Votes: 32 13.4%
  • 150yards

Votes: 70 29.3%
  • 160 yards

Votes: 61 25.5%
  • 165 and up

Votes: 76 31.8%

• Total voters
Maybe it's not bragging rights and more related to wanting to make the game easier. And who cares if I have an extra wedge and no four iron now? Silly argument imo. My bag is setup to provide me the best opportunity to put down the lowest scores. Can't remember the last time I bragged or stroked my ego because of my strong lofted 8 iron.

It's more ego driven to whine that the guys hitting the strong lofted irons unfairly hit it farther. Wahhhhhhhhh.

Agree with Hawk - does it really make a difference what number is on the club? The only thing that's important is that you have the whole range covered. I could label my clubs as colors and it wouldn't make a difference, so long as I know which is which.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

For me it's actually about 163ish now, I didn't know which one to vote in!

Steel!?!? They're called WOODs because they're made of WOOD

Very interesting responses. Appreciate them so far. First it has been educational. While we all like to say the number don't matter, I do think human nature comes in at some point and you at least want to be hitting the same club as your buddies or maybe one club less. To realize guys here are hitting their 7 irons 195-200 yards when that is a 3H for myself it is kinda a shock to say the least. What I also noticed was that the ones with the long distances had various handicaps so that does help the fact the case that it doesn't matter the number it's about the score. The final thing I thought was cool was the variables that I really didn't take into account when asking the question, especially the lofts on the different manufacturers. I play older Ping I3+'s and after looking up the specs my 7 iron has a loft of 34 which is an 8 iron for a lot of newer clubs from what I understand. This does provide a little comfort to be honest. While I agree that it shouldn't matter the number it does make me wonder if I have major flaws to not be in a similar distance category with other similar golfers if that makes any sense. To now know that my 7 iron is actually probably more of an 8 iron in a more modern set gives me a little comfort and understanding of the numbers game. Appreciate the input so far and let's all keep on working to getting that number that matters, the score, as low as we can.

I plan on 140-145 for my 7-iron.

Still a novice. I'm working from a 3/4 swing most times to ensure I can hit the ball relatively straight. If I really yank one, it's going about 160 and is a pull left into a pine tree in Georgia.

In warmer weather I'm usually looking at 155-160yds for my 7i. Not sure with my new shafts installed as of yet because the temps haven't been warm enough to get an accurate idea.

I honestly don't think it matters how far you hit anything because how often are the conditions the exact same? I remember watching Sergio hit a smooth 6-iron into a 226 yard par 3 and then the following week he was hitting a 7-iron into a 150 yard green.

Think about the Honda and Doral this month. They were hitting 7-irons into a 202 yard green and then the next week at Doral big hitters (Gary Woodland) were hitting 4s and 5's into 200 yard par 3's. I also remember TW hitting 9 irons 190. Hell, at the Open Adam Scott was paired with TW and Rory and they all hit 5-irons into a 240 yard par 3.

My 7 iron is around 175 +/1 5 yards...usually.

Maybe it's not bragging rights and more related to wanting to make the game easier. And who cares if I have an extra wedge and no four iron now? Silly argument imo. My bag is setup to provide me the best opportunity to put down the lowest scores. Can't remember the last time I bragged or stroked my ego because of my strong lofted 8 iron.

It's more ego driven to whine that the guys hitting the strong lofted irons unfairly hit it farther. Wahhhhhhhhh.

Hawk, i'll disagree with some of this. Why is the game any easier if one who use to use a 7iron for a given shot now uses an 8iron because the club is simply lofted the same? It doesnt make it easier because its the same shot and esentially the same club except numbered differently. if you want to bring in a club from the 60's and 70's and talk technology then yes I would have to agree the clubs are better but just talking what has gone on with the loft game of recent then its not any easier imo. Basically a 7iron with the number 8 stamped on it. That doesnt equate to easier imo.

As far as ego i think it has alot to do with it. The golfing population is overall infatuated with distance. And quite frankly it sells. One of the first things people new to the game discuss, talk about, and brag about is distance and not with just driver but also how far one hits irons. No one really wants to be the only one in his group hitting an 6iron while the others are going 7iron or even 8iron.

Maybe many of us know whats more important than that but the general golfing public doesnt. And even very many avid seasond golfers want to be the longest. Hence (as you say) the whinning part. There are arguments on this forum all the time when it comes to distance topics. Why? because egos play a role in it. So the manufacturers basically imo play into that, feed off it, and even add to it. Its what sells. They turn that 7iron into a 8iron and falsely satisfy the ego thirst. Even one who may be very short by 2 or 3 club legnths is going (in most cases) to feel a bit better hitting a new 7iron where he use to hit an older 6i. But again, its not any easier if the club is essentially the same with a diferent number. And its also only temprary because once the longer players get the new club his distance drop off will again be equal to where it was before. I just think the whole thing is silly.

160 yards with my 10 year old PING i3+ irons.

160. My Irons have traditional lofts and are bent weak.

The simulator says 150y, but the one round I played with my new clubs before winter arrived had me at 160+. So I picked 150 but will see what real course playing says in a few weeks.

Hawk, i'll disagree with some of this. Why is the game any easier if one who use to use a 7iron for a given shot now uses an 8iron because the club is simply lofted the same? It doesnt make it easier because its the same shot and esentially the same club except numbered differently. if you want to bring in a club from the 60's and 70's and talk technology then yes I would have to agree the clubs are better but just talking what has gone on with the loft game of recent then its not any easier imo. Basically a 7iron with the number 8 stamped on it. That doesnt equate to easier imo.

As far as ego i think it has alot to do with it. The golfing population is overall infatuated with distance. And quite frankly it sells. One of the first things people new to the game discuss, talk about, and brag about is distance and not with just driver but also how far one hits irons. No one really wants to be the only one in his group hitting an 6iron while the others are going 7iron or even 8iron.

Maybe many of us know whats more important than that but the general golfing public doesnt. And even very many avid seasond golfers want to be the longest. Hence (as you say) the whinning part. There are arguments on this forum all the time when it comes to distance topics. Why? because egos play a role in it. So the manufacturers basically imo play into that, feed off it, and even add to it. Its what sells. They turn that 7iron into a 8iron and falsely satisfy the ego thirst. Even one who may be very short by 2 or 3 club legnths is going (in most cases) to feel a bit better hitting a new 7iron where he use to hit an older 6i. But again, its not any easier if the club is essentially the same with a diferent number. And its also only temprary because once the longer players get the new club his distance drop off will again be equal to where it was before. I just think the whole thing is silly.

It's easier because most of those clubs are also built to launch higher, go straighter, perform better on mis-hits, and in general provide a more playable option for the bulk of the golfing population. In addition, they can travel farther. You can say that the 7 iron is now an 8 iron, but in terms of looks and the way the club makes people feel, they are not the same.

As has been mentioned already, the location and conditions can make a huge difference along with the differences between the actual clubs

To give an example, at home with my Ping i3 O-size irons, I said I would be hitting around 165yds with my 7i - yet whilst on holiday in Jamaica a few years ago, I hired a set of TM Burner 2.0 to play a round and had a par 3 of 155yds so I pulled an 8i (as I was going off my distances at home) and flew the green by quite a bit - I hit a second ball with a 9i and even that was sitting at the back of the green and I suspect a PW would have been the ideal club selection

Whether it was the hotter climate or the clubs that I wasn't used to, I am not sure, but I was hitting almost 2 clubs further than I would here at home in the UK - it took me a little while to adjust as I was having to make a conscious decision about which club to pull for my approaches rather than getting a distance and pulling my usual club that I would at home

At the end of the day, I couldn't care less which club I have to use compared to anyone else as long as I know how far I expect to hit it - if it does what I want it to do then I am happy

For those bringing up the old 7i lofts vs new 8i those and being almost the same, I'd be interested to see your launch numbers on the two. My guess is the new 8i would launch higher than the old 7i, even though the lofts are the same.

I just get confused how a question about 7i turns into the loft debate.

I may hit my 7i different distances but there is alot into that.
150 157 and im happy with that all day.

It was brutal. One thing about Ohio in the Spring, any given day can get into 20mph+ wind dead into the face. Sucks so hard.

I dealt with this Tuesday evening. I hit a tee shot, over water (190 to carry) and my 4 iron came up short. I thought even with the wind, I would have made it pretty easily. Wrong.

My normal 7i is 140-145

can count on 160-165 all day, jump on it for 170+, knock it down for 140ish.

160-165. Depending on the conditions it will change +/- 5 yards or so.

175 is what I play it at it can be longer or I can take some off

Probably the lowest of the bunch, 130.

James, for what it may be worth, you are not alone. Thank you for posting, because I was beginning to think I was alone and was beginning to think other than my age something was wrong with me. Regardless of the yardage, the important aspect of the 7 iron is that whenever its used other than a lay up, the ball should end up somewhere on the green.

I just get confused how a question about 7i turns into the loft debate.

I may hit my 7i different distances but there is alot into that.
150 157 and im happy with that all day.

Because this quickly turned into a measuring/bragging thread and it's not really bragging when one mans 7 iron is lofted like another mans 6 iron.

Back