Guys in the 8-12 handicap range.....

will they be ready for INDY? that is the question

They will be ready for Indy, I'm not sure if my swing to game them on that course will be ready. There is a chance I bring both sets of irons with me.

I totally agree, I know the clubs don't necessarily make the player but I do think there are contributing factors. Some guys may be playing a SGI while others could be playing blades. Although I told myself I wouldn't make a switch this year, I am looking at doing just that. Amp Cell Pros are a perfect example.... I love the way they look and feel, but I think over time, I may be kidding myself.. I have learned many things from being on this site and I think my biggest takeaway is to make this game as easy as possible so you can have fun AND score well.

This is the way I feel as well about them. I'm making them as a second set because of the way they look and set up. I'm hoping to get to a point where they can become my permanent gamers. For now I will practice and play with those and my Amp Cells at the same time. As much as people will say to make the game as easy as possible, you have to be confident in what you're looking at. Finding that compromise between looks and ultimate forgiveness is the key. If you have the opportunity, hit as many irons as you can before making the switch.

I'm a 12 H/C and have moved from GI irons recently to Mizuno MP-59's. I was fitted for them so the shafts are a big improvement on the old ones, but other features of these "player's" irons have also been positive. The reduced offset is far more comfortable for me and I feel like it has helped to improve accuracy. Chip shots (I use 7I and 9I a lot) seem easier which I think is due to the reduced bounce, and the compact size helps me focus attention on the strike.

I guess what I'm saying is get irons that suit your swing, rather than worry about the category they fall into.

Im in the camp that believes you should game what makes you happy. I game the callaway apex pros. Sure there are days when I can definitely use a more forgiving head, but I take it as motivation to improve. Ap2s are prettt forgiving IMO

Playing the Cobra s3 pro's. I love them, they fit me well and I find the long irons the easiest I have hit they are very forgiving and give me a nice high ball flight and decent distance. I can hold a green with all my clubs and they feel great.

I agree with Cookie. Altitudes are a very easy club to hit. They hit the ball long and high which is a win for any golfer.

I like a mid size cavity back iron w/o a big fat sole a little offset. Just prefer the looks & I think fat soles tend to bounce off the hard fairways too much on the courses I normally play.
That could change in a wetter climate I suppose.
Currently playing the 2011 Taylormade CBs.

I just moved from the Cobra AMP Cell Pro blades to PING i25's. I see the biggest change in ball striking in the long irons. Just so much more forgiving in distance loss vs blades. I find myself not having to work as hard when hitting them.

I play to a 12.5, and I'm currently gaming the Wilson Staff Ci11s...a wonderful combination of forgiveness and sleek looks. This being said, I came from the Di11s, which were a bit chunkier but INCREDIBLY forgiving and at times I do miss them.

Callaway X-14 pro Series, they are old but so am I

J40 DPCs.
Considering the size they pack enough forgiveness in the 6-pw to go along with great feel and stellar looks. I could probably use more forgiveness in the 5i, but with more practice I'll get it figured out.

Ping I20's... I just cannot migrate from them. They are forgiving, straight and just fun to hit!

Last year I went from Callaway X-12's to Ping G20's and dropped 4 strokes off my handicap, I was hitting the ball straighter and getting more distance and Ping did a outstanding job of gapping with this set. I cannot wait for this season to start as it took me a month to figure out my distances with the new clubs but by the end of the season I was playing some of the best golf of my life.

Current: Apex Pros

Last: S56s

I'm nowhere near a 8-12 caper but I play Callaway X18. I do like them but to be truthful I've never hit any other club. Thinking about being fitted for a new set of irons soon.

I think what you should play completely depends on your game and not your handicap. Some guys are lower cappers because they can get up and down but don't strike the ball all that well consistantly so if this is your game I would go for a more forgiving iron maybe. If you're a good ball striker and have a short game costing you shots then I wouldn't switch irons. I currently play amp cells and am building a set of amp cell pros.

Totally agree. I'm a 12, but my short game is what let me down. I play an older set of forged TM irons (300 series) and love them. Great feel great performance. It's all about what you like and how much confidence you have with those irons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think, like everyone else mentioned, it depends on your miss. I went from Wilson Staff Di11's to Callaway 2013 X-forged and there were definitely growing pains. LOL there was a time when my 4/5/6 irons all went the same distance as my 7 iron. I actually remember one particular round when I first got them where I actually wanted to hit anything BUT an iron because I couldn't find the center of the face. Having something less forgiving has forced me to practice and get better. Now my irons are without question my strength and my round is made or broken by my driver. My short game and irons are consistent, whereas I still have good and bad days with the driver.

AP2's should be more than forgiving enough for a 10-12 cap...unless you've got a 20 capper long game with a scratch short game. If thats the case, get more forgiving irons.

I ended the 2013 season at a 12 hc. My short game is one of my strengths; irons are ok to iffy. I play the TM RBZ's 3i-AW

I play Mizuno MP-53 irons and love them. Great feel & forgiveness. Played my dad's AP2 irons last season for a few rounds while I was in-between iron sets and thought they were great irons. Was seriously considering buying the AP2 irons before I decided on the Mizuno's.

I think, like everyone else mentioned, it depends on your miss. I went from Wilson Staff Di11's to Callaway 2013 X-forged and there were definitely growing pains. LOL there was a time when my 4/5/6 irons all went the same distance as my 7 iron. I actually remember one particular round when I first got them where I actually wanted to hit anything BUT an iron because I couldn't find the center of the face. Having something less forgiving has forced me to practice and get better. Now my irons are without question my strength and my round is made or broken by my driver. My short game and irons are consistent, whereas I still have good and bad days with the driver.

AP2's should be more than forgiving enough for a 10-12 cap...unless you've got a 20 capper long game with a scratch short game. If thats the case, get more forgiving irons.

I do like my AP2, I go back and forth whether to stick with them or get something new since there are so many nice options out there. I will probably keep playing them for now, I just like to hear what you all play and why. Thanks for the replies, good stuff!

I'm playing with the Cobra Amp Cell Pro's, and I wouldn't change them to GI or SGI irons ever. They are forgiving, long enough and the feel, for me, is awesome. For me, those are the friendliest clubs I have hit.

Go with the clubs that you want to play, those that makes you feel good. No club can fix a bad shot, some clubs help you with off center shots, but I bet that if you feel confident and you like the club you are swinging, you are bound to hit better shots.

I'm a 12 playing AP2's, and they won't be getting changed until the grooves wear out. I absolutely love em!!!

I played Callaway X-20s for 3 years. I am not the longest off the T and rather inconsistent. I had to make myself scramble to get down in the 12 HOP range. I didn't play at all last year and I'm going to have to shake off the rust. However I just bought a set of rocket bladez tours. Really liking them right now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Im a 7 that up until this season always played a SGI iron....admittedly my mid to long irons was always the weakest part of my game, playing and practicing has helped as well as a proper fitting

I'm a 12 that switched from callaway razr x to callaway x hot pros. Ball striking has never really been an issue with me, it's the short game that keeps me from single digits. Like the extra distance of the x hot pros and they offer an adequate amount of forgiveness. Don't think I will go back to an iron with a large amount of offset again

I played Adams CMB's with PXi that were MOI matched before Kang let me borrow his KBS Tour V's. A flex stiffer than what I think I should be playing, but they feel great together. Plenty of forgiveness, but let you know where you fall short.

Back