Cleveland 588 RTX CB Wedges Review - Forum Testing

Finally got to play my new CB 54* here on HHI. Love this club. Can't believe the spin this thing puts on the ball. Only way the ball doesn't take a couple hops and stop is when I skull it across the green. I know because I've skilled a few already this week! Hey, it has been a loooong winter in upstate NY.
Hardest thing so far has been changing my mindset to hit the ball to the hole instead of playing for rollout.
all being said, I am extremely happy with this purchase.

50* came today! Don't know when I'll get on the course... Snow in the forecast... again... But man it feels and looks great in hand!!

Finally got to play my new CB 54* here on HHI. Love this club. Can't believe the spin this thing puts on the ball. Only way the ball doesn't take a couple hops and stop is when I skull it across the green. I know because I've skilled a few already this week! Hey, it has been a loooong winter in upstate NY.
Hardest thing so far has been changing my mindset to hit the ball to the hole instead of playing for rollout.
all being said, I am extremely happy with this purchase.
The spin is one of the most surprising things I noticed with this club the first time out!

This club is still the closest thing to a guaranteed out club in the bunker that I've ever gamed.

This club is still the closest thing to a guaranteed out club in the bunker that I've ever gamed.
Use mine a couple of times out of the sand yesterday. One good, one not. Likely more me than the club.
Working with my Cleveland Smart Sole S mostly when in sand. Working pretty well for me so I'm not sure if I'll see the RTX much there.

Use mine a couple of times out of the sand yesterday. One good, one not. Likely more me than the club.
Working with my Cleveland Smart Sole S mostly when in sand. Working pretty well for me so I'm not sure if I'll see the RTX much there.

Smart Sole is awesome out of the sand as well. I preferred this one though. Still ponder putting another one back in the bag just for bunkers sometimes.

I struggle with actual (like soft) sand after playing some of the more poorly cared for ones for a while. A little practice usually clears it up though.

I had a ton of sand shots today and found myself using the CB no matter what the yardage as it's so great out of the sand.

I forgot to take a pic before I left, but I'm also amazed how well the finish is keeping, I haven't seen as much wear as I would expect. Great work by Cleveland on that.

Totally agree. The 56 is money out of bunkers for me.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Over the weekend I made a trip to the range and played nine holes at a par three. Weather is still an issue here in SWVA. First impressions of the 50* are great! Feel was awesome. Nice and smooth but certainly not the forged soft of my other 588 blade wedges. Great click at impact. It was very workable but also forgiving. My miss was a straight pull but that was the case with all irons yesterday. Definitely the swing not the club. The best part of this club yesterday was chipping. It is perfect for the bump and runs I was playing. Good spin, not extraordinary but very predictable. It was the same every time which is the most important thing. I am not a fan of the bump and run with a short iron or pitching wedge. Just never been good controlling the distance. I was money with the 50*. It was just perfect around the greens. Not a lot of information to go on but what little I was able to use it I was very pleased!

I got to 42 pages on this thread and skipped to the end. Can anyone compare the RTX CB to the CG14? The obvious similarities are the cavity back and the gel insert. I'm currently using the CG14 but promised myself a new "gift" for surviving back surgery :) I thought wedges would do just fine, lol. Other than weight, how do these compare? I plan to hit them up against Vokeys and the regular 588s to see which I like best. Just wondering what you guys noticed.

I got to 42 pages on this thread and skipped to the end. Can anyone compare the RTX CB to the CG14? The obvious similarities are the cavity back and the gel insert. I'm currently using the CG14 but promised myself a new "gift" for surviving back surgery :) I thought wedges would do just fine, lol. Other than weight, how do these compare? I plan to hit them up against Vokeys and the regular 588s to see which I like best. Just wondering what you guys noticed.

I played the CG14 for a bit when I first started playing. I found the RTX CBs to be a little heftier and more forgiving on full shots. They were also pretty easy out of the bunker. I've never been a sharpshooter out of the sand, so I'm usually happy when I have a reasonable putt. These fit the bill for me there. I think the weight and the high bounce on the CBs made them ideal for that. If I were gonna buy some of these to game today, I'd go with a combo 54˚ RTX CB & 58˚ RTX.

Love my 54*, though I miss the dsg but still a happy trade off

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Currently play CG14 RTG's which are heavier and have a softer head compared to the standard retail CG14, which are stainless steel. After trying the 588 CB's I found them to be nearly identical in terms of feel to my RTG's. The ONLY reason I went with the CG14 RTG was because they were on sale. At any rate, I think the 588 CB's are a nice wedge and will provide better feel and consistency than the CG14's you have.

I finally got to spend some quality time with a 58° RTX MB over the weekend.

Sign me up if these are what I'm offered at the Morgan Cup. Not sure what I expected, but I didn't realize the look at address was basically identical to the 588F's. That's a pretty big deal to me since I have almost two years playing time with them. Immediate comfort there. The S sole looks nice. Supposed to be a help in the bunkers, and though I have no clue exactly why, I was in/out of the bunkers in one shot every time while using it.

Sign me up if these are what I'm offered at the Morgan Cup. Not sure what I expected, but I didn't realize the look at address was basically identical to the 588F's. That's a pretty big deal to me since I have almost two years playing time with them. Immediate comfort there. The S sole looks nice. Supposed to be a help in the bunkers, and though I have no clue exactly why, I was in/out of the bunkers in one shot every time while using it.

I havent tried these, what kind of comparison can you make to any time you have with the CB version?

What did you think of the spin on the greens with this wedge. I really want to get a 54 degree of these. Right got a old scor before they were called that and its been skinning up the ball. Imagine these wouldn't do that.

I havent tried these, what kind of comparison can you make to any time you have with the CB version?

I actually haven't touched a CB and don't plan on it in the future. I'll probably just use a set wedge in the GW spot and the MB's are what I'm used to. Fits my game of partial swings and controlling trajectory.

What did you think of the spin on the greens with this wedge. I really want to get a 54 degree of these. Right got a old scor before they were called that and its been skinning up the ball. Imagine these wouldn't do that.

They'll put great check on the right ball with a good lie and strike.

I believe my father in law has the CB's, I had them to try before I buy and took 3 swings and said no thank you and passed them on to him.

Sound like I may need to try these MB soon

So a combination of Srixon ZStar and these could be a deadly combination around the green. That's what I am looking for when I am attacking the pin 100 yards and in. Don't like when the ball just rolls on by without doing any checking.
I actually haven't touched a CB and don't plan on it in the future. I'll probably just use a set wedge in the GW spot and the MB's are what I'm used to. Fits my game of partial swings and controlling trajectory.

They'll put great check on the right ball with a good lie and strike.

Honestly, if any wedge shot at 100 yards isn't spinning, that's not a groove or ball issue. It's a user issue.

Honestly, if any wedge shot at 100 yards isn't spinning, that's not a groove or ball issue. It's a user issue.

Otherwise known as the Mike Dean Decel that leads to topspin

I literally have to yell at myself before I swing to not decel (ask GregDan)

I hear ya, but all the great swings and hits I have taken with my Cobra Amps PW and GW I have never seen them doing any back spin or checking. I would think these guys might be able to help better. I mean comon the comercial even says it will give you the backspin LOL

Yea, it's just not the way it works. Differences in spin may be in the 100's of RPM's, which people just aren't going to notice with the naked eye.

10-4 Hawk, Well this User is going to improve so he no longer has user Error's when it comes to this. But around the green close I bet I would love these. Say Currently got the 588 DSG and it's giving some great spin when I am hitting out of the bunkers. Wonder what kind of differences I would see between those two.
Yea, it's just not the way it works. Differences in spin may be in the 100's of RPM's, which people just aren't going to notice with the naked eye.

Do you typically take full swings with your wedges coers?

Back