Is there a brand.....

In the grand scheme of things it all boils down to preference. Taylormade is the #1 driver for a reason I guess.

because they put up big $$$ to be that. Although there is a chance they will get overtaken next year

A few years ago if it wasn't Taylormade, callaway, or titleist then I wouldn't touch it.

Now I will play anything that performs for me regardless of manufacturer. Glad I changed my perception on manufacturers because I have loved my Wilson v2's.

Rocketing it from the hosel!

Im not in this discussion, but frankly that is no different than another company with their golf balls. Find out how many of "the most used on tour" is using the current ball that you can buy in the store. At least some add the disclaimers....Because in the case of the balls...None exists.

And that's a fair point. But unfortunately golf balls aren't viewed as a long term investment, the way clubs are, by many. Buying a driver or set of irons can take up a huge chunk of income for some. Me being one of those people, I'm not interested in keeping up with the Jones's because of "technological advances" every 3 months or misleading marketing.

I was skeptical of the Optiforce last year and as you saw, hit it pretty damn well, at least as good as my 910. But that was only 6 months ago, and who is talking about the Optiforce now? No one. You can probably pluck them off the Bay for next to nothing. I just don't like buying something, only for it to be obsolete in a couple months time.

And that's a fair point. But unfortunately golf balls aren't viewed as a long term investment, the way clubs are, by many. Buying a driver or set of irons can take up a huge chunk of income for some. Me being one of those people, I'm not interested in keeping up with the Jones's because of "technological advances" every 3 months or misleading marketing.

I was skeptical of the Optiforce last year and as you saw, hit it pretty damn well, at least as good as my 910. But that was only 6 months ago, and who is talking about the Optiforce now? No one. You can probably pluck them off the Bay for next to nothing. I just don't like buying something, only for it to be obsolete in a couple months time.

Well, to play devil's advocate, most golfers will spend more on their golf balls (buying premium balls) over a 12-24 month period than their clubs. Hard to bash one type of marketing as "deceptive" then praise another brand's "marketing" when they are being just as "deceptive". (deceptive not being the best word, but the only one I have).

Add to that, if the Optiforce was working for someone, then they would not need to switch.

Just because a company comes out with something new, does not make the previous line no longer work. Case in point, you are not playing the 913, but the 910. It seems to work fine for you.

I have a weird aversion to anything Ping or Adams. I know they make quality products all across the spectrum but not one of their items has ever screamed "hit me!" while I was browsing through the golf store.

Felt the same way about Ping till I saw the s55's and the i25's. Their woods don't do much for me still, though.

As for Adams...well, everybody knows how I feel about Adams haha. I could game a whole bag of those guys now (including putter via Yes!), whereas two years ago I was definitely a subscriber to the "old guy clubs and hybrids" stereotype.

Well, to play devil's advocate, most golfers will spend more on their golf balls (buying premium balls) over a 12-24 month period than their clubs. Hard to bash one type of marketing as "deceptive" then praise another brand's "marketing" when they are being just as "deceptive". (deceptive not being the best word, but the only one I have).

Add to that, if the Optiforce was working for someone, then they would not need to switch.

Just because a company comes out with something new, does not make the previous line no longer work. Case in point, you are not playing the 913, but the 910. It seems to work fine for you.

I'm not praising any marketing. I don't buy because of marketing. I buy based on what I like, looks, performance, options, service, what not. Hell, my signature might say ProV1 one week. B330-S one. Z-Star another. I like them all. I've just played some better rounds with a Pro-V1. And it's not because it's the most played on Tour.

Someone said why would you look at a club as an investment. Well, some do and have to. If I don't like this, can I recoup what I have in it and move on? Your obviously going to take a loss, but just how much? I feel like buying Titleist gives me a greater chance to recoup money spent, based on 2 year cycles and less glut in the market to deal with.

Generally no. But, if I'm trying out equipment, I will say that Nike is probably one of the last ones that I would try out. There are too many other options out there and I'm confident that I will find a winner before getting to option 6/7/8. I haven't hit a ping iron in years, and that's because of the same thing. Nothing against them, just find good fits in the first few. It's not a purposed snub, just ends up that way. (Conversely, I would love to hit some Cobra stuff, just haven't gotten to it and haven't had a cobra club in my bag for nearly 20 years. Go figure.)

It's unlikely I will ever play taylormade. I don't like their over the top marketing, now their threat to sell non-conforming clubs has left me with even greater disdain for them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not praising any marketing. I don't buy because of marketing. I buy based on what I like, looks, performance, options, service, what not. Hell, my signature might say ProV1 one week. B330-S one. Z-Star another. I like them all. I've just played some better rounds with a Pro-V1. And it's not because it's the most played on Tour.

Someone said why would you look at a club as an investment. Well, some do and have to. If I don't like this, can I recoup what I have in it and move on? Your obviously going to take a loss, but just how much? I feel like buying Titleist gives me a greater chance to recoup money spent, based on 2 year cycles and less glut in the market to deal with.

Although I don't consider TaylorMade to be a company I wouldn't game, I do agree with a lot of what you are saying about launching clubs like missiles. I also agree with the term "investment" as it relates you our overall game improvement and enjoyment, not linked to the dollar return, as nothing we ever buy appreciates. With that said, If TaylorMade releases driver A and it is supposed to be the best thing ever, people want to buy it because it's the best available. So they'll drop the 350-400 on it. 6 months later, driver B is released and it is now the ultimate in technology at $400. This now devalues driver A. 6 months later-1 year, driver C is released, again with super claims of it's performance. Drivers A and B are now old news making them less desirable to most and are no longer viewed as the next best thing, just old news. I can see how dropping $400 on a driver only to have it look like old news a year/year and a half later can get under people's skin. I want to buy something knowing that the company itself at least stands behind it for some time. Yes, people want options which is why even companies like Titleist will release the 913 range when in reality, they may not even have to as from some tests I have seen, the 910 still performs as well as, or out performs, the 913. So, I do realize these companies need to stay relevant but I DO think TM has been overdoing it over the last couple years with drivers.

Hopefully this all made sense.

because they put up big $$$ to be that. Although there is a chance they will get overtaken next year

Do you really think so? I wish we were privy to those marketshare numbers.

I wouldnt say there is not a brand I would not try, I am pretty open. Have played Mizuno, Taylormade, Bridgestone, Cleveland, Nike and Titliest. But some I would say I am loyal to and would purchase again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nope. If it works best for me I'll play it, regardless of company.

Heck, I would hit the Hammer if it would work. But I really do not like Nike for some reason. I know they are in Fort Worth and probably are nice folks. I just view them as the evil empire in the sports world. Frankly I am starting to see TMAG the same way. If the product stinks they will just advertise the heck out of it.

Too bad about the Wilson perception as a K-Mart brand. They make some of the finest irons out there. The Ci6 and Ci7 were awesome. I currently play the FG V2 Tour forged set and they are awesome. Switched from Ping i20s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

Too bad about the Wilson perception as a K-Mart brand. They make some of the finest irons out there. The Ci6 and Ci7 were awesome. I currently play the FG V2 Tour forged set and they are awesome. Switched from Ping i20s.

i have been looking at the V2's also i think if i can get them on the cheap i might pick up a set. i am more price driven then anything else.

i really have never had a club that i bought that didnt work for me i just practice with it and its fine i adapt.

I would have said Wilson until I got the two ball sleeve of FG Tour to demo. Now all bets are off for the future.

Yes, people want options which is why even companies like Titleist will release the 913 range when in reality, they may not even have to as from some tests I have seen, the 910 still performs as well as, or out performs, the 913.
IIRC, Titleist readily admitted that the 910 was great hardware and they built on that solid foundation with the 913. That's why I really don't intend on leaving my 910 any time soon.

I'm not opposed to playing a particular manufacturer, but if I had to pick a last resort, it would most decidedly be Nike. I just have this underlying mistrust of them. Maybe it is brand perception. I feel like they just started making golf equipment because they can. Jack of all trades, master of none. Football, soccer, skateboarding, and golf. Creepy.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Pre THP, yes.
Post THP, no.

Exactly! I never actually hated any particular brand, but certain ones never really seemed to get on my radar, for whatever reason. Now I'll give anything a try, even if it doesn't appeal to me right away.

I cant say there is specifically any brands that I wouldn't own but there are brands that i have never given a chance. I had never hit a nike club until this year but loved the covert vrs driver and wish I had considered it before i bought my r1. Ive never swung anything cleveland besides their wedges but they are the only wedges I have ever owned. Never tried anything mizuno or cobra either although I would like to test some mizuno irons. This is the first year I have owned anything ping and I am loving my new hybrid and putter. I think since the r7 superquad I have always gone to taylormade drivers although I was very close to going with the Titleist 910 d3 driver last year. All Ive ever owned is taylormade and callaway irons and always seem to go back to callaway irons but there are others I would still like to try.

I say play what works for you. Golf magazine ranks the Nike VRS Covert Forged as the top irons in the game improvement category....so by not testing them because a certain golfer plays Nike you are only hurting yourself.

Ping supports the military/Wounded Warriors so they get a thumbs up in my book. Tiger's tournament in Maryland...now sponsered by Quicken....supports the military too. Military get in free plus a complimentary military tent with food, etc.

i think as of right now all the major equipment makers make quality products most have good R&D departments. the performance of all the brands clubs are bunched up pretty tight i would say.

so if your not playing said company ..its just because you like another company for some other reason..marketing, look of clubs, style ect.

I do sort of understand the perception though - they aren't doing themselves any favors by selling golf stuff under Wilson brands (Wilson Ultra is one I know I've seen) along with Wilson Staff. Honestly, when I was first getting back into golf, I wasn't aware that Wilson had a high quality line left, and I had thought they went the way of other brands like Tommy Armour.

I agree about Wilson, however, I believe that even their entry level offerings are very well made and a quality product.

I've had my Rocketbladez for a week now, and there are certain qualities about my Wilson Prostaffs that I like more than the rocketbladez.

To me, it further reinforced how much of an underdog Wilson really is. But you are right. Wilson needs to really up their marketing/brand perception to the masses which focuses on their higher end gear.

Other than a Cameron putter, I don't have any brands I won't play. I do enjoy playing a less popular ball, just so I don't have to mark it and there is no confusion on the course. I really don't understand why golfers will spend $47 a dozen on ProV1's when there are so many deals on equally good urethane balls for under $30. Cameron putters are way over priced, IMO, and too many of the guys that play them at my club are just wealthy guys that can't play or putt at all. A couple of those guys also carry staff bags but can't break 90.:act-up:

I like it when other golfers perceive that I must not have a low index because I'm playing Wilson irons, Maxfli balls, and an Adams driver.

Back