Odyssey protype tour vs black tour design vs Scotty kombi s

Jmilla

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm in the market for a new putter and am trying to find some opinions on these. Anyone like these at all? Can anyone offer their experiences with them?

I still have both of the Odyssey putters that you mentioned, and used them each for a full season. I felt that the tungsten on the Tour Design gave me a slightly more stable feel than the Protype. The roll off of the face with each one was very smooth, but I saw that the Tour Design was a little better at getting the ball rolling more efficiently on long putts and on slower greens.

I absolutely love my protype black. Rolls very nicely for me. I cant see myself dropping it any time soon

I think there are more enticing offerings. Out of the options in the OP, ProType Tour is probably my choice. Of the three.

I have tried both of the Odyssey putters listed but not that particular Scotty. I preferred the Tour Design. It felt comparable to a Scotty with the deep milling. I wasn't crazy about the tungsten weight being attached with screws instead of just having a solid piece of milled steel.

I have not rolled many odyessey putters but I have owned and gamed a Scotty Kombi S. I loved it! Thought it was a very stable putter throughout the stroke and was simple to align. It also happened to look nice at address.

That being said putters are the most personal club in the bag. Gotta go with your gut. IMHO

I absolutely love my TD Black. It's pretty to look at, the finish looks great at address, the weight feels very well-placed, and it puts a very smooth roll on the ball. I cannot yet recall putting a skid on the ball with this putter. It's nothing against the Pro-Type Tour, which I also like, but the TD just does it for me.

I rolled my #1W TD Black since it came out. Loved the feel off the face & weight was just right. If not for the MXM7 I picked up I would still game it.

I would select the Black Series Tour Design and there wouldn't be any hesitation.

Tungsten back weighting, nice milling, sleek design on most all the models. They are one of the best putters Odyssey has ever made in my opinion.

How durable is the pvd finish?

On the black series? I think you have to work awfully hard to mess it up. Take a look on the bay and there are really only a couple examples of putters that have lost finish, and they both look like they were put through a meat grinder.

Headcover on, I bet it lasts a LONG time.

Also, you're making me want to get the #8 again hahaha!

Holds up well in the Black TD. I have my #1W upstairs and will take pictures later. I've owned it since it was released.

That would be awesome mike. I'm looking at the 1w. Thanks for the input guys I really appreciate it. Now the only wrinkle is that I can get an original nike method for about half the price? What would you guys do? This is my first foray into a high for me end putter.

That would be awesome mike. I'm looking at the 1w. Thanks for the input guys I really appreciate it. Now the only wrinkle is that I can get an original nike method for about half the price? What would you guys do? This is my first foray into a high for me end putter.

I've had both lines, and if presented with a chance to pick again, would go with the Odyssey. While I felt the Nike put a nice roll on the ball, it was outdone in nearly every category (for me) by the Odyssey Black Series.

Honestly it's going to come down to preference and comparing the two. I've learned with putters they are the most personal club in the bag IMO. I can sing the praises of the Black TD until the cows come home, but you can roll it and be put off.

If possible, roll or get a look at a similar shape beforehand. I was able to roll an Odyssey Versa in 1W before buying mine. While the Versa alignment system isn't something I'm a huge fan of, I loved the shape and weight placement of the 1-Wide.

Ultimately it's about look & feel, so I can't say which one is better. But you're going to take something like 33% of your shots with this club. I think choosing what works for you matters more than the price tag. If you find what you like, scour e-bay for a better price, and if you can buy through an OEM's pre-owned program, do it. The vast majority of them undersell the condition of the club. I bought my putter through a pre-owned site, and it looked better than most store demo putters. No lie.

I love my TD #1W. I switched from a two-ball insert putter and the soft feel off the milled face sold me on it. It is stable through my swing and, personally, I like the blade look of the #1 W over the ball. If you're patient you can probably find a good deal. A few weeks ago, GolfEtail on eBay recently had new TDs #1W, #6, #8 and #9 on every few days and less often #4s and they were going for between $68 and $78 or so. I kept seeing them and almost pulled the trigger on a #9 or #4 just to try out. Somehow, though, willpower and the fact that I'm happy with my current putter kept me from pulling the trigger.

Ok to add a new wrinkle in this debate I'm love the black 1w, but my local pro had me try a seemore and I liked it just as much. Any suggestions between the two? I like them equally and can't decide.

if the method 001 had a sightline, i'd be gaming it over my protype.

Putters are fun because they're so personal. I love sight dots. Love them. Flange lines...meh

I have the Kombi belly putter and loved using it. Have been working on using traditional/counter balanced putters recently. Want to cut the belly down to a more standard length.

Ok to add a new wrinkle in this debate I'm love the black 1w, but my local pro had me try a seemore and I liked it just as much. Any suggestions between the two? I like them equally and can't decide.

Which model of SeeMore?

Odyssey protype tour vs black tour design vs Scotty kombi s

I'm a fan of this one

e4e2yveb.jpg

ebuzehym.jpg

And this one.

umapu7um.jpg

zave8y4a.jpg

a6uzasy9.jpg

yhe9u9un.jpg

And this one

e4y7ama6.jpg

a3e7a7uj.jpg

e6e3ugyd.jpg

Last edited:
The ones I can afford are the si2 or si3. Any experience with these?

Back