The local golf shop

UVaWahoo

Reaction score
Handicap
When I first became interested in golf, the norm was the locally owned and operated golf shop. Now regionally, it seems that if one wants golf stuff one must go to Dicks, Golf Galaxy or Golfsmith. The locally owned and operated shops are few and far between. For some reason, in my immediate area, it seems that the big boys have not yet arrived. Many, if not most, devoted golfers in the area patronize a remaining locally owned and operated shop. Its much like Cheers or the neighborhood bar, its good to go where everyone knows your name. A friend ordered some clubs from one of the big boys, while I ordered from the local shop. The delivery has taken longer than suggested in each case. The difference, the local guys have contacted me, were apologetic and said they are making every effort to get them in. My friend has not heard a word from the big boys. Now rumors are flying that one of the big boys may have plans to enter my immediate area. I fear for my neighborhood bar, so to speak. I can only hope that I and my fellow golfers for whom the local guys have served these years, will remain loyal.

my local golf shop is £30 dearer than online for jetspeed, biocell, sldr woods so id rather just buy online. £10 more expensive would be acceptable but not £30.

When I first became interested in golf, the norm was the locally owned and operated golf shop. Now regionally, it seems that if one wants golf stuff one must go to Dicks, Golf Galaxy or Golfsmith. The locally owned and operated shops are few and far between. For some reason, in my immediate area, it seems that the big boys have not yet arrived. Many, if not most, devoted golfers in the area patronize a remaining locally owned and operated shop. Its much like Cheers or the neighborhood bar, its good to go where everyone knows your name. A friend ordered some clubs from one of the big boys, while I ordered from the local shop. The delivery has taken longer than suggested in each case. The difference, the local guys have contacted me, were apologetic and said they are making every effort to get them in. My friend has not heard a word from the big boys. Now rumors are flying that one of the big boys may have plans to enter my immediate area. I fear for my neighborhood bar, so to speak. I can only hope that I and my fellow golfers for whom the local guys have served these years, will remain loyal.

I make 99% of my golf purchases at my home course. First we get great discounts as members of the course and more often than not, we receive trade in values higher than stated on the PGA Value Guide (which most course's/small shops use). There is always the options as well to simply sell no longer needed or wanted equipment on eBay (although I very rarely buy there).

I do as much local shopping as possible not only on golf items, but everyday items as well. Living in a rural farming community we are limited on our options of where we shop, but I'll spend a buck or two more to have my hard earned money going into the pocket of someone I know personally any day over some box store that could care less about me and my family.

You have identified a trend that has been going on a long time, and certainly not just in golf. The advent of super markets pretty much finished off the majority of mom and pop bakeries and butcher shops. The ones that remain had to get aggressive and creative in what they offered, fresh bread and hamburger wasn't enough any more. It is, I believe, the same with golf retailers, whether stand alone or the club pro shop. They will have to focus down on the brands that protect their prices and won't let the big box stores undercut their small retailers.

It seems to me that the strength the small retailers have is that most golfers understand that clubs need to be properly fitted. It will require an investment on the retailer's part to get training and a launch monitor, fitting cart(s) etc. But I for one would much rather be fitted by a trained fitter at a local club than by some clerk at a big box store that was probably trained to do fittings by the assistant manager the week after he was hired last month. (I know, there are no doubt some really good fitters working at big box stores some places.)

Interesting thread before I moved from Beaumont there was one big golf shop Games People Play other than that its a Academy or online. Moved to baytown and here there's nothing but Academy unless you drive into Houston, the closest Golfsmith is in Baybrook about a 30 minute ride, of course Houston has 4 Golfsmiths and 2 Golf Galaxy's the closest by the Galleria about 45 minutes to an hour depending on traffic. Since I don't work much, I entertained the thought of opening a store here since there are 5 courses and one range only(which doesn't sell equipment) that are closer here than the closest Golfsmith. From what I've found out though it's near impossible to open because the major manufacturers force you to purchase a certain amount of product each year. The 5 courses here, Evergreen Point, doesn't offer clubs, but a few pair of shoes, balls, clothing. Eagle pointe has some clubs, not many, but shoes, balls, clothing. Goose Creek, has no clubs, no shoes, no clothing, and just boxes of pre packaged 2nd hand balls. The Battleground in Deer Park is similar to Eagle Pointe. and lastly Bay Forest in LaPorte I haven't been to. So on one hand you would think with 5 courses, all pretty much in the $40 per round range that there may be enough holders to support a dedicated golf store. Then thought about maybe just going second hand golf, maybe keep 10-12 sets of irons, some drivers and wedges, and some balls but even then there's not much money in balls when Academy sells a refurb box of Pro v1 for $19.99. So in the end it seems that you'd have to stay in business on the club end because you can't make it on balls. But if anyone has any other ideas or suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Until recently our area was strictly served by two smaller shops. About two years ago we got a Dicks and things have been different. One of our small guys is owned by a larger golf store brand and it seems they are allowed to keep doing their thing just to maintain a presence. The other one has a robust online presence and they will admit to being alive because of their website. Hopefully your shop can maintain but they might have to branch out to remain viable.

Balls from Dicks since they have a good selection. Any components or club making stuff from a local guy b/c he's good to me. Makes knock-off equipment though, so I'm not buying clubs from him. The other 'local' shop is staffed by idiots and I won't buy a thing from them. It's like the internet transported four guys into a golf store. No thanks.

My local Pro Shop is pretty knowledgeable about this equipment. He's a Callaway Staffer, but carries a lot of other OEM's as well. He usually has some decent buys on polo's from time to time. (Example: 3 for $100) Plus his golf ball supply is good and the prices are comparable to online retailers. So usually I buy a few shirts from him from time to time, and MOST of the time I buy by golf balls from him. I have yet to buy any clubs from him, but that's just because I don't buy clubs that often, not because he wouldn't give me a good deal.

I don't have a local golf shop. I don't even have local club repair. I can make a 70 mile round trip to my closest local golf shop. I will say that they are willing to work out a good deal, or extras, or fittings from trained PGA professionals, and the like. The box stores.....well they are 120 mile round trip. They have a selection that is probably 5x larger than my 'local shop.' When it comes to shoes, balls, and apparel, the big box is always cheaper. But the big box usually has poor customer service. In addition, they treat it like the world is ending if I ask them to regip a couple of clubs the same day as when I walk in, even though they're not actually doing anything behind the counter.

I'd prefer a local golf shop, but choices aren't really available.

~Rock

You have identified a trend that has been going on a long time, and certainly not just in golf. The advent of super markets pretty much finished off the majority of mom and pop bakeries and butcher shops. The ones that remain had to get aggressive and creative in what they offered, fresh bread and hamburger wasn't enough any more. It is, I believe, the same with golf retailers, whether stand alone or the club pro shop. They will have to focus down on the brands that protect their prices and won't let the big box stores undercut their small retailers.

It seems to me that the strength the small retailers have is that most golfers understand that clubs need to be properly fitted. It will require an investment on the retailer's part to get training and a launch monitor, fitting cart(s) etc. But I for one would much rather be fitted by a trained fitter at a local club than by some clerk at a big box store that was probably trained to do fittings by the assistant manager the week after he was hired last month. (I know, there are no doubt some really good fitters working at big box stores some places.)

I agree with much of what you say. The big corporations can and have killed off a ton of mom&pops. What better example than hardware stores. The "home depot" (even long before lowes) just buried every one of them. Living in the very populated tri-state-area there use to be a mom&pop hardware store in virtually every neighborhood and now there are very few. Heck, they even killed off many contractors suppliers/wholesalers where as the general public could now not only find items that only your local service company or contractor could buy but also buy them at the same price as the contractor. It even helped kill older chain stores like Pergaments and Rickles/channel lumber. Similarly for sports in general the mom&pops where also killed off leaving very few behind and this was due to the likes of the bigger stores like "sports authority, Modells, and also now Dicks. The little guy just couldnt compete anymore. Whatever the specific genre or catagory of a store they just couldnt carry enough variety and stock. And even if they did they couldnt buy it in enough bulk at a cheaper rate. When I was young I use to go from neighborhood to neighborhood before finding the hardware store who had what i may have needed.

To the higlighted above I disagree. Most people who golf do not get fitted or even know much about it. This is also probably one of the reasons a local mom&pop cant compete. There is just not enough of a need for "specializing" because that market is just too small. Too many purchasers of golf clubs just dont know or dont care. If every one who played golf new the need for good proffesional, specialized service to be the norm then they would want to go to that mom&pop for the personal and proffessional fitting when they baught clubs. But they dont so they just head to Golf galaxy, dicks, golfsmith, even sport authority or whatever. And most of them dont even know if there is a mom&pop golf store around to begin with.

Most of the golf club buying general public is ignorant and even the manufacturers know this and is why they they spend so much effort advertising and marketing "longest, straightest, highest, cure all, and what the pros use". Heck, even well educated avid golfers get caught up in that but thats another topic and point being is that most people do not know and/or care about the importance a specialty mom&pop store can offer and therefore dont have the need for them and those stores cant stay in business. And lets face it, getting back to stock and inventory, would you rather go to a mom&pop for a pair of cleats and find only a few pairs to see? or head to GG and find 2 dozen to check out? Look at 10 putters or 40? see 8 golf bags or 60? see a handful of club models or a wall with 30 sets to check out? check out 6 grips or check out a rack of 30? And also buy them cheaper.

Stock, variety, pricing, and general public ignorance are all imo why the mom&pop cant compete. Sad but its the way it is.

Back