your thoughts on GI Irons comparison -G25, X2 Hot, AP2

Essex.UK

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi,

For the last 5 years I have played with a set of original AP2's with project X 5.5 shafts (5- PW).
I play off 19 (was 17) However due to a left knee injury I now have to accept I cannot put the time in to get my game where it needs to be for these irons ( I have also lost my overall strength).

I am therefore looking for something more forgiving to make golf more enjoyable again and would like your thoughts on the above irons from those of you who have hit them or have them.

I have tried to Ping and got on well with it, also really liked it with a graphite shaft. I have yet to track down the X2 or AP2.

Look forward to hearing your feedback.

regards

Nick

I'm currently testing the PING i25's for THP and feel they give more forgiveness than the original AP2's. It's a club in the GI field you can grow into as your hdcp gets better as well.

Head over to the thread and read up on them over here THP PING i25 Test Thread

The ap2 is not as forgiving as a true GI club would be.

Why not the AP1? SpeedBlade is probably my other favorite.

Why not the AP1? SpeedBlade is probably my other favorite.

Your work on the Karsten irons makes me want them.

They are a fun set. You don't need that kind of high ball help though.

They are a fun set. You don't need that kind of high ball help though.

Forgiveness help. High and straight might be fun. Can I get C-Tapers for those?

They are a custom option. Might need a shim though.

Nick, I played the G25s for a good chunk of last year, and like them a good bit. I found them "easier on the eyes" than prior G-series sets. Like a G-series iron, though, they are pretty darn forgiving and high-launching. The way they modified the sole helped the turf interaction, in my opinion. I have only hit the X2Hot irons indoors, on a launch monitor. I liked the sound/feel of the G25s better, and I like the CFS shaft, too (though, you are looking at graphite options). But, I found the X2Hot to be longer, even when trying to match-up the lofts (I was hitting my G25 6 iron versus the X2Hot 7 iron and was seeing a few more yards with the Callaways).

Cleveland Altitudes. Try them.

Thanks Rambler, the pings were certainly longer and launched higher than my ap2s. I will definetily try the callaways, I would like to the the Apexes as well. I have found a club fitter with a launch monitor who deals with ping mizuno callaway and taylormade (still hard to find people with launch monitors in the uk). It's just a shame he does not do titleist so I could do a big back to back test.

oh and my main miss is a thin shot as I take very little divot.

For me, low face misses are best with the SpeedBlade. Great iron for that miss.

Give the Mizuno JPX EZ's a try, they are long and forgiving. Easy to launch but can hit them low if needed just high, straight and long. I am enjoying the forgiveness and watching my handicap go down with these irons. Far more accurate than I deserve on a lot of swings great irons.

I will certainly try them Hawk and the JPX EX too. I am will to try them all to find something that makes the game easier and less painful on the body !!

I am will to try them all to find something that makes the game easier and less painful on the body !!

That is the key make the game as easy as you can golf is already hard so why not help yourself out
The SpeedBlades and the G25 are 2 of my favorite GI irons i have hit

G25s are great, I have been gaming them since the fall. So easy to launch. Speedblades had great numbers for me as well, I just preferred the feel of the G25s.

I tried just about all the GI irons and for me, I went with the Mizuno JPX825s. It came down to the Titleist AP1 or the Mizunos. I prefered the 'head-heavy' feel of the mizzys vs. neutral feel of the AP1, but the AP1 was a close second. The AP1s also were a little higher and I live on the coast and have to deal with wind regularly, but that may have been the shaft. The 5.5 was one of the shafts I was fitted for but I ended up with the DG S300. I would give both these clubs a swing.

I tried just about all the GI irons and for me, I went with the Mizuno JPX825s. It came down to the Titleist AP1 or the Mizunos. I prefered the 'head-heavy' feel of the mizzys vs. neutral feel of the AP1, but the AP1 was a close second. The AP1s also were a little higher and I live on the coast and have to deal with wind regularly, but that may have been the shaft. The 5.5 was one of the shafts I was fitted for but I ended up with the DG S300. I would give both these clubs a swing.

good input here. I went the other way. I looked at the AP2 and the AP1 was more forgiving.

Thanks for all the replies. Do you all try to get fitted on proper launch monitor?

The ap2 is not as forgiving as a true GI club would be.

This is exactly what I was going to say. The AP 2 is a players iron with added forgiveness. That's how I would characterize it anyways.

For me, low face misses are best with the SpeedBlade. Great iron for that miss.

The Apex irons are pretty darn close, if not better. I am not a fan of the SpeedBlades, though. I hit the snot out of them when they came out, trying to like them but just couldn't. Plus, I made a $500 bet with my friends that I wouldn't by them (I'm a club ho....and a big time ho for TMaG stuff). I'm not sure how the low miss on the SB feels, but I can say that the Apex makes it feel like a pure shot and you aren't penalized as much.

Both the Bladez/Blade saw 1000's of balls on the monitor, so I can speak to them pretty well, but the Apex was one I hit just a handful of times. Definitely a set I'd like more time with, but probably not going to happen at this point.

These 825s would be my suggestion. Played with my buddy's father-in-law this weekend who used to play on the Euro tour and these are what he currently plays. Loves them.

I find myself in the same boat as I love the AP2s but would like something a LITTLE bit more helpful. I like a narrow sole though, and it is tough to find a GI iron and a narrow sole.

These 825s would be my suggestion. Played with my buddy's father-in-law this weekend who used to play on the Euro tour and these are what he currently plays. Loves them.

I find myself in the same boat as I love the AP2s but would like something a LITTLE bit more helpful. I like a narrow sole though, and it is tough to find a GI iron and a narrow sole.

I made a similar disssion last season i choose Rocketbladez tour which were a great combo for me

Back