PING i25 Irons - Review Thread

The PING i25 6i I broke into a tree is on it's way back home to Arizona for fixing. Total cost was $37 which wasn't bad at all. PING has all my specs for the club so all I had to do was write a reference number on the box and send it in. Should come back matching my set perfectly. Now I just need to wait for this oddball snow we had here in D.C. on Monday to melt so I can get these clubs back on the course!

The PING i25 6i I broke into a tree is on it's way back home to Arizona for fixing. Total cost was $37 which wasn't bad at all. PING has all my specs for the club so all I had to do was write a reference number on the box and send it in. Should come back matching my set perfectly. Now I just need to wait for this oddball snow we had here in D.C. on Monday to melt so I can get these clubs back on the course!

As unfortunate as it was to break that shaft, it's nice to see how reasonable it is to get repairs made.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

That sucks but i am sure with pings customer service it will be back in no time

PING's turnaround time is phenomenal, glad youre sending it in.

Need to send my set in to get the lie adjusted sometime. Hmmmm...

Enjoying the updates while I'm here on vacay, keep them coming gents.

As unfortunate as it was to break that shaft, it's nice to see how reasonable it is to get repairs made.
That sucks but i am sure with pings customer service it will be back in no time
PING's turnaround time is phenomenal, glad youre sending it in.

Need to send my set in to get the lie adjusted sometime. Hmmmm...

Enjoying the updates while I'm here on vacay, keep them coming gents.

I go above and beyond to test all aspects of a golf club :alien:. PING customer service was very nice on the phone, they were sad I missed the putt after pulling off the shot I broke the club for.

The shot was a 140 yards to a center pin and I was stuck next to a tree and behind another low hanging branch. I pulled the 6i so I could hit a soft punch to get under the branches but still carry the green side bunker. I ended up pulling off the shot but didn't stop the follow through fast enough to avoid the tree.

Shot sounded like whack (ball) whack (tree) ahhhh! (me) nice shot (playing partners). If I made the put it would have been worth the $37 =)... eh, it was worth it anyway, sometimes you just gotta try and pull of the impossible shots!

The shot was a 140 yards to a center pin and I was stuck next to a tree and behind another low hanging branch. I pulled the 6i so I could hit a soft punch to get under the branches but still carry the green side bunker. I ended up pulling off the shot but didn't stop the follow through fast enough to avoid the tree.

I have had similar shots to that if i think i might hit some thing i will move my ball to be clear of the obstruction. I don't get payed to play so i figure why pay to fix equipment good see ping is going to take care of it for you

Returned to Jacksonville today after a few days up in Hilton Head for the first Bridgestone Invitational of 2014. I did play the Friday practice round with the i25’s but will be reviewing my round from today.

Previous Reviews:
Review #1

Set make up: 4-LW
Shaft: Graphite TFC 189I
Flex: Stiff
Length: +1”
Lie: Orange Dot, 2* Flat
Grip: PING 360 id8 - Standard White

Date: 3/18/14
Weather: 60* Overcast, Minimal wind, extremely wet conditions

GENERAL THOUGHTS:

This was the first time getting out on my home course with the PING i25’s. There was lots of rain the past two days so the course was walking only and the range was closed. It took a few holes warmed up, but when I did, these irons did not disappoint. Ended up shooting 81, 44/37 at Bent Creek, a Par 71 course.

Ball Flight:
I continued to see a mid-high to high ball flight, which I am liking. The ball gets up in the air effortlessly off the face and carries very well. I was missing left more than usual due to aiming left anticipating playing a slight fade. I think this is due to the offset but was not overcooking them by any means.

Feel:
Well struck shots feel amazing. Nice and soft feedback. The shot that stood out to me the most was on the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] hole. Tee shot went left to the tree line and had to punch out to the fairway, leaving myself 190 to the middle of green. Took the 5 iron and struck it very well. The trajectory was a nice mid-flight flying right over the pin and landed on the green ~ 10ft from the hole.

Spoiler
13255226283_0d0129eddc_z.jpg

Distance:
I am seeing distances right where I would I typically play, 140 PW, 150 9i, 160 8i, which is very nice to see. Had quite a few of these distances today and club selection was pretty much always what I wanted. The 16[SUP]th[/SUP] hole was playing around 130 today and hit the U wedge off the tee, ending up pin high, just left of the green. Used the LW for the chip and managing to get up and down for the par.

Forgiveness:
I am enjoying the forgiveness of the i25’s thus far. Hole 12 is a short 300yd par 4. Used the 5 iron off the tee and hit it a tad chunky. The shot ended up in the fairway, leaving about 140yds to the green and stayed on line. Hole 14 is a 225yd par 3 and I again chunked the 4 iron. Seeing the distance loss and missed right a bit but the ball stays in play which is huge. I left myself about 30yds to the green and atop a mound. Pulled the PW and played a bump and run. I actually holed the shot for a birdie which was fun.

PW chip in on 14:
Spoiler
13255083505_069f6d44a3_c.jpg

Workability:
I am finding these irons to be highly workable, was able to play a right to left shot shape today which is pretty difficult for me. The fade was there when I needed it but was not as substantial as it usually is with some other irons I have played.

Additional thoughts:
I am really liking the lightweight graphite shaft pairing with the i25 irons.
Distance is right where I would expect on well struck shots.
Only issue so far I have is the stock grip. Not a fan of the rubber material and would anticipate these being quite slippery in the summer months here in FL.

Great Review Troy. I wish I could have hit them this last weekend. I am going to take a whack soon. Keep up the awesome reviews.

Nice write up troy, can't wait to hear how they work for you as you get more time in.

This is not the first time I have used set wedges as I was also fortunate enough to do the forum review on the i20's and actually had the set wedges with WRX grinds on them. That said, in OK during the summer we get true hard pan...a lot...and while I could see myself swapping the LW for a lower bounced 58 in those summer dog days, the SW is a lot of fun out of the sand and on partial swings, I can def see keeping them in the bag at least part of the time, we shall see. Letting the bounce work had opened eyes more though, fact.

I used the set wedges a lot during today's round. Pitches w/ the U and chipping w/ the W. Even used the Lob on 18 for a flop off a tight lie. Didn't have an issue opening the face and popping the ball up. I am liking the i25 set wedges.

I used the set wedges a lot during today's round. Pitches w/ the U and chipping w/ the W. Even used the Lob on 18 for a flop off a tight lie. Didn't have an issue opening the face and popping the ball up. I am liking the i25 set wedges.

Thats some confidence there sir. The set wedges are a very nice addition. I had no issue practicing with them. I jist imahined it would be harder to pull off shots like that sith them. Thanks for the info.

Thats some confidence there sir. The set wedges are a very nice addition. I had no issue practicing with them. I jist imahined it would be harder to pull off shots like that sith them. Thanks for the info.

People overthink set wedges as for what they can have done with them just because they are "set wedges" and for some reason that carries a stigma. Most are guilty of it, I have been at times for sure.

Couple of nice recovery shots, Troy, and a solid round. How was the turf interaction in the wet conditions?

Couple of nice recovery shots, Troy, and a solid round. How was the turf interaction in the wet conditions?

I didn't hit a thin shot all day, I did hit a few fat. But most were solid contact, just a little left of target. A few of the solid contact shots were pretty steep and when I hit the turf, my right hand got jarred a little.

My i25s have shipped!!! Woohoo!

People overthink set wedges as for what they can have done with them just because they are "set wedges" and for some reason that carries a stigma. Most are guilty of it, I have been at times for sure.

Its funny but I know im there. Not saying anything negative about set wedges, just never tried them. The little I have with these is very nice. Ill be playing 36 sunday to make up for the rained out 18 tuesday. Very excited to review this entire set on the course.

Playing now from shorter tees so I am just playing the irons. These clubs are not short by any means as I have flew the first 3 greens I hit irons into before I started to club down.

Tap Tap Taparoo

I spent some time pitching with my PW and AW today. This is the first time I've bought a set wedge. I nearly bought the SW but decided to try out the AW first. All things considered I should have bought a cavity back wedge a long time ago. My miss is on the toe and these wedge really help with that shot compared to my blade GW (Cleveland GC10). When I struck it pure it was straight high and soft even on my 3/4 shots. I was really looking forward to getting fitted for some Vokeys but this is making me second guess that idea. Now stuck in ponder mode. Currently thinking of adding i25 SW vs some Cleveland CB wedges which I have not yet had a chance to hit

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Previous Entries:
First Post: Initial Thoughts - Click Here
Second Post: U Wedge Thoughts - Click Here
Third Post: First 9 holes - Click Here
Fourth Post: Range Time - Click Here
Fifth Post: Chambers Bay Round - Click Here

Location Details:
3/19/2014
StoneCreeck Golf Course
78* and calm
Bridgestone e6

General Thoughts:

Was great being back in Arizona to play some golf. I chose to play up a bit so that I would only be hitting the irons.

Long/Mid irons: I hit 4 iron off the tee on all of the par 4s and never really was able to get it clicking perfectly. Distance wise it just was not there today but that was more my swing. I hit the 5 iron great on the first par 3 but it carried way longer than I expected and flew over the pin. Basically I wasn't getting all the distance out of the 4 that I expected but every shot was nice and straight. I did get the 4 iron out 200 yards on the 9th hole which was nice considering it had cooled down so I wasn't getting the full distance. Tried to squeeze the 7 iron 180 yards and landed just short of where I wanted to land the ball and rolled back into a bunker.

Short Irons/Full Wedges: Wow were these clubs perfect today...Too perfect. I flew the first green, flew the 3rd green, flew the 4th green, and flew the 6th green. I tried to hit 9 iron on the 5th hole which was a 155 yard par 3 and surprisingly was pin high considering I struggled to get 145 out of the R7 that is stronger lofted. On the par 5 7th I hit a UW from 117 yards just to the right of the flagstick which again shocked me. On the 8th I pulled out the PW from 135 and hit a gorgeous shot that just didn't draw enough and caught the bunker right before the pin (1 yard left or longer and it would have been perfect). I missed a lot of greens today but was able to get up and down every time. Really loving the LW in this set.

Feel: I still love how soft these clubs feel on well struck shots. The graphite shafts are far better than I expected and are holding up very well.

Distance:
From 8-UW were going very long for me today compared to what I was expecting. Contact wasn't great with the 4 iron but I still was hitting it a manageable distance.

Forgiveness:
Shots were all very straight today. I hit one off the toe with the 4 iron and it still was right where I aimed just a little short.

Workability:
I didn't try to work the ball a lot today I just focused on trying to attack the pins.

Extra Findings:

I was a little off on distances today but was loving the shape of the shots. Going to switch to a spin ball next round so I can get a better grasp on things and see just how well these can hold greens.

Here is the pitch shot from the second hole. Had a lovely cart path aided 270 yard 4 iron that left this shot in:

And the result:
2wf1g5j.jpg

Finally having some decent rounds after a swing tweak is starting to kick in. I played in a good wind today. I am using the KBS Tour V and the combo of that shaft and this i25 head is a great one.

I'm loving your pink ball c0ncept. I wish the Tour B330's came in that color as well, would match my pink grips.

One thing I'm also loving is how high the i25's hit thin shots compared to my blades. I hit a thin half ball 4i off the tee and I didn't even know I miss hit the shot that poorly until I looked at the ball mark on my club (was almost less than half a ball). Shot just flew out a good distance with a nice medium ball flight.

I'm loving the i25's forgiveness without the overly springy face I loathe in most GI clubs.

So finally had some time last night to hit some chip shots wedges. The course was closed Tuesday due to flooding and its been too pretty after work not to swing.

The course was closing when I got there but left the chipping green open untill dark.

The first 20 balls were from the fringe. Different locarion to the same hole. I hit ten with the s and 10 with the l. Being as they are fresh grooves I figured they would spin well. I was correct.

The take away from just the short fringe chipping was not one time did I hit it fat. Something I can occasionally do with my wedges.

Next distance was at 20 yards. I practiced from two opposite sides of the green. This gave me a shot that has some role out room and one thar need to stop quickly.

I used the same s and l clubs from these distances. Again with 20 ball. 5 from each location with each club.

Im not much of a lob wedge chipper, I prefer to let the ball roll more than on the air. For testing purposed I tried with average results. Made decent contact just had no feel for the shots..not the clubs fault.

The sandwedge was money. Being that its 2 degrees stronger than mine the roll out was a little longer. I pit one in the cup :)

It was getting dark so I disnt have much more time. I went out to about 45 yards, dropped all 20 balls and grabbed the L. I setup on the side with the flag closest. Had about 3 yards from the fringe to the flag.

Out of the 20, 17 stayed on the green. 2 short and one was looong..may have slightly bladed it :)

Impressions of the wedges for shortgame.

They are suprising to me for being a set wedge. Im not going to lie, I figured id find something that they wouldnt do well. I didn't. Im still not completly sold on them over a forged wedge, but the needle moved some.

The way they sound and feel you immediately know if you hit the shot in the center of the club. On a few chip shots I swung with my eyes closed to just hear the ball ( its a drill thing I do while practicing) I could tell if it was center cutt or too one side of the clubface.

Sunday I have a round, two on Wednesday and another important round next Sunday..
I will be very critical on these irons.

Just hit them to compare with my I15s. Could NOT believe the feel and trajectory difference. At least a club 'higher' ball flight, nearly a club longer with stock shafts, and significantly softer. Still stunned. They'll be in my bag shortly.

Just hit them to compare with my I15s. Could NOT believe the feel and trajectory difference. At least a club 'higher' ball flight, nearly a club longer with stock shafts, and significantly softer. Still stunned. They'll be in my bag shortly.

Which shafts are in your i15's?

Sorry if this has already been asked but how do these compare to the Titleist AP2, particularly with regards to forgiveness on thin shots (I play the original AP2's).
Thanks

Nick

Back