should be able to share some thoughts and data on this one sometime soon thanks to drp. Feels very nice off an iron.
This is one of the big take always I had with this ball too. There was an overarching feeling of "flushing" the shots with irons, that sense of nothingness when striking the ball. Very nice. I need to buy another sleeve and play these in conditions where I can get a better sense of what they do off the driver, but initial impressions of the ball are favorable.

Who makes this ball? I'm going to try some - they would match my irons.:act-up:

i will be getting mine soon excited to see how they feel.

I finally had a chance to take these out this weekend, I was surprised the distance I was seeing out of them, and the feel was quite good.

The bad part, there were gusts maxing out at 30 MPH, so it was quite difficult to figure out what the heck the ball was doing if the wind was blowing so hard!

Has anyone else noticed a lack of durability with these or just me?

After < 1 round, the one I was using looked pretty beat up.

They seemed to lack durability for me as well, I don't know if I'm just hard on balls, but these didn't seem to hold up as well as others.

I had the opposite experience. To me so far it's the most durable urethane ball I've ever played.

Back