My Swing (early1981)

early1981

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys here is a slow mo video of my swing. My main problem is getting height in my shots and consistently hitting the ball good. I can hit a good shot then my next 4 or 5 shots you would think I have never played golf before in my life lol. It is getting very frustrating but I will continue putting myself through hell to improve my game. Any tips or advice anyone can give me to improve my game would be amazing. Cheers:at-wits-end:

I'll throw a few basics at you to get you started.

You'll want to start with posture first. You are hunching over with your shoulders vs bending from the waste. This restricts your turn and gives you very little room to make an athletic move. For posture just stand up strait, bend forward from the "hips", and then bend knees. You can Youtube correct posture for further info.

Now, the second basic move you can work on is taking the club back on plane. You're pulling the club way inside on your takeaway causing you to reroute over the top on the downswing. Fixing your posture by bending at the waste will help with this some of the inside move. Holding you address angles while rotating your body back will help the rest.

Just workout the posture first and then move to being on plane.

Thank you for taking the time to watch my video and giving me feedback. I will def make sure I work on what you have given me. Cheers

I'll throw a few basics at you to get you started.

You'll want to start with posture first. You are hunching over with your shoulders vs bending from the waste. This restricts your turn and gives you very little room to make an athletic move. For posture just stand up strait, bend forward from the "hips", and then bend knees. You can Youtube correct posture for further info.

Now, the second basic move you can work on is taking the club back on plane. You're pulling the club way inside on your takeaway causing you to reroute over the top on the downswing. Fixing your posture by bending at the waste will help with this some of the inside move. Holding you address angles while rotating your body back will help the rest.

Just workout the posture first and then move to being on plane.
Can you explain how you keep the club on plane? What do you mean by hold the angle at address?

I worked on my posture a ton last year. Biggest "ah ha!" moment came when I read an article that talked about the golf posture being "athletic, similar to a Quarterback taking a shotgun snap"

Straight spine
bent at the hips, not the waist
knees slightly bent
weight on the balls of your feet

Can you explain how you keep the club on plane? What do you mean by hold the angle at address?

I believe CK is saying don't yank the club back with your hands/arms. Let the body rotation do most of the work early in the backswing

I believe CK is saying don't yank the club back with your hands/arms. Let the body rotation do most of the work early in the backswing

Ok, explain this for me. What part of the body should be used?

Looks ok...get a mat, hitting off the front yard never allows that stuff to grow back this time of year

No need to be condescending.

Shoulder turn is key, and he cannot turn his shoulders with his current posture.

I am asking questions for greater clarity. Nothing I asked was condescending. I want the OP to know exactly how to achieve what was posted.

I worked on my posture a ton last year. Biggest "ah ha!" moment came when I read an article that talked about the golf posture being "athletic, similar to a Quarterback taking a shotgun snap"

Straight spine
bent at the hips, not the waist
knees slightly bent
weight on the balls of your feet

FWIW, Bubba says to keep the weight on the heels. My instructor explained it to me this way, if you're weight stays forward, the swing will be shallower. If the weight stays back, the swing will be more upright, like Bubba's. Weight migrating between back and front is the issue.

FWIW, Bubba says to keep the weight on the heels. My instructor explained it to me this way, if you're weight stays forward, the swing will be shallower. If the weight stays back, the swing will be more upright, like Bubba's. Weight migrating between back and front is the issue.
This is not something I would ever teach. Bubba Watson has a homemade swing that needs all of his moving parts to work. Traditional posture and stance will not work with Bubba.

If you keep the weight on heels it's difficult to get off the right side of left, depending on what hand you swing with. Balls of your feet allows you to be athletic. Would you shot free throws from your heels or through a ball from your heels? No, there would be no power or limited power. Same goes for the golf swing.

This is not something I would ever teach. Bubba Watson has a homemade swing that needs all of his moving parts to work. Traditional posture and stance will not work with Bubba.

If you keep the weight on heels it's difficult to get off the right side of left, depending on what hand you swing with. Balls of your feet allows you to be athletic. Would you shot free throws from your heels or through a ball from your heels? No, there would be no power or limited power. Same goes for the golf swing.

I agree completely. Just trying to expand on Bubba's thought / side note why is he allowed to give swing advice in a golf publication? / I am not a proponent of his swing ideas.

I agree completely. Just trying to expand on Bubba's thought / side note why is he allowed to give swing advice in a golf publication? / I am not a proponent of his swing ideas.
Because he is a PGA tour superstar.

Because he is a PGA tour superstar.

And sells magazines. But that is not the point of this thread..........

Posture tips? How to find the right posture?

Ok, explain this for me. What part of the body should be used?

Sorry for the slow response Freddie, was stuck in a meeting =)

Originally I wanted the OP to work out the posture part as this was an easier explanation vs the mechanics of swinging on plane. Sometimes just standing correctly will work out the persons natural plane. The original post went unanswered for a few days so I figured I would respond with something simple to get the OP moving in the right direction.

I didn't want to go into length about exactly how to take the club back on plane because there are a few schools of thought on this and the forum is labeled "Swing tips with Freddie Kong". I did not want to overstep my bounds by describing my theories on this move. I only felt I should respond to the OP as I didn't want him to feel unwelcome here.

For how I prefer to take the club back on plane, I just make a 90 degree rotation of my shoulder with a slight pivot over my right side keeping the club out in front of me rotating around my body. I try to keep the lower body as quiet as possible and the weight distribution about 60% to the inside of my right foot.

I get some hip rotation to reach 90* but not so much that my right leg straitens, I like to make sure I keep as much flex in my right knee as possible. I prefer to keep the wrist angles I have at address (hands hanging strait down club angle at about 140*) and not intentionally add additional wrist cock. It works for me since I have a strong grip and start with a slight forward press.

Hope that came out right, I'm working on trying to explain golf mechanics as well as you but sometimes it doesn't come out well in the written form. :act-up:

Bubba is just a natural,, he does things in his swing,,that if us mere mortals tried it. We might end up in the hospital,

Back