What's with the fat professional golfers?

66Tiger

Golf > Work = :^)
Reaction score
Handicap
Beer&Soju
Growing​​ up, never saw a fat pro golfer. Now there are at least half a dozen on tour. They even seemed to get paired up. Makes my golf is a sport argument a challenge. Tiger is still looking good, wish his back was too.

Last edited:
I'm not sure when you grew up but, overall, they are way more athletic now than they've ever been.

I'm 48 this year.

Not sure what your definition of "fat" is but I guess not everyone is blessed with a Tiger like body type

As a group, I think the PGA pro of today is much more fit than they were in days of old. Not sure how old you are, but you mention when you were "growing up". It may be that you simply didn't see as much golf in the media as you do now. When I was growing up, we were doing well to see Saturday and Sunday coverage. Now, you can turn on the tv and see golf or golf related programming 24/7. Bound to see more guys with a few extra pounds.

As for the golf is a sport argument, have you seen how many really fat guys there in the NFL? Tons of them......pardon the pun.

JM

When do you mean when you say growing up?

Moe Norman was never what I would call thin.

Jack was known as "Fat Jack" early in his career.

Daly was 40 pounds overweight by 1980...

Watched golf from the 70's. Yes a great point is more coverage. I could be a little biased as I am in great shape, lift weights and run 10 miles a week....yet see young "fat" PGA pros play much better than I can.

Did you not watch Craig Stadler over the years?

Golf is not a cardio intensive sport that will keep you thin by default (like basketball for example).

Hell, I enjoy it - gives hope to the amateur golfer that you don't have to be extremely fit to be successful at a sport.

Growing​​ up, never saw a fat pro golfer. Now there are at least half a dozen on tour. They even seemed to get paired up. Makes my golf is a sport argument a challenge. Tiger is still looking good, wish his back was too.

On a less serious note, begging the question, we might conclude that we have certain amount of body weight / muscle mass on the field, and back in the days it was distributed evenly. Today, the amount of mass is the same, it's just divided to 12 fat guys, a couple of hundred normal guys and 12 fit guys. :alien2:

On a more serious note, I do believe there has been fat, skinny, fit, normal players from the beginning of time, with and without mustaches.

As a fellow portly golfer ... I LOVE to see DeJong, Peterson, Stadler, etc give the fit guys a run for their money - it's the only sport we can !!

Not sure what your definition of "fat" is but I guess not everyone is blessed with a Tiger like body type

Tiger was not "blessed" with a body type, he worked hard to get the body he has today. Anyone can look like Tiger if they work at it hard and long enough.

As a fellow portly golfer ... I LOVE to see DeJong, Peterson, Stadler give the fit guys a run for their money - it's the only sport we can !!

Bowling...

Tiger was not "blessed" with a body type, he worked hard to get the body he has today. Anyone can look like Tiger if they work at it hard and long enough.

The arguement can be made that lean & lanky is far better than buff ... Keegan & Tiger are two perfect examples of guys who's game went for the worse when they hit the weights.

Nothin wrong with big guys playin golf :)

At the end of the day, regardless of how much bigger their belly is than mine, they can get that clubhead where it belongs a whole lot better than I can...

Yeah -- and what's the deal with airline food?

"Tiger like body" not "Tiger was blessed" I am fully aware how hard Tiger works.

im not sure how their can be big guys on tour...the amount of walking they do during a golf week is insane. they must be pounding food when they arent golfing.

I tried going to a gym once......once. The amount of roid rage in there was ridiculous. And those who weren't roided up we're so vain about their looks, how they're just that much better than the rest of us. Asked about a personal trainer to come up with some golf type weight routines and all since I have lost some flexibility (I'm 44) they told me $70 an hour for that price Roid Boy can lift the weights for me. Like the tv commercial from a couple years ago "no pain.....no pain"

Same way you have 350 plus football players that are in better shape than most "buff" golfers. Don't judge a book by its cover.

Capitalism: God's way of determining who is smart and who is poor!

I take serious of fence to this whole thread!

Of course I am joking. I see nothing wrong with bigger guys playing and prospering in the sport.

Like others have said, big guys in NFL, MLB has big guys too, NBA, I'm sure they have a couple bigger fellas too.

I'm sorry that your view of how credible a sport is is based on the waistline of the participants, seems kind of narrow minded.

But I'm sure you're a great guy, so I'll cut you some slack.

Although many PGA Tour players are fitter than ones from 30 years ago, U.S. golfers as a group are much fatter than they were in 1980. Obesity rates in the U.S. went from 15% in 1980 to over 35% today. The average American adult is 24 pounds heavier than in 1960. Type 2 diabetes has more than doubled in the U.S. since 1995 with obesity as the major reason for the increase. I read an article recently from the National Institute of Health that our funding problems with Social Security may be partially solved by a decrease in the life expectancy over the next few decades due to all the overweight and obese Americans.

I remember growing up playing golf in the late 1970's when it seemed a great majority of golfers walked - now it seems more than half of golfers ride. Very sad that people don't take their heath more seriously.

More people ride because courses won't let you walk.

They may be larger, but golf is still a sport. They often still maintain incredible core strength from the thousands of balls they hit, and they still are walking a course 5 days a week.

~Rock

Only some resort course don't let you walk, and I have walked several "ride only" resort courses after asking nicely. As long as you don't hold up play, most don't mind if you walk.

Back