Official 2014 World Cup Thread (Spoilers)

GO Germany!

I couldn't agree with that sentiment less! They are however my pick to become the first European team to lift the World Cup in South America.

Well, the good news is that England's opener has been moved. The bad news it's still in Manus, it's the time that has been moved. It's been bought forward to accommodate European TV. It's been bought forward 4 hours so they'll be playing in the heat of the day. Ignore what I said earlier. FIFA are idiots!!!!

I do not know England can go far in the World Cup. But his spirit will be retained in the hearts of the fans. That is Yuecuoyueyong. Come on! England!
By the way. I like your football shirts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not know England can go far in the World Cup. But his spirit will be retained in the hearts of the fans. That is Yuecuoyueyong. Come on! England!
By the way. I like your football shirts.

They probably aren't even get out of the group, but at least I'm expecting them to crash and burn this year rather than expecting big things and being hugely disappointed as is the usual way :lol: (and the national shirt is a little too like the German shirt for me :D)

2014 FIFA World Cup

2014 FIFA World Cup

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/

Schedule:
http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tou...matchschedule_wgroups_13012014_en_neutral.pdf

719px-WC-2014-Brasil.svg.png

Such a great commercial:

If I read that schedule and google'd it right, it looks like Cuiaba and Manaus have the same time as Eastern Daylight Time in the US, while the other venues are one hour earlier.

Guess I should schedule my half day vacation for Thursday, June 26th now for the US/Germany game.

If I read that schedule and google'd it right, it looks like Cuiaba and Manaus have the same time as Eastern Daylight Time in the US, while the other venues are one hour earlier.

Guess I should schedule my half day vacation for Thursday, June 26th now for the US/Germany game.
I got lost in the color coded grid!!!

Group of death :(

I'm excited, that I can watch most of the US World Cup Games :)

I've never been much of a soccer fan, but the World Cup always seems to draw me in. I'll watch a few of the games for sure.

Group of Death -- so true. Germany is always a factor in the final four, Portugal just came close in the Euro final four, Ghana and the US both made the final 16 last time. Should be fun to watch -- I'll be rooting for the USA even though (probably because) my kids will be for Germany.

Halifax being pretty diverse for its size is a really cool spot to be for the World Cup. Insane how many sport bars broadcast every second of it. Look forward to spending some time on the patios this year with a beer or two enjoying the action.

My family is 1/2 Portuguese (2nd generation in America), and I live in the epicenter of the Portuguese migration to the US, therefore I'll be rooting for both USA and Portugal.

Can someone merge this up with the thread that I started back in December during the World Cup Draw?

Can someone merge this up with the thread that I started back in December during the World Cup Draw?

Sorry buddy, I did a search and nothing came up.

Done! Sorry, I was golfing today and just now saw the thread!

Done! Sorry, I was golfing today and just now saw the thread!

No worries Smalls, thanks, I don't know why me and search can't get along!

Great commercial:

With the Premier League over, all talk switches to the World Cup! From an English perspective, Roy Hodgson has just announced his 23 man squad. I like that he's gone for youth. It's been a long time since I've been so pessimistic about our chances (of even getting passed the group stage) so this is totally the right call as far as I'm concerned.

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Manchester City), Ben Foster (West Bromwich Albion), Fraser Forster (Celtic).

Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Luke Shaw (Southampton), Chris Smalling (Manchester United).

Midfielders: Ross Barkley (Everton), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Southampton), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), James Milner (Manchester City), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Raheem Sterling (Liverpool), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal).

Strikers: Rickie Lambert (Southampton), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Danny Welbeck (Manchester United).

Oh man rosters are starting to get released! We are getting close. Can't wait! Go USA! #USMNT

OK, with the World Cup less than a month away and teams playing their final WC warm ups, I think it's time to get this thread really fired up, so here we go.....

1. Who will win the World Cup
2. Who do you want to win it, and why?
3. Which player will win the golden boot (top scorer)
4. Who will be the biggest disappointment of the tournament?
5. Which nation will be the dark horse of the tournament?

1. Argentina
2. England for obvious reasons
3. Messi
4. Personally, England. However, I think Brazil won't live up to the expectations of a home WC.
5. Uruguay.

I can't imagine Germany not being in the final match, so they are my pick
2. Who do you want to win it, and why? USA. would love to see this in my lifetime
3. Which player will win the golden boot (top scorer) Ronaldo
4. Who will be the biggest disappointment of the tournament? Spain
5. Which nation will be the dark horse of the tournament? I lean Mexico bc I think they do get out of the first round.

Last edited:
OK, with the World Cup less than a month away and teams playing their final WC warm ups, I think it's time to get this thread really fired up, so here we go.....

2. Who do you want to win it, and why?
3. Which player will win the golden boot (top scorer)
4. Who will be the biggest disappointment of the tournament?
5. Which nation will be the dark horse of the tournament?

1. Argentina
2. England for obvious reasons
3. Messi
4. Personally, England. However, I think Brazil won't live up to the expectations of a home WC.
5. Uruguay.

For me...
1. Brazil
2. England
3. Neymar
4. England
5. Belgium

sadly can't see England getting out of the group, nor the USA...
we will see

Back