Guys in the 8-12 handicap range.....

Nixhex524

Reaction score
I am just curious as to what irons you are currently gaming, or have been gaming. I am playing to about a 10-11 right now and although I like my AP2s, I am wondering if I could benefit from something a little more friendly. Just wanted to know what you guys like/dislike and why. Thanks for any input.

I think what you should play completely depends on your game and not your handicap. Some guys are lower cappers because they can get up and down but don't strike the ball all that well consistantly so if this is your game I would go for a more forgiving iron maybe. If you're a good ball striker and have a short game costing you shots then I wouldn't switch irons. I currently play amp cells and am building a set of amp cell pros.

About to go back to the Altitudes. Plenty of forgiveness, high, and straight.

I will make the game as easy as I can.

I'm gaming the Callaway Apex irons and I am incredibly happy. They have a smaller profile but technology and forgiveness of a GI offering. Plus the feel of forged. They're perfect for me.

I totally agree, I know the clubs don't necessarily make the player but I do think there are contributing factors. Some guys may be playing a SGI while others could be playing blades. Although I told myself I wouldn't make a switch this year, I am looking at doing just that. Amp Cell Pros are a perfect example.... I love the way they look and feel, but I think over time, I may be kidding myself.. I have learned many things from being on this site and I think my biggest takeaway is to make this game as easy as possible so you can have fun AND score well.

Until just recently, ADAMS CB3. At the moment Bridgestone J40 DPC.

JM

I think what you should play completely depends on your game and not your handicap. Some guys are lower cappers because they can get up and down but don't strike the ball all that well consistantly so if this is your game I would go for a more forgiving iron maybe. If you're a good ball striker and have a short game costing you shots then I wouldn't switch irons. I currently play amp cells and am building a set of amp cell pros.
I agree with this right here. Cap isn't a great indicator of your ball striking ability. With that said, I have a goal to be damn close to scratch and I wanted irons that would give me feedback and ones I could grow into. The S55s are demanding but have forgiveness in the right places. I think you should look at the data of your game. How many GIR are you getting? Are your misses right/left or short? Let that dictate where you might go. If your success rate on your mid and long irons isn't very high, it may be reasonable to think a more forgiving set would help you. I know a scratch player that games G25s so I've seen people go either way

I have a comb set Rocketbaldez Tour 4-6 Tour Preferred MC 7-PW I prefer the small size head it makes me pay attention more i wanted a player look but forgivness Rbladez tours are forgiving in the long irons and MC provide me with good control in the short irons

I agree with this right here. Cap isn't a great indicator of your ball striking ability. With that said, I have a goal to be damn close to scratch and I wanted irons that would give me feedback and ones I could grow into. The S55s are demanding but have forgiveness in the right places. I think you should look at the data of your game. How many GIR are you getting? Are your misses right/left or short? Let that dictate where you might go. If your success rate on your mid and long irons isn't very high, it may be reasonable to think a more forgiving set would help you. I know a scratch player that games G25s so I've seen people go either way

I do not disagree with your statement on clubs relating to cap, this is purely a curiosity thing for me to know what you peeps are all gaming and how you're fairing. I prefer a smaller club head profile and sole especially but sometimes it feels like too much work, lol.

I have a comb set Rocketbaldez Tour 4-6 Tour Preferred MC 7-PW I prefer the small size head it makes me pay attention more i wanted a player look but forgivness Rbladez tours are forgiving in the long irons and MC provide me with good control in the short irons

I have never gamed a combo set, but I agree with all this and have considered a combo next time around.

will they be ready for INDY? that is the question

i would say i was in the 8-10 range last year prob 10+ after winter. when you see pros going to more forgiving clubs now a days it tells you something. if they are the best players in the world and most are moving away from blades especially in their lower lofted irons. i think the average amateur would benefit from playing a more forgiving club..as long as the looks dont bother him.

Playing Burner 2.0's. Probably sticking with them one more season. Might be able to gain distance by going with something else, but hoping more familiarity with them leads to better overall results.

Always wanting to upgrade, but the cheque book is holding me back.

Playing to a 7.8 currently and am gaming the Cleveland Altitudes or the TM Speedblades. I'm not sure you can ever have too much forgiveness in the irons you are playing.

Playing Burner 2.0's. Probably sticking with them one more season. Might be able to gain distance by going with something else, but hoping more familiarity with them leads to better overall results.

Always wanting to upgrade, but the cheque book is holding me back.

I switched from those irons to the Nike pro combos and with the change I dropped 3-4 shots almost instantly (after I learned my new distances) but I lost just over one club length with the switch, those burners were stupid long for me, but the scoring clubs in my nikes may be some of the best feeling clubs I've hit. Highly recommend a combo set

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Well you're only as good as your last round right? :)

For what it's worth, I still hit the ole Callaway X12's 3-PW, and the Cleveland Gun Metal wedges.
I just haven't ever hit anything else that I like any better .. and I've hit a lot different heads/shaft combo's.

I just replaced my wedges after .. forever! and the x12's were thrown back in late last year.
Something about that under-cut in that particular head, I can't get the same feeling from anything else.

P1363525.jpg

I have played everything from the Altitudes to Mizuno Blades over the last year. What I have taken from that is to play what you are comfortable with, and while it goes without saying, no club is going to fix a hook, slice, or poor course management. When I played the altitudes my scores didnt drop considerably because my my ball striking sucked. I started lessons this year because I wanted to choose the clubs I played and not try to find a club to bandaid my problems. I feel right now I could probably post about the same score now with my blades as I do my gamers but alot of that is due to my short game. Im all for combo sets!!

Last edited:
I would agree that the clubs don't matter too much, although I started hitting a lot more greens when I got my current irons, because my previous irons were just not for me (OLD Ping i3s). I play Rocketbladez Tour irons, and I like them. They do a great job of correcting my two most common misses, toe shots and hitting the ball low on the club.

I have played R9s, Adams CB3 and now Xhot Pros. I used to be one of the ones who said index doesn't relate to which clubs they use, but have changed my stance.

Well I'm not a guy but I play Ping i20s 7i-PW and use 3-6 Razr X hybrids.

Callaway XHot Pros. I tried around 14 different iron sets and found those had the best performance for me. Try as many as you can until you find the one for you.

IMO, play with the equipment that you are comfortable with and perform the way you need/want them to, and don't be bothered by what others are gaming. Currently, I am playing Mizuno JPX-800 PRO irons mostly because of their feel and feedback after hitting a ball. I have played forged irons for many years (Hogan Apex Edge previously) and just can't get used to the feel, or more noticeably, the lack of feel from a cast iron.

I have tried several different types of cast irons recently and noticed that some sets did hit the ball a little farther than my 800's but they just did not have the same accuracy or feel that I want. Bear in mind that the 800's are a GI iron and are quite forgiving for a forged club.

Now, if I could just get a handle on this putting issue, as I mentioned in my signature,......the three putts can kill.

I'm all about forgiveness with the irons. X2 Hot irons fit that requirement and they work for me.

Maybe try a combo set with AP1s in the long irons?

I'm hitting Ping G25's, 4-UW, and before that Ping G10's. Prior to purchasing the G25's, I spent a lot of time hitting just about every GI iron at the fitting center. It was a close call between Ping and Mizuno, but in the end the Pings just looked better at address, and felt better.

I suggest hitting as many GI irons as you can. Good luck in your search.

I went from R11 irons to i20s. Hit them the same in terms of yardages and forgiveness, but like the looks of the i20s better. Yardage consistency with the i20s is a bit better for me as well.
I have been itching for a set of forged irons (will be keeping the i20s too). Went in thinking I would get AP2s or MP54s but hit the Apex Pros so much better. At least at the range I hit the Apex Pro every bit as well as the i20s. Fingers crossed I can reproduce that at the course!
*I hit the Apex Pro better than the standard Apex. Distances were within a few yards despite the jacked lofts on the standard Apex and my dispersion was way better with the Pros. I guess it all comes down to the individual's swing,....the extra forgiveness became a non-factor for me after seeing the numbers.

Playing to a 7.8 currently and am gaming the Cleveland Altitudes or the TM Speedblades. I'm not sure you can ever have too much forgiveness in the irons you are playing.

I'll admit, the speed blades have caught my eye, too. The last GI irons I had were the x24 and I really didn't know what I'd be missing when I got rid of them.

I have played R9s, Adams CB3 and now Xhot Pros. I used to be one of the ones who said index doesn't relate to which clubs they use, but have changed my stance.

I can see both sides of it, but I tend to lean more towards the equipment definitely aiding in our overall improvement.

Well I'm not a guy but I play Ping i20s 7i-PW and use 3-6 Razr X hybrids.

That title was never meant to not include any of the ladies!!!! :) I did game the i20s for a while, and although I liked them, something about them just wasn't right for me no matter how bad I wanted to continue with them. I can see how people succeed with them though.

I'm all about forgiveness with the irons. X2 Hot irons fit that requirement and they work for me.

Maybe try a combo set with AP1s in the long irons?

Thought about this... but actually, I'm ok with my 4,5,6 irons. It's the ones below that I am having more trouble with believe it or not.

Thanks for all your replies guys/gals, keep it coming, I like the input!

Back