Is tempo important to you?

I guess tempo is important to me. When my backswing is too fast, my downswing tends to be too fast and I slice the ball badly. When I intentionally slow my backswing I naturally slow my downswing and my slice is much less prevalent. When I was using persimmon woods I would pause my backswing at the top prior to transitioning to my downswing. I had better results with that technique for me.

Now that I've got a set of SGI clubs, I've got to get to a driving range to actually see what they do for me. I'm thinking a slower backswing and downswing is still what's required for me...

My tempo has a large effect on my game. I play the lightest flex shafts I can play in my clubs due to me having a smooth tempo. With my irons my tempo has to be right just as as well as my balance. With my driver im going 110% on my swings to crush the ball . My tempo is a little faster there but I use my balance to counteract that. But yeah, my tempo is a major part of my game

Tempo is crucial to my swing. I already knew it and my new instructor reiterated it to me last night.

Not a single gawf dang thing comes from me having a quick tempo.

Practice swing every swing delivers the best results I can get with what I have.

I find it to be very important if I want to have a chance to hit the ball. I'm 5'11, 250 lbs and have a tendancy to want to Hulk smash the ball into the ground. That's why the club fitter I saw and intructor I use suggested heavy shafts. They were hoping it would slow me down. My DG S300's seem to help alot. I bought an 80 gram X-stiff driver shaft for my R1, hoping that it will do the same thing for me. I was trying to swing out of my shoes with the 55 gram stock stiff. It felt like I was swinging a whip around, and probably made for a hilarious scene for the other people on the driving range/course.

all pros have close to a 3/1 tempo in one way or another in their full swings. I bought the tour tempo app. It has many different speeds like 18/6 fast and 27/9 slow, but all are 3/1. I use 21/7 myself, or have been practicing using that one.
It also has the putt tempo setting, which is 2/1 instead of 3/1. I haven't practiced that one yet though.
I decided to buy this after looking at my numbers on my 3bays gsa analyzer. I was not even close to consistent, so needed to work on this.

$25 for the Tour Tempo App on iPhone! They are crazy!!!

$25 for the Tour Tempo App on iPhone! They are crazy!!!
Ya its alot overpriced. It took me awhile before I decided to bite the bullet. In the grand scheme it hopefully will make me shoot more consistent, which makes me really happy. Money well spent.

Wanted to give this thread a slight bump after working on my tempo this morning, swinging inside with no ball.

I have the Tour Tempo audio tracks that came with the book ripped to my iPod. I swung my wedge a few times, using the tempo I was using at the range last week (I was hitting fades with most clubs). Then I swung to the 24/8 tempo tracks.

Wow.

My "regular" swing was so much faster. I'm guessing my fades are once again from trying to kill the ball, instead of swinging with a smooth tempo. Which makes sense, knowing my history of not transferring my weight on the downswing.

Looks like my headphones are coming with me on my next trip to the range.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Great bump my tempo on 3wd and driver are killing me right now as it's too fast. Got work to do to fix it.

Tempo is very important.

Yup, I sucked with my 3W this past Saturday, and it cost me BIG. The culprit?.....Tempo! Great bumps guys.

JM

Yup, I sucked with my 3W this past Saturday, and it cost me BIG. The culprit?.....Tempo! Great bumps guys.

JM

My coach told me to put mine back in the bag and leave it there the other day #iwassucking

As a follow up, and like Tadashi, this season I am just accepting the fact that I am not a long hitter (yet- this is my second year of playing) and am doing an 80% swing. I hit is soooooooooooooo much straighter and it is easier to keep a good tempo when you are not putting everything you have into every swing you take.

As a follow up, and like Tadashi, this season I am just accepting the fact that I am not a long hitter (yet- this is my second year of playing) and am doing an 80% swing. I hit is soooooooooooooo much straighter and it is easier to keep a good tempo when you are not putting everything you have into every swing you take.

While this is true to an extent, distance cones from a proper and efficient use of your lower half during the swing, not from the effort exerted. It's all about building up potential energy and transferring as much as you can into kinetic energy. Like a catapult or a sling shot, if you pull the slingshot back and hold it there, you lose energy. If you pull it back quickly and release too early, you lose energy. But if you pull it back at a steady pace and release at just the right time, that baby will shoot to the moon. The power in a golf swing is pretty similar and thats tempo.

As anyone who played with me yesterday can attest. Tempo is a "Big Deal" for me.

We all know or have heard of the importance of tempo in the golf swing. It's sort of interesting that I never really paid much attention to tempo until I got some Adams irons. They were equipped with KBS Tour 90 shafts and I learned here on THP and on the course that these shafts DO NOT like bad tempo.

I worked on a more even tempo'd swing since last year and I believe it has helped my game. This past weekend at the Adams event, another THP'r commented that he could really tell that my tempo had changed.

Is tempo important to your swing? If things go bad do you check your tempo? Have you ever tried a smooth 80% swing for an entire round or is good tempo just hogwash?
JM

Not hogwash at all. I try to be at around 85 to 90 percent on every shot with the exception being chips. This leaves a little in the tank when you need a extra few yards. Very important.

Tempo is one of the most important things in my swing right now, if I get to quick at the top I come over the top, but if I stay smooth I have a nice tight draw. My instructor is big on tempo his biggest thing is to swing not like BUTTER, but buuutttter.

Back