was told today to try NOT to practice passed 150 yard shot (club equivalent) on turf

Infoe

Reaction score
Handicap
Any truth to that?

I would think that excludes teeing up.

I always though the woods and 4iron would take very little divot as compared to wedges and high irons so it almost seems it should be the other way around?

What's the reasoning behind it? I mean that is really where you can score but if you are only practicing 150 and nothing else, how many strokes is it going to take to get you to a comfortable yardage and are you even going to have a good shot?

I think it important to practice all aspects of the game but having a heavy emphasis on 150 and in certainly won't hurt you.

Interesting. I have a bad elbow and the mats always hurt my arm. I do strike down on the ball taking a nice divot(when all goes right).

Would like to hear more thoughts on this.

Who told you this, and what were the circumstances? If it was a professional giving instructional advice there must have been a reason. If it was a buddy or someone else, that would be different.

Most golfers agree that shots from 100 yards and closer are vital to good scoring, but you've got to be able to get the ball there in a reasonable amount of strokes - hitting the ball longer than 150 yards.

I think if you're relatively new to the game and are taking lessons this is good advice, it's more important to keep the ball in play than hit it far, plus a lot of teaching pros early on grab the 7 iron and want you to stick with that for a while.

I worked with a Pro for a little while last year who said if you can't make a good swing with a PW then you won't make one with any other club. His philosophy was to start with the short clubs and work your way up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I've never heard this before, but I personally think hitting off mats give you a lot more spin. I don't know if it's actually true data wise but I feel I produce a lot more spin than normal.

Unfortunately it's been so wet here all I've been able to do is hit off mats..I haven't noticed much of a difference

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I've never heard this before, but I personally think hitting off mats give you a lot more spin. I don't know if it's actually true data wise but I feel I produce a lot more spin than normal.

I saw a post somewhere from a fitter (I don't remember where, if I find it I'll update the post with a link) saying that mats were good for ~500rpm of extra spin or so. How true this is, I'm not sure, but I do feel that I see more rollout when I hit from the turf vs the mats at the same range.

Intresting...I would like to know more.

I do something similar. I usually warm up with this method. I try to hit full swing 7irons no further than 100 yards. Teed up drivers no further than 150. It is all about tempo and controlling your swing positions. It really does help to even out the movements in the swing. And much harder than you might think.

Some days I go to the range and don't pull any thing lower than 8 iron so I will work the whole time from 150 and in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I once had my instructor bet that I could shoot under 100 from tees at 5800 yards using nothing more than an 8 iron. This was on a course with no forced carries. I looked at him like he was crazy and then he had me do the math. I average 34 putts per round, which leaves me 65 other shots to use and still come in under 100. 5800/65 = 89.2 yards per shot.

We went out and both did it and not only was it a very fun round, it was my first round under 100. I need to keep that in mind as my handicap continues to climb.

I once had my instructor bet that I could shoot under 100 from tees at 5800 yards using nothing more than an 8 iron. This was on a course with no forced carries. I looked at him like he was crazy and then he had me do the math. I average 34 putts per round, which leaves me 65 other shots to use and still come in under 100. 5800/65 = 89.2 yards per shot.

We went out and both did it and not only was it a very fun round, it was my first round under 100. I need to keep that in mind as my handicap continues to climb.

Never thought about that, very neat way to reinforce course management over trying to be long all day

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I could certainly understand wanting to hone in on the shorter clubs but ultimately we need to hit the whole bag with success. When I do range I work from short to long and then move around the bag. I want to get the same feeling with all the clubs. Sometimes I get stuck on a certain club for a while before moving on. But in general I hit them all or at least every other one.

Something to bear in mind is that your longer clubs may be the ones you're more likely to hit fat or thin. And one thing that artificial turf will mask is the effects of fat & thin hits. So when you're being told not to hit those longer shots, it may be because you can get more misinformation from fake turf on longer clubs. By comparison, due to the deeper swing plane, if you fat or thin a shot with a short iron, you'll know, even off of turf.

Back