Callaway Apex Irons Review Thread

For those of you gaming the Apex irons through the gap wedge, how far is your AW and PW carrying? And what gaps are you seeing through the bag?

Now Ive only had 1 round in on the course with them, and a few practice sessions, but I think my PW is 125-130 carry and the AW is 110-115, will know more after the weekend. This is also yardages "pre-lessons" and Im hoping to pick up more distance with the tweaked swing Not really enough experience to have bag gap info yet.

How do these compare to the SpeedBladez in general?

Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

Apex are still very much new to me, but I'll give it a shot.

I'd have to say that the SpeedBlades are a tad longer and more forgiving, especially on the toe and bottom groove. Very high launching and low spin.

Apex stand out to me in the looks, sound, and feel departments and, IMO, come with a better stock shaft option. I also feel like I am more consistent with the Apex, but it's possible that it has something to do with them being fit to me.

Also, the price difference is huge between the two. Both very good options depending on what you're looking for in an set of irons.

For those of you gaming the Apex irons through the gap wedge, how far is your AW and PW carrying? And what gaps are you seeing through the bag?

I'm seeing a carry of about 140 with my PW and 120 with the AW. Some may consider that too large of a gap for wedges, but I can lay off a PW and cover it decently.

As for through the bag, I'm seeing about 10-15 yards between clubs, starting at about 215 for the 4 iron (which is fantastic). Pretty even spreads across the board.

Great news, Callaway is going to replace the shafts. I knew they were a great company, nice to see them stand behind their product. We have not got a actual answer on what happened, just human error.

Great news, Callaway is going to replace the shafts. I knew they were a great company, nice to see them stand behind their product. We have not got a actual answer on what happened, just human error.

Glad to see they are sorting it out!

Has anyone else heard that there is a world wide shortage of apex heads???

PW is about 145. AW is about 130.

Biggest gap is at the bottom of the bag. AW (130) and 54* (110).

PW is about 145. AW is about 130.

Biggest gap is at the bottom of the bag. AW (130) and 54* (110).

This is the gap that I'm concerned about. I was hitting the AW 135 and my 52* J40 carries 115.

This is the gap that I'm concerned about. I was hitting the AW 135 and my 52* J40 carries 115.

I've learned to hit a knockdown with the AW. It fills the distance gap, and it's a really accurate shot when you practice it.

I am extremely interested in these irons. I love the look. Can anyone compare these to the Ping i20 or i25s?

Different animals all together. The Apex are a distance/GI iron packaged in a players head shape. While the i20 and i25 are a bit more player type all around. Distance, forgiveness and feel wise I would go with the Apex all day. Looks go to the Apex as well. But, the irons are in two different classes. A more even comparison would be the G25 and Apex or the i series and the Apex Pro. Really liked the Apex irons. Too much power for this man to handle though.

Rap-a-tap Tappin' on my SG4

I have tinkered with the Apex on and off - love how they look but was not getting the "oh my" result that so many here have been. Not paying attention, I pulled the Apex Pro (KBS Tour V) shaft and put it on the Apex head - that led to a big "oh my". The ball speed jumped and I was averaging 2 mph more with the Apex than anything else in the shop. I was not thrilled with the dispersion so stuck in a DGS 300 on a whim - ball speed went down a tick but contact centered much better. Just wish they were a little cheaper :(

hit these irons at Golfsmith...wasnt expecting much...was very surprised...these felt soft, but with a lot of pop on the face...launched high too...stock 95g shaft good too...very impressed...think I might have to order a set...given I typically order 3-4 new sets per year, might as well, get started now...TM Speedblades going to get kicked out the door...:)

hit these irons at Golfsmith...wasnt expecting much...was very surprised...these felt soft, but with a lot of pop on the face...launched high too...stock 95g shaft good too...very impressed...think I might have to order a set...given I typically order 3-4 new sets per year, might as well, get started now...TM Speedblades going to get kicked out the door...:)

I have been really happy with these and I am won over with those xp95 shafts. As you hit them more I think you will really enjoy them.

These with the Recoil shafts are so tempting right now.

Sent using Tapatalk on my Samsung Galaxy S4.

Anyone use the Apex 55 degree SW?

Last edited:
Well I once again hit the Apex 6i a few times to make sure that what I saw last time wasn't a fluke. Nope, these irons are more than 2 clubs longer than my J40's all through the set. The distances are definitely less consistent but the gap is narrowing slightly, and the feel is right up there with anything else I've tried.

These with the Recoil F4's are so amazing.

For those of you rocking an Apex/Apex Pro combo set, did you bend some clubs stronger/weaker to help with the gapping?

Can you explain the less consistent part? Its something I have not seen and am curious what you mean by that.

Can you explain the less consistent part? Its something I have not seen and am curious what you mean by that.
For whatever reason I'm seeing carry distances vary more than I'm used to on what I think are solid strikes. For example the 6i carry varied about 12 yards sometimes with the same SS. I wonder if I am just missing some shots worse than others, but it doesn't feel that way.
I've gone back and forth with some in this thread already who said they simply don't see it, and they are actually gaming them as opposed to me hitting one club indoors.

For whatever reason I'm seeing carry distances vary more than I'm used to on what I think are solid strikes. For example the 6i carry varied about 12 yards sometimes with the same SS. I wonder if I am just missing some shots worse than others, but it doesn't feel that way.
I've gone back and forth with some in this thread already who said they simply don't see it, and they are actually gaming them as opposed to me hitting one club indoors.

I think I would wait to hit them off the actual turf. Just my opinion anyway. Having played them now for months, I have not seen anything like that.

I have not noticed the distance variance issues either.

I'm taking the Apex onto the course in the morning. I'll report on my findings.

For the ones playing the Recoil shafts....what version are you using? In GS yesterday & I was hitting the 660 F3s pretty good. But they didn't have the 670s or 95s I could hit. What differences have you noticed between the different versions?

Also, has anyone heard the Recoils are on back order for 3-4 weeks?

Well I once again hit the Apex 6i a few times to make sure that what I saw last time wasn't a fluke. Nope, these irons are more than 2 clubs longer than my J40's all through the set. The distances are definitely less consistent but the gap is narrowing slightly, and the feel is right up there with anything else I've tried.

These with the Recoil F4's are so amazing.

For those of you rocking an Apex/Apex Pro combo set, did you bend some clubs stronger/weaker to help with the gapping?

All I know is I must try this combo at some point as I'd really benefit by a club or 2 longer distance

All I know is I must try this combo at some point as I'd really benefit by a club or 2 longer distance

Combo's would be money. I don't think they require too much bending to get your loft gaps right. I think once you get to the 7 or 8 they're the same across both sets.

I think I would wait to hit them off the actual turf. Just my opinion anyway. Having played them now for months, I have not seen anything like that.
That is currently the plan.
I think the fact that everybody in this thread who actually games these irons doesn't see the inconsistency speaks volumes.

Combo's would be money. I don't think they require too much bending to get your loft gaps right. I think once you get to the 7 or 8 they're the same across both sets.

Sorry I meant the apex and recoils

I have not noticed the distance variance issues either.

I'm taking the Apex onto the course in the morning. I'll report on my findings.

No issues at all for me with inconsistent distances today.

I am still dialing in the distances, but the ball is flying the same with each iron. No crazy "hot" shots.

Back