Gaming G15 irons looking for same quality and forgiveness but lower launch

toddhale010

Reaction score
Handicap
Title pretty much says it all, I'm a short hitter with my irons mainly due to the high launch. My 7 iron is a 130 yard club for me and pretty much 10-12 yard gaps in all my irons from 4-SW. I hit the G15's great but my driver is about 240 so I end up hitting a 5/6 iron more than I'd like. I'm also starting to hit a high draw with the G15's since taking lessons last fall. What irons are out there that I need to look at? I hear a lot of people claiming Mizuno is the way to go on irons but my Pings have been so great it's going to be hard to get away from them. I've talked to Ping and they suggested the new G25's but by reading on the forums there really isn't enough difference in them to justify the price to change to them.

I would suggest just changing the shafts to get the launch you seek. Perhaps some KBS C Tapers or True Temper Dynamic Golds.

I agree with BogeyMan60. I'd look into different shafts if you really like the G15 heads. Most of the GI irons are kind of geared toward high launch with stock shafts, because that's what a lot of golfers buying irons in that category are looking for. I've had the same issue with stock irons/shafts that I've tried this year, so I went through an extensive fitting and ended up settling on i25's with KBS Tour shafts. Lowered the launch and got more distance at the same time. I hit the stock CFS shafts really high, but loved everything else about the iron. It takes a little work some times, but getting the right setup is worth it in the end.

I will go a different direction. The goal of those irons is to launch very high. The lowest launching shaft is most likely still going to launch rather high.

I bought a set of I15's with KBS tour shafts for my brother in law but since we live 3 hours apart I haven't got to try the I series on the course. I hit a few balls on the range with them and they felt nice just not sure if my golfing level is ready for the I series. I'm not really looking to work the ball at this point I like hitting it straight for now, I do occasionally need to hit a fade with a iron if I miss my drive on a couple holes but otherwise straight is great. How do the I series Pings compare in forgiveness?

You may want to give the i25's a go with a True Temper Dynamic Gold or KBS C-Taper shaft installed. The i25's have less offset than the G15/G25 so this + lower launching shaft should get the ball down some and still give you the forgiveness you're looking for.

Not mentioned a lot here but Wilson C100's are strong lofted iron with a pretty penetrating ball flight and lower cost than some other irons. I only hit the demo club but it felt nice.

I'm with JB. The CG on these is low, so shaft can only make so much difference. My only question - are you sure you're hitting them too high? Are you losing distance? When I last got fit, I was surprised with the height the fitter suggested was ideal when we were comparing irons. I'm hitting the ball higher now, but gained distance.

I'm with JB. The CG on these is low, so shaft can only make so much difference. My only question - are you sure you're hitting them too high? Are you losing distance? When I last got fit, I was surprised with the height the fitter suggested was ideal when we were comparing irons. I'm hitting the ball higher now, but gained distance.

Agreed. I bet height isn't the issue. It may be a byproduct of the issue, but height is not necessarily a bad thing. The lowest hitters I know would amaze you how high they hit the ball.

I am hitting very high but idk that I'm losing distance since I haven't compared them to anything else on the course. When I first started playing I was using Adams A12OS hybrids and irons, I switched to the G15's and started hitting them higher than the Adams but the distance was pretty much the same. The Pings might have been 5 yards longer but my swing then was way off though so it's hard to say . The PGA pro I'm taking lessons from had started working with me before it got so cold here trying to lower my ball flight because I was seeking more distance from my irons but he didn't think I was hitting it to high he liked my ball flight.

Back