Official 2014 World Cup Thread (Spoilers)

No surprise. Sepp Blatter loves him some Messi

I forgot to add in Columbia. There are perhaps 2 South American teams I can see having trouble clearing group stage, and that's Uruguay and Chile, not exactly powerhouse sides to begin with. Every South American side that's ever been relevant got nearly hand-picked draws.

Imagine if FIFA did the NCAA basketball tournament selection. Duke/Kentucky first round matchup!

Can the US just bow out and let Wales take their place? Just so we can see Gareth Bale and Aaron Ramsey on a global stage

There's a very good reason why you never see Gareth Bale or Aaron Ramsey on the world stage!!!

Am I the only one that kind of likes our draw?

Sure, Ghana has our number. But we have to beat them soon right? We have more talent than them. A better coach now. It's our time to avenge that game.

Portugal is a one man team. And that man is as hot as ever at the moment. But he always struggles in World Cups for whatever reason. Keep him silent and we have a good chance.

Germany. Klinsmann? He knows EVERY player on that team. He knows their tactics, their style of play, and they intend to exploit us. He will make us frustrate them and wear them down.

Guys, isn't this classic USA? When the odds are not in our favor, don't we always rise to the occasion? We got this guys. We can get out of this group.

As a non-american and a Canadian who, man, our team is horrible. There's a bit of bias in this post.....a lot actually haha. Sorry JT, but take the blinders off.

Oh great! It gets worse for England! The best we can realistically hope for is runner up. That will pitch us against the winners of group B. Hello Spain!!!

The US on the other hand. Should the miracle of miracles happen, they play the winner/runner up of group E, the weakest group in the competition!

As a non-american and a Canadian who, man, our team is horrible. There's a bit of bias in this post.....a lot actually haha. Sorry JT, but take the blinders off.

I can be optimistic no? Gotta think positive. If we go into it expecting 3 losses, then shame on us for not getting behind our team and showing a little belief.

Am I the only one that kind of likes our draw?

Sure, Ghana has our number. But we have to beat them soon right? We have more talent than them. A better coach now. It's our time to avenge that game.

Portugal is a one man team. And that man is as hot as ever at the moment. But he always struggles in World Cups for whatever reason. Keep him silent and we have a good chance.

Germany. Klinsmann? He knows EVERY player on that team. He knows their tactics, their style of play, and they intend to exploit us. He will make us frustrate them and wear them down.

Guys, isn't this classic USA? When the odds are not in our favor, don't we always rise to the occasion? We got this guys. We can get out of this group.

Frozen-pool-cannonball-dive.gif

There's a very good reason why you never see Gareth Bale or Aaron Ramsey on the world stage!!!

You're right. Ramsey and Bale are the only two proper footballers left in Wales.

The more I think of Portugal, they are an injury away from being mediocre. Even with Ronaldo, they needed a playoff win to make the Cup

I can be optimistic no? Gotta think positive. If we go into it expecting 3 losses, then shame on us for not getting behind our team and showing a little belief.

I think you guys can battle a W against Ghana. The thing is Portugal is no longer just a one man team like in years past and Germany....well, it's the Germans.

It's unfortunate that the US got caught where they are. I like seeing you guys do well in everything (except hockey).

Oh great! It gets worse for England! The best we can realistically hope for is runner up. That will pitch us against the winners of group B. Hello Spain!!!

The US on the other hand. Should the miracle of miracles happen, they play the winner/runner up of group E, the weakest group in the competition!

You realize this is 100% wrong? Say that the US gets 2nd place in their group G, they would play the winner of Group H. England is in Group E, they would play a Group F team in the round of 16 if they advance. Enjoy that round of 16 match vs. Argentina. You'll see the Hand of God goal replayed 1000000 times.

What a bad draw

I think you guys can battle a W against Ghana. The thing is Portugal is no longer just a one man team like in years past and Germany....well, it's the Germans.

It's unfortunate that the US got caught where they are. I like seeing you guys do well in everything (except hockey).

Portugal's not a one man team? Remind who scored all 4 goals in the Sweden matches?

I don't fear anyone on that team except Ronaldo. And neither should the US Squad.

Portugal's not a one man team? Remind who scored all 4 goals in the Sweden matches?

I don't fear anyone on that team except Ronaldo. And neither should the US Squad.

You're going to pick out one match to talk about your opinion? I'm not here to argue, just that Portugal is deeper now down the field than in past WCs. It's not all about scoring.

You're going to pick out one match to talk about your opinion? I'm not here to argue, just that Portugal is deeper now down the field than in past WCs. It's not all about scoring.
I'm not trying to argue. I was just making a point. Debate a little bit.

You realize this is 100% wrong? Say that the US gets 2nd place in their group G, they would play the winner of Group H. England is in Group E, they would play a Group F team in the round of 16 if they advance. Enjoy that round of 16 match vs. Argentina. You'll see the Hand of God goal replayed 1000000 times.

Send me the link. I'm looking at the fifa page and it's showing groups D and B in the next round. Spain, Argentina, either way we're going home

From the former oddsmaker at Caesars

We'll have a battle ahead of us.

Portugal need 4 goals in two playoff games from Ronaldo to qualify. As I think of it. They might not be THAT good/deep

I don't think very many people would ever have taken USMNT to win the cup. Right now we're debating their clearing group stage.

Send me the link. I'm looking at the fifa page and it's showing groups D and B in the next round. Spain, Argentina, either way we're going home

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/kostage.html

Also, you're sleeping on Uruguay in Group E. Have you see what Luis Suarez has been doing recently? Also, don't forget that Forlan is on that squad as well. Uruguay and Italy have to be the favorites in that group.

Ok. Got the link! The fifa chart was a bit vague.
So, you realize you're 200% wrong! England are in group D! That means if we finish runners up, we play probably Columbia or Greece. I'll take that!
And not sleeping on Uruguay at all. I know fully they are gonna be tough to beat, more so in South America. I won't be putting a penny on the result, that's how un confident I am, I'm just hoping England can grind a result against them.

Upside: US clears group stage, round of 16 is against winner of group H, arguably the weakest group in the draw. I like our chances against Belgium or Russia far more than any side we play against in the group.

Ok. Got the link! The fifa chart was a bit vague.
So, you realize you're 200% wrong! England are in group D! That means if we finish runners up, we play probably Columbia or Greece. I'll take that!

Damn it! I'm an idiot.

I guess I'm going to be an optimist like JTnumbers as well. I reserve the right to change that opinion if the USA doesn't get 3 points against Ghana.

Full schedule of the group stage matches are here: http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/calendar.html

Portugal need 4 goals in two playoff games from Ronaldo to qualify. As I think of it. They might not be THAT good/deep

Never said they were going to win the whole thing, just that they're not a one man team. They have arguably one of the top midfields and they're back field is getting there. It's not just about scoring goals last time I checked. I still don't think the US will beat them.

Ok, let's all be positive! Let's assume the US finishes runners up in their group and England do likewise (I think that's the best we can hope for). The US and England would eventually meet in the.............. final!!! Hurrah!! I see England winning that 25 - 0! :lol:

Never said they were going to win the whole thing, just that they're not a one man team. They have arguably one of the top midfields and they're back field is getting there. It's not just about scoring goals last time I checked. I still don't think the US will beat them.

Scoring goals is first and foremost. If Portugal was that good, they wouldn't have needed a playoff to qualify.

Back