Lower End Choices & Gapping

I would determine which club I had a higher comfort level with between the 5w and 3hybo when it came to all the shots I intended to play with it. As well as how comfortable I would be knowing I had to step on a 4hybo to fill a certain gap. Personally I would go the two hybo route.

I would think that, considering you are a very good player, you could look at a course ahead of time and determine which distance gaps are most appropriate for that day, and set your bag accordingly. The fact that you have an arsenal of equipment to choose from gives you a slight advantage over the average Joe here. Leverage it.

This questions is making my head spin.... I like dropping the 5w and going with a 3h/4h combo.

I like your second option that you offered up, better gaping to me and no holes to fill with half or less swings.

or Aryodolphin intrigues me I think that could be cool.

I beat myself up over similar choices for the 2nd Morgan Cup and wound up going with a 3+ wood/5 wood/24 degree hybo combo and I really regretted it. I couldn't figure out for the life of me how and when to hit that 5 wood. As soon as I possibly could I scrapped that setup and wound up going driver/3 wood/18 degree hybo. I know that still leaves me with gaps but I know exactly how I hit each club and it really eliminates a lot of over thinking and mistakes on my part.

Sounds like you know what you want to do though, 4 hybo in your future my friend!

What about using a 4 wood to split the difference of the 3 and 5 wood? Probably give you a 220ish club. Also put in a 4 hybrid for your 195 gap.

Just did the same thing a few weeks ago. The x2hot 3h was pushed right up against the 5w so I ended up dropping the wood and adding the x2hot 4h. Time will tell... I used the 5 almost exclusively off of the tee though so I am liking my extra options now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I say scrap the 5 wood and go 4 hybo. The gaps look better to me

I think this is the way to go. At those distances I would rather have a comfortable full swing with a club rather than try and take something off or having to step on it. For me when I try to give it more gas it ends up in problems.

I would probably opt for the 4h unless you are so comfortable with the 5W that you don't want to pull it from the bag. Gaps look better with 3h/4h, but there is something to be said for having a "can't miss" club in your bag that carries over 200 yards.

I would personally drop the 3h and add the 4h. Then again, this is coming from a guy that hits FWs much better than hybrids and recently went hybrid-less opting for a 7w instead.

What about using a 4 wood to split the difference of the 3 and 5 wood? Probably give you a 220ish club. Also put in a 4 hybrid for your 195 gap.

The reason for shying away from that is because I often use my 3 wood off the tee and would not want to part with the extra yards of distance in that case.

Now I can take something off the 3 hybrid and have it go 195, but I am wondering if I am looking at this wrong and should remove the 5 wood and go with an X2Hot 4 hybrid to cover that 195 gap. That would leave me like this

205-210

I would go with this one, i think the 20 yard gap from 185 to 205 on the other set up is to much.

I would say that unless you play a course where that 5W distance comes up alot I would go with the hybrid.

I would drop the 5-wood and the 3-hybrid and add a 2 and 4 hybrid.

I'm late to the party but I'll add my 2 cents. I have the same distances 3w thru 5i as you do and I had a gap between 4h and 3w that I just filled with a 5w. That said...if it wasnt for the killer deal on the 5w I would have waited and saved up for a 3h. I would rather hit a hybrid than a FW if possible. If the x2hot 3h is giving you the same distance as your 5w then I personally would switch in a second. Sounds like you like your 5w tho so it may be a hard decision. Whatever you decide between 5w and 3h...I think a 4h is exactly what you need to fill the gap.

In fact, if I had more resources (see: money) I would probably still drop the 5w for an x2hot 3h even tho I just bought the 5w.

Two thoughts:
1) I'd love your carry distance. Very nice.
2) Given you have some much comfort, familiarity, repeat-ability, etc. with the F5, do you really want to pull it? I mean, I can understand boredom, but any club that you are that confident in, and that is so easy to hit off of the deck would probably stay in the bag for me.

You're a way better golfer than I am and have a handicap that I can only dream of. With that type of game, you can clearly hit anything.

For a hack like me, I'd probably keep the F5 and put a 4 hybrid in. Any club that plays as well as the F5 seemingly does for you would stay in my bag. Given the extra juice of the X2Hot, then that 4H is probably going to play long as well and fill the gap.

The reason for shying away from that is because I often use my 3 wood off the tee and would not want to part with the extra yards of distance in that case.

I game the Amp Cell 3/4, set to 4w, and my numbers off the tee are very similar to the numbers I get with it set to 3w. Obviously, the shaft is the same length, so an adjustable fairway wood might be handy for you.

I like the Hybo option due to versatility. Another thought might be in regards to ball flight and conditions you play in most frequently. I know my x2 Hot has a really good trajectory for wind while some of the 5 woods I have gamed in the past I tended to hit a little too spinny and high

I continue to struggle with these same decisins. Once inconsistency is taken out of the equation I settled on 3w (mainly off the tee) 5w (mainly off the deck) and 4h (tee and deck). This set up provides me with fairly consistent distance gaps as I don't smash the 5w to much farther than the 4h. Obviously you situation is different and it seems you have more consistent gaps with the addition of the 4h. I would say comfort is key as I image the hybrid is gonna be hit into greens. I'll be interested to hear what you settle on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Interesting question as I am in about the same situation with my bag at the moment.
I was just getting to the point of making a decision last season and now I am going to complicate things by getting new irons this season.
My choice was going to be to drop the 5 wood and stick with the versitility that the hybrid gives me.

tapping on my note s3

The 5 wood is great off the tee and deck. Easiest fairway wood I have ever hit off the deck. But at the same time, the hybrid is very easy and I am almost getting that distance.

There is your answer. 4 hybo it up!

I'd go with the Hybo better gapping and if your hitting it just as well that's what I'd game.

The 5 wood is great off the tee and deck. Easiest fairway wood I have ever hit off the deck. But at the same time, the hybrid is very easy and I am almost getting that distance.

JB - if both clubs play basically equal - which one is better from the rough / tough lies?

I'd pull the 5w. I actually recently made the change to a 3h, and I'm just purchasing a new one as well. I find the 3H is extremely versatile and allows me to swim anywhere from 210-245. That may be a bit longer than what you want, but you can do a lot with the distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right now I have a X2Hot 3 hybrid and I am hitting that about 210. My previous hybrid was 200 yards and this one ranges from 200-210 depending on if I step on it or not. So that leaves me questioning my setup.

Now I can take something off the 3 hybrid and have it go 195, but I am wondering if I am looking at this wrong and should remove the 5 wood and go with an X2Hot 4 hybrid to cover that 195 gap. That would leave me like this

205-210

Now it looks more consistent and more importantly in an area where I am more inclined to have the green light than having another fairway wood that I am not using as much since the 3 hybrid has given me more distance. The other option is changing the 3 hybrid to just a 4 hybrid and stepping on it when I need to or taking a bit off the 5 wood.

Im more or less thinking out loud here, but its an area I have been thinking a lot about recently and it came into play once today and I ended up choosing poorly.

J.B., from a course management standpoint option 2 will be your best bet. Not many par 3s will exceed the 210 yardage and you shouldn't have any more than that on a par 4 unless it's an errant shot. Par 5s could mandate that necessity but there's only 4 of those normally. Playing the percentages, I would take the consistent setup from 210-in any day...

Back