Cobra Fairway Woods and others

canucks27

Reaction score
Handicap
Some fun
Hello all, this is my first post. I am currently looking for a 3 wood for my bag and before I go out to try some I was looking for some good suggestions that would be for around a 20 handicapper. I was have been looking at the Cobra Bio Cell and the Amp cells, if any of you have tried the two could you please let me know if you think it would be worth spending the extra money for a year 'newer technology'. Thanks all and have a great day.

Hello all, this is my first post. I am currently looking for a 3 wood for my bag and before I go out to try some I was looking for some good suggestions that would be for around a 20 handicapper. I was have been looking at the Cobra Bio Cell and the Amp cells, if any of you have tried the two could you please let me know if you think it would be worth spending the extra money for a year 'newer technology'. Thanks all and have a great day.

I found the Bio Cells easier to hit and the stock shaft pairing to be a huge improvement.

I have an amp cell that I just bought yesterday that I would like to sell. Its a 3-4 with stiff shaft fujikura fuel. Payed $120 plus tax. Will let go for $75 delivered.

Capitalism: God's way of determining who is smart and who is poor!

I'm about a 20 capper. I would suggest looking at the XL. I think it's a bit more geared for our games. Honestly, I think it looks better and I like the rails.

I'd definitely give the baffler series a look. I'm played last year's baffler t-rail + 5w and love it. Very consistent and easy to hit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look more into these.

first of all welcome to THP, you'll like it here.

I cant speak for the cobra fairways, I didnt try any, but go and try some if you can, I am sure you will find the best one for you

I'm not great with fairway woods and for my game found the Cleveland Classic XL, Nike Covert, Ping G20, and Amp Cell to work best forgiveness wise and also easiest to hit. Nothing Taylormade or Titleist worked too well for me.

But everyone's swing is different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd definitely give the baffler series a look. I'm played last year's baffler t-rail + 5w and love it. Very consistent and easy to hit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

If you're willing to go a year year or two old, then I'd suggest the Baffler T. You can get some fantastic deals on them (< $60 shipped) and they really perform well. Honestly, I think they're better than the Amp/Amp Cell.

Sweet Il definitely look at them. I'm willing to play what ever works. Who cares how old it is!

Honestly, I wasn't a huge fan of either with the stock shaft, so if it were me I'd probably go Amp Cell and put a different shaft in. My recommendation if you are willing to spend the money is the Callaway X2 Hot - it is 100%, bar none, the BEST 3 wood I have ever hit, and the stock shaft is outstanding (Aldila ATX 60 Tour Blue, real deal). Super forgiving, and easy to launch off the deck or tee. You can get one for as low as $140 or $150 if you're lucky (I paid $140 each for my 3 and 5 woods off eBay, and I think a THPer is selling some for a good price right now), but retail is $230. I also really like the Cleveland Mashie if you're OK with a deeper face (played one before but switched cause I wanted a shallower face), and these are really cheap online. Other good suggestions are last year's X Hot and the Titleist 910/913F.

Sweet Il definitely look at them. I'm willing to play what ever works. Who cares how old it is!

I know it wasn't in your OP, but I have an Adams Super S 3W that is an absolute monster. They can be had so cheap too. But Cobra has an excellent lineup as well. Can't go wrong with either IMO.

Sounds like there is tons of good choices, now all I have to do is try em out. Also SkiBumGolfer, would you recommend buying clubs on eBay?

I personally found a tremendous improvement from the AMP Cell to the BIO Cell. The Bio Cell is infinitely better.

I'd skip the 3w altogether and go with more loft.

X Hot 4wood can be had for a good price.

I'd skip the 3w altogether and go with more loft.

X Hot 4wood can be had for a good price.

Bio 3-4 set to 16*?

#Boom

Muahahaha

Or even the 5/7 or whatever it is.

Truth, mine is set to 17*, good stuff. Still long and easier for most people to hit.

The 3w, 4w, 5w debate is probably based a lot on swing speed. I'd agree for a lower swing speed player, a 4w or 5w makes a lot of sense. You're going to hit it just as far, if not further, and it is probably going to be a bit more forgiving due to a shorter shaft and additional loft.

Whether or not the shaft is going to work in the Baffler T is going to be a similar type of discussion. If you're a lower swing speed player (i.e. regular flex), then that extra shaft kick is going to be a good thing.

As a slower swing speed player, I am gaming a 4w. I would also definitely bag a Baffler T with the stock shaft. I really like those Tour ADs.

You'd mentioned Cobra specifically, so I was kind of keeping comments to Cobra. If you are open to other OEMs, ones I like are the XHot and the Tour Edge Trilogy. Both are down the depreciation curve. The Trilogy is ridiculously easy to hit and elevate, and the Ginty sole is really good in a variety of lies. I've found the XHot (once I shortened the shaft an inch) to be a combination of fairly easy to hit from the deck, but also pretty long from the tee. These are the two best that I've played (and we have a similar handicap) and I've probably had 20 FWs.

I also owned and didn't particularly like the Mashie FWs. I had trouble elevating both the 15.5 degree F3 and the 14 degree TF3 from the deck. The TF3 was great off of the tee though. Maybe the F5 is better, but it's still a deep face with a rather compact looking head from the top down.

If you're looking for easy to hit I just bought the Baffler XL 3 wood and also the 3&4 hybrids. They get the ball up with very little effort and so far my misses have been minor and still very playable. I'm a 18 handicap and driver swing speed 95-97 so I'm not a long hitter but the Baffler XL 3 wood is a good 200 yard club for me. I would highly recommend these to anyone looking for a wood or hybrid they can have confidence in. I bought the hybrids in a retail store but picked up a brand new 3 wood on ebay for $135.

Back